Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Applying normal map correctly

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by TheMonkeysaur, Jun 15, 2018.

1. TheMonkeysaur

TheMonkeysaur

I have created a test normal map for a cube with worn edges in blender, and in blender it renders correctly.

I've imported it into Unity, and it is a "tiled" like image. Meaning that it is 3 x 3 squares one for each face, I will attatch it here.

In Unity, to make the map fit properly I have had to tile it in the material editor at 0.33 on the X & Y axis.

What I am finding is that many of the faces of my cube are using the same "tile" (the same normal map face).

I must be doing this wrong, can anyone tell me how I can make my object map the normal faces correctly?

Thanks.

2. mgear

mgear

are you testing with the default unity cube primitive?
    probably it has different UV mapping then, or did you try exporting the cube from blender also?

3. TheMonkeysaur

TheMonkeysaur

Thanks for the reply, I think you nailed it. I was assuming I could apply the blender created normal to my Unity cube, but actually the size and UV mapping difference was screwing things up.

Just tried from scratch so I could scale my blender cube to Unity units first, then used the new normal on my imported blender cube and it works fine and no need to mess with the tiling of the map either.

One quick question though, my normals seem to have some quite defined seams at the edges, is there anything I can do about those?

Thanks for your help!

4. Deatonjc

Deatonjc

not sure with blender but i know max has a uvw map add or uvw wrap on of those could help if theyre on blender. should be able to flatten the polygons and move them around over the map.