Search Unity

AppLovin Proposes to Buy Unity Software in Deal Valued at $20 Billion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Luemus, Aug 9, 2022.

1. Luemus

Luemus

2. GCatz

GCatz

what kind of sick joke is this?

Airmouse, drawcode and mgear like this.
  3. Luemus

Luemus

That caused a crash on AppLovin btw :D

upload_2022-8-9_16-34-53.png

4. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

The buying company always suffers nearly no matter who's involved, since the investors who believe the transaction will happen, just jump ship to the "to-be-bought company" and likely profit and after the merge, automatically have stocks of the buyers again.
    Unity jumped further 5% after an already strong week.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
    JoNax97, ontrigger, Neopy and 3 others like this.
  5. stain2319

stain2319

The writing has been on the wall for some time in my opinion. Unity has been behaving like a company positioning itself to be acquired. It reminds me very much of the behavior of CA Technologies back in the day... Wonder if anyone is embezzling ;)

drawcode likes this.
  6. gjaccieczo

gjaccieczo

"Proposes" does not mean "bought" or that anything has happened (just yet). It's just a bid, though a peculiar one in the light of not so recent events.

Basically this is the merger that Unity should have gotten instead of all the controversy.
    Also:
    Source (from the link provided by OP): https://www.barrons.com/articles/applovin-unity-software-takeover-bid-news-51660049615

7. CityGen3D

CityGen3D

This is a very poor unsolicited offer and I think (and hope) it will be rejected.
    It makes no sense to sell now when the wider market is down so much, just a few dollars above IPO price.

Even if the intention is to sell at some point, then it would make more sense to use this as a catalyst to attract much higher offers from bigger companies when the wider market has recovered from the current downturn.

It's the Unity earnings report tonight, so be interesting to see what they say about it.

Rewaken and DragonCoder like this.
  8. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Legend

Just a reminder to everyone before you all go crazy & jump to conclusions that this is currently only an Offer.
    This can be accepted, negotiated or rejected.
    Acquisition offers have been made to Unity half a dozen times in the past and Unity to this date has not been acquired yet. :)

Obviously, this is a developing story. Interesting to see where it goes.

9. pekdata

pekdata

Would AppLovin be a good owner for Unity? Are they doing something or just buying tech companies?

10. Shizola

Shizola

"If the deal happens, AppLovin will take on Unity’s name and Adam Foroughi, AppLovin’s CEO, will become COO of the new company. Unity’s current CEO John Riccitiello (who recently made statements that did not endear him to the developer community) would become CEO of the combined entity, called Unity."

Considering all the recent bad news I fully expect this to happen as well.

GCatz likes this.
  11. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

An acquisition doesn't make any difference. Funny thread. Was amusing, now I'll make a cup of tea.

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  12. neginfinity

neginfinity

But nothing happened. I can offer to buy this galaxy. For a dollar. That offer would be rejected.

AppLoving net worth is estimated to be 20 billion, I don't think they can even afford it. Besides unity is not obliged to accept.

"If"

13. SoftwareGeezers

SoftwareGeezers

How so?

14. SoftwareGeezers

SoftwareGeezers

It depends what involvement the acquiring party has and whether they change directions. eg. a company could divert attention to 3D cinema to the detriment of mobile devs, or vice versa. Or do nothing and let Unity carry on with whatever they want. But in the games sector, there are quite a few stories of great devs acquired and then ruined as a result. An acquisition could be a good thing, or a bad, or neutral.

15. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

16. Voronoi

Voronoi

All this activity just makes me wonder what direction Unity is heading in. The Weta purchase seems a completely different direction compared to all of the ad-mobile activity. It's almost like there are 2 factions in the company - one is interested in games and game technology (Weta, Gigaya, etc.) the other faction is interested in where the majority of their income has been coming from (mobile ads) and greatly concerned with new privacy restrictions hurting that market.

I'm only interested in a game engine and one that works well. Great if people make money off mobile ads, but that is of zero interest to me. If the company becomes an engine to deliver ads on mobile, with some game functionality, that's not good for people who like to make games.

Airmouse likes this.
  17. drawcode

drawcode

Please no. Microsoft buy Unity please. With the U stock going off a cliff they are an acquisition target now. Microsoft they are cheap, please buy them.

Airmouse, Gekigengar, xeleh and 7 others like this.
  18. neginfinity

neginfinity

I don't think Microsoft is a good enough company to take care of the engine properly.

Also it would be significantly more entertaining if Unity was acquired by Epic Games instead.

Meltdown, Gekigengar, Rewaken and 4 others like this.
  19. SoftwareGeezers

SoftwareGeezers

Every, is the intention. Unity already has the strongest presence in the mobile space, but there are plenty of rising contenders to threaten that dominance. Meanwhile, UE5 is securing the prestigious realtime content market and making a name for itself in AAA visuals for every title thanks to its lighting tech. Unity hasn't really got room to grow doing just a game engine and it faces getting squeezed if it doesn't find a way to compete on other interactive media fronts.

I dare say Unity is becoming a jack-of-all-trades, master of none at the moment. On the one hand, ECS is the future of game development and performance titles. OTOH they want to compete with UE5. And OTOH they don't want to lose ground to lighter, more focussed game engines without Unity's legacy baggage. Tough spot to be in, I think,

20. gjaccieczo

gjaccieczo

Why? I mean, i understand the skepticism aimed at Microsoft, but some of their acquisitions (e.g Github) went pretty well.

That would raise a lot of eyebrows at FTC and in the EU and i don't think that Epic needs another "Epic vs. the world" type controversy right now.

Shizola likes this.
  21. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

22. gjaccieczo

gjaccieczo

Most likely getting an upper hand in the advertisment market to...perhaps bring in more money for the engine development? :D

23. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

So how many stocks do you have, and where do you work?

24. tatoforever

tatoforever

If Unity is looking for options to sale, please do it to a company that care about games... :V

25. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

i care about games. I'll buy unity, for tree-fiddy

tatoforever likes this.
  26. The_Island

The_Island

Unity Technologies

I mean, this is already what we do. The ad revenue is what finances most of the R&D for the engine. So yeah, more ads revenues mean more money on the R&D. But I own stock, so my opinion is biased, I guess.
    I feel Unity does care, but we are doing a terrible job of communicating it. When deals like that overshadow all our work, it proves we need to change how we communicate with our users—anyway, my two grains of salt.

27. Murgilod

Murgilod

We have been saying this for like seven years.

moo1210, Ruslank100, Amon and 5 others like this.
  28. neoshaman

neoshaman

Dang, I expected someone here to explain who are those applovin guy, and now I have to do the job myself Lol :p right now I have no idea what that means at all.

29. The_Island

The_Island

Unity Technologies

From what I understand, there are four main competitors in the mobile ads industry, Applovin, ironSource, Unity and Google. Applovin is right now #1 in the competition from what I understand.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
  30. stain2319

stain2319

Buying up seemingly random companies which make it seem like you aren't sure what direction you go in - the point being to show increases in revenue growth while also engaging in a lot of restructuring and layoffs etc. It seems like a company starts "flailing", throwing different acquisitions to see what sticks and the next thing you know, a company that buys companies is coming with an offer...

31. Ryiah

Ryiah

32. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

My understanding is that AL is afraid of the IS merger, and is trying to convince Unity to merge with them instead.

Even though both of these events are technically acquisition, they're better understood as merger from a laymen perspective.

It's anyone guess which side Unity will chose. Either way, I believe the result will be the old "make more money and get more users overall, at the cost of alienating certain groups of existing user" story.

33. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Im pretty sure ironsource is a done deal. Its not "in the pipeline", its done. So its not anyones guess, unity already clearly communicated what side they picked. Whether or not they will also "merge" with applovin is a seperate topic altogether, but ironsource is a done deal.

pm007 likes this.
  34. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

35. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Yeah I mean they can ask for whatever they want, the sun and the moon - but it doesnt make it a reality.

The ironsource deal has been worked on behind closed doors for a long time, Unity are not going to just dump it.

Ofcourse given this is unity and they dump stuff a lot, I guess never say never :p Still, I wouldnt hold my breath on this one!

pm007 likes this.
  36. Murgilod

Murgilod

It speaks volumes of the goodwill that Unity has absolutely squandered over the last several years that even somebody breathing the idea of this offer is causing this reaction.

hippocoder, GCatz, neoshaman and 3 others like this.
  37. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

The proposed deal leaves Unity with 49% voting rights. In the unlikely scenario this goes through, they'll actually become an ads company.

Lymdun likes this.
  38. pekdata

pekdata

I have a bad feeling about all this. But if you look at the positives, appraised to be worth $20 billion is still something.

stain2319 likes this.
  39. neoshaman

neoshaman

It's a story of shark and blood.

40. razzraziel

razzraziel

All I can think of McLovin...

Anyways, even the name itself is first red flag.

elias_t, Airmouse, chingwa and 7 others like this.
  41. gjaccieczo

gjaccieczo

All of them, meaning that i don't have to work. I just don't see any other explanation for all of that "we need to have more involvement in ads" stuff other than creating a cashcow to offset dev related expenses.
    I'm surprised to have my not-so-wild guess confirmed.

42. gjaccieczo

gjaccieczo

More like "have a smaller ad company" at your side and have more control over it or become one with a much larger company but with the pseudo "50/50" split. The first gives them more control, but the second might give them more money and if enough publicity is provided, perhaps is going to override the entire Ironsource controversy.
    Either way, something is going on.

43. impheris

impheris

i do not care anymore about this business side. Whatever helps me to make money with my next game, please

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
    blueivy likes this.
  44. Airmouse

Airmouse

I would so leave Unity forever if it were owned by mclovin,
    Epic Unreal Engine sounds so much more lovely.

45. Ryiah

Ryiah

Clearly you mean Tencent Engine, right? :p

46. Airmouse

Airmouse

Yeah! Ten Cent, with a 401.97B market cap

I actually prefer Unity more than UE, but I'm pretty sure customers would perceive UnityLovin as a kind of low quality thing

47. Murgilod

Murgilod

Ah yes, because if there's one thing that's a sign of quality, it's IronSource, the company that was repeatedly embroiled in adware scandals and had one of their core products blacklisted by Microsoft and has its own antivirus entries.

48. Airmouse

Airmouse

This is all just so saddening :(

49. ippdev

ippdev

That invades your OS at startup...crashes..destroys model hierarchy, does not have retargeting ... and folks wanna whine around here about slave labor or greenwashing or climate crisis claptrap. Well the CCP owns Ten Cent and hey are guilty of many things and I will boycott them wherever I can. And..the ten centers trolling over here all the time to raise FUD is annoying.

50. Airmouse

Airmouse

I have developed for both engines. Unity is the most practical especially for machine learning and industry. However I was just pointing out that a roboticist company might think twice about incorporating software made by a company called AppLovin. As a technician I certainly would chuckle for a bit, then just keep looking for another solution (Python perhaps..).