Search Unity

1. Unity 2020.1 has been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Apple Watch

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by fmarkus, Sep 9, 2014.

1. princeWIGUAN

princeWIGUAN

Don't ask me that.
    Ask yourself, what would you think when you see another person wear those?
    Or have the latest iPad.
    I buy the latest iPad, but I do utilize everything I have to their last moment.
    I'm still using iPhone 4 and an old Macbook Pro (2011).

2. StarManta

StarManta

<actual science mode>You'd need to control for more variables. There are a lot of groups trying to improve the health and fitness of Americans, and if another one should happen to succeed this year, Apple shouldn't necessarily get the credit. You should observe people that buy the Watch, over a period of a year or two, and then find a similar demographic of consumers that did not buy the Watch, and see if there is a difference in their change in obesity rates over time.

3. StarManta

StarManta

I do the same. I bought my iPhone 4 on launch day, and I'm still using it. I might do the same with the 6.

4. princeWIGUAN

princeWIGUAN

I plan to get iPhone 6 Plus and one kind of Android phone to assist me with Android side of development.
    Still don't know what model yet.

As for WATCH, I do plan to get it too.
    For the sake of drowning into the pop culture and perhaps there will be really a gold mine from the demography of users.

5. Ogien

Ogien

Bottom line,

1. iWatch has apps
    2. Apple fan boys will still buy it regardless of any of the above points
    3. Apple fan boys will need apps
    4. I want to make & sell those apps

Its a new market people we need to be in it

princeWIGUAN, DallonF and StarManta like this.
  6. Per

Per

@macdude2 - Agreed, the last thing I want from any functional accessory is bling, understated is always best. No-one with any sense wants to go around with a big "Mug me and take my stuff!" sticker on their forehead.

However Apple may be playing up to that, taste and decorum may be what some want but that may not actually be the majority feeling of the general Apple buyer these days, they're no longer the cool trendy computers for artists, or even lifestyle products for hipsters brand they once were, this is after all the company that bought Beats. It's amazing how many gold iPhones I see wandering around the supposed poor welfare ghetto's of SF and Oakland. The danger of course is that this is the exact same strategy Sony used just before they tanked and totally destroyed their brand from premium to worthless over the space of a couple of years at the turn of the millennium, but for right now the money is rolling in and short sighted or not, it's hard to argue with success.

7. Per

Per

Also whether you buy one or not it doesn't matter, if other people do and you have access to the tools to do so, then there you have your market. Make hay while the sun shines.

8. macdude2

macdude2

I suppose its possible the same could happen to Apple, but I sincerely doubt it. I feel what most distinguishes Apple from other companies is their ability to "see" the future – to have foresight behind every decision. Yes, if Apple were to stop considering the future and how to take advantage of the ever changing playing field then it is fully conceivable that Apple could fall in a very Sony-esque way, however, this scenario is completely unreasonable.

My guess is that when the next recession starts, Apple will introduce a product that will actually be as revolutionary as the original iPhone was. The fact that you needed an iPhone regardless of how much money you had was what propelled Apple to the space they're in today. The only way to maintain that space is release products every so often that legitimately position one in that space. And I agree, their new watch is not going to do it, but they don't need all that revolutionary a product at the moment because people are admittedly going to buy whatever they sell be it iUnicorns or iPoop. However, if people were to stop seeing Apple like this though, I have no doubt that they would be able to pull people back into it with a legitimately revolutionary product. Really I just really believe in Apple's ability to intimately understand the consumer and predict the future – two things which they've been pretty good at for quite a while now.

9. tswalk

tswalk

ugh, the drivel... it bores me.

10. Voronoi

Voronoi

Well, since I predicted the iPad would be a flop! My reasoning was, I thought it fell between a smartphone and a laptop. Who would want one? It's not as capable as a laptop, it's like a large iPhone without a phone, pointless.

Turns out, it actually replaced a laptop for many people. My point is, Apple frequently gets it 'right', where other companies get it wrong. If you don't believe that, I've got a 99 cent phone I'll sell you, that only cost $250 to make!

princeWIGUAN likes this.
  11. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Technologies

I would be interested with what sort of inputs it allows. Obviously, there is the side-dial that could be used, but what about touch inputs? Does it allow for multi-touch? And does the watch have an accelerometer in it?

I guess it would be fun for a gamejam/hack-day project to work with it and see what sort of mini-game could be made. :) Ill steal Aurore's watch.

12. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

I don't think you can do much on Apple Watch. That dial ("crown") thing is not really useful as input device and you can't really use it like a joystick. The touch screen though - can not only recognizes a standard press or swipe, but also "force touch", since the screen can recognize how much force (pressure) you're putting behind an interaction with the watch. That should be quite interesting considering the video below :

I expect a lot of games which requires you to "hammer" your watch with your finger!

13. Harissa

Harissa

Does anyone know if the Watch has a motion sensor? If so could you use it as a Wii style controller for games?

For me personally I don't really see what problem the Apple Watch is trying to solve. I can see that if you're into the health monitor it might.

Weirdly though, this is the first Apple product that I've seen that I don't think is too over priced. My normal "dumb" watch cost me around $200. (It's a nice design :) ). So to pay 50% more for one that does more things doesn't seem too bad. Having said that the battery on my watch lasts several years and I'm expecting to wear it for at least 10 years which I doubt will apply to the Apple one.

14. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

How 'bout regulating your blood pressure and using the heart rate monitor as an input device? That's only a half-joke... I remember reading about some installation art that somehow detected mood and only revealed itself to people it thought were relaxed and contemplative or something like that. Building on that concept you could make apps that track and promote relaxation in a pretty similar way to how you can make apps that track and promote exercise.

Why do you not see the dial as being useful?

15. Ostwind

Ostwind

It has accelerometer and gyroscope so technically yes.

16. ippdev

ippdev

It has an arm wrestling sensor..or more aptly..one of the apps it will run is for arm wrestling. There has gotta be some kind of gameplay that can be implemented if you can guage arm wrestling.

17. StarManta

StarManta

It'll only work as an arm wrestling sensor if you wrestle with your off hand or move the watch to your other wrest.... and then you smash your display when you lose.

18. RockoDyne

RockoDyne

Some people use knives, but hipsters use smartwatches.

StarManta likes this.
  19. ippdev

ippdev

That is one way:) Another is to get the pitch, yaw and roll and when you are near perpendicular to gravity then it could be assumed you have the other guy's wrist pinned with yours nearly parallel to the contest surface.

20. StarManta

StarManta

That's exactly the way I'm proposing. People generally wear watches on the opposite hand they would arm wrestle with.

21. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Sure... his point is about what happens when it goes the other way.

22. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

That reminds me of what people have been saying for years about paying more money for less power regarding mac vs windows. If you still have doubts, you will be sad and surprised by your fellow man every day.

I swear I only buy apple computers because they have great customer service. This is my second or third free laptop from them and the fan started messing up recently. In a few months when the mbpr gets a little more updated, I'll go after my 3rd or 4th free laptop. No clue why this generation of macs is so buggy but I've probably cost apple $8000 so far.

23. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I've bought one Mac ever, purely for access to iOS dev tools. It's a laptop which has lasted 4 years so far and is still going, where both of my laptops prior to that stopped being overly useful about 2 years into their lives.

During that time I've also come to enjoy working with OS X. Also, I've always liked their design and build quality (though I'd love a few extra keys on the keyboard!). So from a purely pragmatic point of view I've got my money's worth out of it, and I enjoyed it a bit more than my prior laptops along the way. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to anyone on a budget or with lesser requirements than I have, but for me it has worked well and continues to do so.

24. fmarkus

fmarkus

“The Apple Watch is as much a Watch as the iPhone is a Phone.”
    http://t.co/fLWxA7oVUV
    Now let this sink in and let's make sure Unity works on this...

25. sschaem

sschaem

A lot of the comments here remind me of the tech community laughing at Apple ipad announcement way back when.
    And we know how this turned out in the end...

The watch might not be interesting for game developer, but that doesn't tell us its going to be a flop.

Apple identified and is focusing already on a few markets. Sport, health, luxury (bling blings), ...
    It seem likely that with just those 3, Apple can make this device a runaway success.

And even then, I wouldn't surprised if we see apps like "Tap Tap Bongo Drum" or "Bongo Drum Hero" on the watch store.

26. Banksy

Banksy

The AppleWatch will be massive... it's a welcome format for gaming too. Any medium that projects a smart phones features is a step forward. Think about it.. spatial awareness should not be locked down to a phone's display.

I do hope there are a few designers / develops here with a little creativity still left in them.... I've read so many crap replies here, blasting the AppleWatch.. Get real people & try to think outside the BOX ... Literally
    You might start to see the massive implications this little device will have on smart-phone gaming other that just wrist wrestling. I have already drummed up some brilliant ways to incorporate it into my Apps & really do hope that Unity Pro support it asap.

Anyone ever read the comic book .. Rogue Trooper ?? A Battle worn soldier who's equipment Helmet, Rifle, etc.. all communicated with him. Rifle would call " More Ammo !! " etc.. think about it...............

"Geo Fencing " incorporate this into your games... A.W will feature geo fencing.. walk past a store or event & receive an alert... how about FaceBook games.. its all about social media & A.W will make full use of it.. you should too :)

Here's one thought on AppleWatch.
    A Virtual Reality Scenario:
    Samsung just released "Oculus Gear " imagine when iPhone6 can be used in the same way. Slide the phone in your Apple V.R HMD (head mounted device) & use the AppleWatch as the controller.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
    flaminghairball likes this.
  27. petey

petey

Has anyone had a look at the SDK?

28. Ostwind

Ostwind

Yes. Watch apps are just an extension 'app' that is bundled in normal iOS app. Not sure what kind of gaming related stuff you are allowed to do in the end since the documents give the impression that resource hungry stuff are not liked.

29. petey

petey

Ahh right,
    So I guess you'd have to make your app to be super lean because it would always be running in the background?Which might be pretty tricky with unity in general since it's pretty graphics intensive...

30. StarManta

StarManta

I suspect that until 2016 (if not later) we will have very limited access to do the sort of gaming on the watch we would like to be able to do. The initial release is going to have to make tradeoffs for battery life, and that'll be one of them.

31. Veemix

Veemix

Unfortunately the current Apple Watch SDK does not allow access to the sensors on the device.

32. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

This is the heart of the matter. Forget playing games on the device. That's a gimmick. But imagine developing a game where you have access to the participants heart rate and blood pressure. Think of how you could tune the play to match the excitement level of your player. No more guessing how to balance excitement, you can read the data from your player directly.

I can see this playing out really well for horror games. I'd imagine most games could be enhanced by it. I can also see some scary possibilities with monetisation. It wouldn't be hard to target advertisements or micro transactions to players based on when they are more susceptible to them.

I don't know if the device will go off. But there are some interesting possibilities ahead if it does.

33. ippdev

ippdev

34. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

The iWatch might take off. The gold iWatch? Don't see it happening. The article looks suspiciously like they took the amount of gold in the super luxury model, and applied that across every iWatch apple plans to sell.

35. arkon

arkon

Dude, all the features in a iPad existed in a laptop or desktop, yet the iPad was an astonishing success. I too am skeptical of the use and do I need an apple watch. Yet I have to remind myself of the phrase I often tell people who think they don't need an iPad, it's the device you didn't need until you get one, and then you can't live without it. I love my iPad, like I've never liked any other technology. There's a better than good chance this watch will be the same.

angrypenguin and Kiwasi like this.
  36. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

The thing is that even though iPads technically can't do anything a computer can't, they can do it in places a computer can't, at times a computer can't, and with people who couldn't or wouldn't otherwise do it.

If you look at an iPad and think "weak computer with limited IO" then clearly you're not seeing what makes it useful to most people. By the same deal if we look at an iWatch and think "even weaker computer with even more limited IO" we're going to run into the same issue.

When I see an iPad now, what i think is "an internet communication device my grandmother could use", or "a thing my girlfriend can use to look up recipes or do conversions in the kitchen while she's cooking", or "a thing that lets me read web pages the same way I read books". Even when we're using it for more conventional apps, the fact that the form-factor forces people to re-think interfaces generally leads to more intuitive, better designed software that's developed based on how we use it rather than what functions it has.

Right now, I have no idea what to think when I see an iWatch. But I wonder what I'll think when I look at one in two years. And I'm open minded enough to hope that it won't just be "expensive blingy timekeeper".

ippdev and Kiwasi like this.
  37. calmcarrots

calmcarrots

No you are missing the point. The iPad, or actually tablets in general, are a success because it is like a mobile computer. They are small, lightweight, dont have physical keyboards, can be used like a phone (calling, texting, etc), and basically does what a computer does, but in a simplified, portable, and cheap way. I am a big fan of tablets because I dont have to carry a laptop, but I can still do the things I need to. The smart watches however are super useless. Some people would say that these watches are an easy way to look at notifications, set timers, or check the time. But honestly, when has it been hard to do any of that when you have a phone? Is it really that inconvient to pull out your phone to do any of that? It's not like you could do anything useful on those watches. All of your actions would have to be forwarded to the phone anyways.

EDIT: To me, this smart watch thing is like buying a phone to do stuff on your other phone. Basically all it is.

38. DanielQuick

DanielQuick

I was very skeptic when the Android Wear devices were released, but I ended up purchasing the Moto 360 to try it out.

When I first purchased it, I was hopeful for game possibilities but the battery life just isn't there yet for anything but the simplest ideas. Do I think it was a waste of money? Not at all, the benefits of telling time/weather/notifications/set timer/alarms (pretty much how @calmcarrots describes it) are quite large in my opinion. I now save quite a bit of time each day not having to pull my phone out when something unimportant chimes up (can just swipe it away) and am much better at responding quickly to important emails.

While I don't think smart watches will become nearly as popular as the smartphone, I do think it will get some pretty serious exposure.

Why have a standard watch if you can pull out your phone to tell the time? Efficiency.

39. ippdev

ippdev

My pals are always leaving/losing their phones somewhere they have to dig around for..back of couch, in between car seats..in their other jacket... Just having a wrist strapped homing device would be handy. Just ping to ring and you have found it..

Kiwasi likes this.
  40. tiggus

tiggus

I think I found something better than Apple Watch.

Ostwind and schmosef like this.
  41. Ogien

Ogien

Any update on this, is there a Beta group I can get into?

42. Ostwind

Ostwind

What do you mean? the SDK has been public at the Apple developer pages for months and the watch thing in general has not much or anything to do with Unity at the moment or maybe ever with the limitations.

43. Ogien

Ogien

I know the SDK has been public but I want a Unity export? Is this not possible for some reason?

44. DanielQuick

DanielQuick

Unity will not export to the Apple Watch anytime in the foreseeable future. It is not a gaming device.

45. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

That's bullshit.

46. Ogien

Ogien

I will be shocked if someone is not already working on Flappy Bird clone. What evidence do you have for this statement?

47. DanielQuick

DanielQuick

No evidence, just personal opinion. If Unity ran on the watch the battery would be gone in a matter of hours, which isn't something you want with a watch.

48. Ogien

Ogien

Well that's true for most low cost Android devices :) Anyways we are missing a market. I may have to go native until we get an official answer.

49. orb

orb

You don't run apps on the watch. WatchKit is iOS apps that run on a phone, with a user interface which is installed on the watch.

50. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I'd assume that Unity will run on the watch like all the other apps run. A gimmicky app would sell like hotcakes on this thing, It would be a huge mistake if Unity doesn't support it ASAP.

unityunity