Search Unity

Application.tick - what does this mean?

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by laurentlavigne, Jun 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

in 2020.1b12 I run an alayze selected rules and get this:
    upload_2020-6-26_18-5-55.png
    it seems to be a generic application message box...

phobos2077 likes this.
  2. MaltedWheaties

MaltedWheaties

I get this too, including others like 'Application.Message', 'Application.ExecuteMenuItem, 'AssetDatabase.Refresh' or 'GUIView Repaint Scene'. They are caused by holdups in tasks Unity (usually) does in the background, like Refresh the scene/inspector, complete the task you just asked it to do, check if the assets in the system files have become different to the ones Unity has, or complete all other tasks for a frame. Seems to be caused by slow hardware (I am on a rather slow laptop. I sometimes get delays of up to 5 mins on these 'hold on' popups, though they are not as long when my system has been on for a while and gets chugging), I am currently running 2020.1.0f1 Pro Version and have been getting these messages since even before 2018, though as Unity add more and more features, and with every release it seems to be getting worse. I believe it is something they are working on, though.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  3. RobinopdeBeek

RobinopdeBeek

I just updated my project to 2020.1.8f1, and started getting these a lot! Never had this problem in 2018 or 2019 versions. Now I am getting the Application.Tick, Application.Message, Application.EnterPlaymode and more with almost everything I do. Importing packages, entering/exiting playmode, switching scenes... It makes Unity unusable for me :(

4. evilmano

evilmano

Its getting more and more pathetic.

gliealonso likes this.
  5. celinedrules

celinedrules

Same here. I constantly have to force quit and restart Unity. Makes me not want to use it anymore.

6. QGGameDesign

QGGameDesign

same here, my desktop rig had its monitor to present a failure so I'm using my laptop and its horrible, I've been on a Application.Tick for 9 mins now because I clicked STOP IN A MOFU EMPTY SCENE that I WANT TO TEST STUFF INTO, THAT I HAVEN'T EVEN ADDED YET.
    This is some 2020 bs because when I used 2018, 17, 19 or 5.x it NEVER AND I MEAN NEVER BEHAVED LIKE THIS, now on 2020 even my desktop shows these awful messages that CUT OUT THE WORKFLOW YOU GENIUSES, even though on my desktop they show for 5 to 10 seconds at a time, not to mention that it gets WORSE the bigger the project. In fact we have chosen to keep our ongoing project in 2019 due to this.

7. kalinins1998

kalinins1998

This message suddenly appeared on version 2020.1.7.f1, I had never seen it before on the same version. This message takes 5 minutes each time, even though my PC is powerful enough and does not use even half of the resources. I have a Xeon X5650 6/12 24Gb RAM and RX480 8Gb when the project is running, 14-15Gb of RAM, 5-6GB GRAM are used, the processor is loaded by 15-20% The project is on the SSD, everything is in order with it, it has 97% health and no errors. But I continue to receive this message for 5 minutes after each exit from the play mode.

8. darthmccead

darthmccead

I have application.message upon opening my file, but it has been there for seven hours. What do I do to fix it?

9. zemeryj

zemeryj

easiest solution is probably switching to UE4, the application.tick message eventually disappeared after a minute or two for me.

10. ratking

ratking

Getting Application.Tick and others a lot during work, with Unity 2020.1.17f1. Was this fixed with 2020.2?

11. davidla_unity

davidla_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey all, this is very curious. I haven't seen anything like this before. Though, it sounds like this may be more an issue with the Editor side of things rather than our package specifically? I only think that because it appears some of you only started seeing this message after updating versions of Unity.

If anyone wouldn't mind submitting a bug that would help a lot. If this is an engine side issue that'll help the appropriate team get visibility into the situation. And if it does turn out to be something on the Addressable side it'll help us to have a good repro as well.

I can poll my team and see if anyone is aware of something and update if I can get any more useful info.

12. Ymmersive

Ymmersive

I'll just go back to 2019.4 LTS. I like using HDRP in the 2020.2x version I was using but it always stalled with "Hold on...Application.Tick" for, I think, forever.

13. bilalandlareb

bilalandlareb

I don't know why but in my case it is caused by a script responsible for writing data on firebase. Removing the script solved the problem.

14. Honikou

Honikou

How did you found the script responsible of that ?

15. ScorphiusMultiplayer

ScorphiusMultiplayer

Please post the steps that you took for removing it.

Thanks in advance for your replies

16. altepTest

altepTest

Using an asset named DoozyUi I've messed something and ended with an error in the console, trying to get back to the editor and out of the play mode got this error. The asset said it detected something that could create an infinite loop but I think it stopped this and showed the error. While trying to get out of the play I got stuck to this message

I think it ended up after 10 minutes, maybe some setting in the editor to wait 10 minutes before unity kills this message?

Annotation 2021-03-01 003037.png

17. altepTest

altepTest

Ok so turned out that the error was caused by the asset not working correctly when entering play mode when Reload Domain is disabled.

There was nothing wrong with me setting it up I've had the Reload Domain turned off

I suspect is the same for others scripts, so if any of you have this issue turn on Reload Domain in Project Settings -> Editor -> Enter Play Mode Settings

SreeHarry, Alic and BPRICE like this.
  18. Entagon

Entagon

applicationtick.PNG
    Got the same problem in unity 2020.2.1f1. I left it running while eating and... this is madness! Anyway, I will try upgrading to the recent LTS later, see if this solves the problem.

19. Morphus74

Morphus74

Need a cancel button for that dialog...

20. Entagon

Entagon

Upgrading to 2020.3.1f1 didnt solve the issue. I am working on a huge project and would like to continue... :)
    Anyone any more ideas how to solve this? I didnt mess with reload domain, so the solution suggestion above doesnt work for me.

21. Entagon

Entagon

I tested around a bit and noticed, that this happens only when exiting playmode, that was started in a certain scene. If I start the game from another scene everything is fine. If the scene gets loaded during runtime (when transitioning from another level into the level in question), everything is fine. Only if the scene was the first level to be loaded when entering playmode, the Application.Tick box appears when leaving play mode.

Octay and Jodwig like this.
  22. KarlKarl2000

KarlKarl2000

It happens when I exit play mode, enter play mode, swap software ie:visual studio back to unity and sometimes even when exiting prefab mode.

Unity team was on such a hot streak making the editor silky smooth. :(

Screenshot 2021-04-05 194947.jpg

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    unity_uCAh1YGgjxXPOw likes this.
  23. CausticLasagne

CausticLasagne

I am glad they put in dialogs for loading background tasks. At least it tells you what it is doing instead of just hanging there with no confirmation. If you get these a lot upgrade your PC.

24. felinchene01

felinchene01

bruh I got this for putting 30 asset together.

Attached Files:

25. osmani

osmani

Getting also a Hold on, Application.Tick and others a lot during work, with Unity 2020.3.1f1 ! couldn't this be removed or make it back how it was....? Its blocking the editor, This is unbearable!!

26. weto4ka

weto4ka

upload_2021-5-6_16-30-38.png
    Yep, just annoying... I updated my script with few lines & now wait almost 1 hour to continue work.. it's just crazy

27. CSNomadProductions

CSNomadProductions

Having similar issues.

there’s an option to turn off the AutoSave feature whenever you’re working on prefabs. That seemed to fix the issue partially. (At least, my annoying hang-for-10-seconds-on-every-editor-action issue)

I can’t quite seem to nail it down either, but from what I can tell, it seems to be an issue with either nested prefabs that have collider meshes and/or prefab variants. In general (every time I’ve tried to make a prefab variant unity throws a fit if I make even minor changes to the variant)

Edit: Came back to my project this evening. Running 2020.2.1f1

It seems, for me at least, that the issue is definately stemming from Something related to pre-fab variants. My start times went from 1-10 seconds to OVER A MINUTE when dealing with simple scenes where I had certain prefab variants. If I turned the variant into its own Prefab, the problem seemed to get worse and was only rectified when I deleted the prefab from the project files entirely.

Last edited: May 7, 2021
    msafa160754 and gliealonso like this.
  28. CSNomadProductions

CSNomadProductions

So I think I've narrowed down the culprit further, at least in my situation.

I can reliably recreate the 'application.tick' issue by taking a pre-fab, lets say a generic wall asset for making a room, placing multiple instances of that pre-fab inside a new pre-fab, say like a whole room, then using Pro-Builder's 'Merge Objects' feature, try to merge several wall pre-fab objects into one.

Depending upon the complexity of the merged objects, this step can take several minutes, but that's kind of expected when merging objects. Where the issue seems to start to creep in is if you try to use Pro-Builder to modify these merged objects that were once their own pre-fabs. When you do that, you may start to notice the Editor lag substantially. The more extreme the modifications, the greater the lag.

I think this deals with how PB handles merging objects, as whenever I used this feature, It seemed to have a hard time figuring out which parts of the multiple objects were meant to be the 'true surface' to re-calculate normals and such.

For example, I one time merged ALL of my wall assets in a boss room into one 'super wall' object. This took the better part of 10 minutes. When PB finished the merge, my normals were all sorts of messed up and it was showing the back side parts as the 'surface' in some areas, and the opposite in other sections. So whenever you modify the mesh, PB has to recalculate off these Normals again. (Another note-worthy observation, if I were to stack 3 wall segments and 'merge-objects' them, the editor would lag for a second or so every time I duplicated this merged object with 'Ctrl+D'. HOWEVER, if I kept the 3 wall pre-fabs separate, but selected all three for duplication, there would be no issue/lag/hang ups.)

Culprit.PNG

My theory is if you use such an asset with these 'merged-object-pre-fab' things, I think Unity recalculates the Normals for each instance of the asset every time you enter/exit play mode.

CURRENT 'FIX': So unfortunately, it seems the only way to rectify this to go into the prefab and delete all merged objects that use pre-fabs. I know it's not perfect, but I hope this helps some people save at least some work. (Not to mention some hair-ripping frustrations)

KMSHotline, Alic and Syine like this.
  29. Syine

Syine

I can confirm the issue seems to be linked to the "merge objects" in pro-builder, as mentioned above.
    I'm still a noob with unity but after looking around, this seems to be the culprit in my current project. It's a huge pain, as I spend hours working on a level that is causing the long load times between entering and exiting "play" mode and bringing up the dreaded "Ticks" message.

I have found that "unpacking" any prefab that has been merged seems to solve the issue, at least for me. Re-packing them as prefabs also seems fine so far.

CSNomadProductions likes this.
  30. p13t3rm

p13t3rm

Wow, a year of various gamejams and prototypes that always grinded to a halt thanks to this issue.
    Always had a feeling it had something to with my Probuilder prefabs.
    Just deleted them and unpacked ones that were never even merged and the tick issue completely went away.

Alic and CSNomadProductions like this.
  31. BPRICE

BPRICE

This worked for me

KMSHotline and Alic like this.
  32. zeynolladamir123

zeynolladamir123

Wow that helped to me, i just deleted some assets that i created by probuilder.Thank you!!

CSNomadProductions likes this.
  33. CSNomadProductions

CSNomadProductions

Happy to help :D

34. TheGamery

TheGamery

Really need a cancel button for these stupid boxes, at the moment I have to exit Unity with Task Manager, very annoying.

35. TreyK-47

TreyK-47

Unity Technologies

Locking this thread, as nothing new is being discussed and the conversation has run its course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.