Search Unity

Feature Request Apple Silicon support (edit: starting with 5.22.0 and 16.0.1)

Discussion in 'Vivox (Voice & Text Chat)' started by dri_richard, Jan 5, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dri_richard

dri_richard

Hi, I know that Vivox doesn't support Apple Silicon. Is it in progress - is there a timeline?
    thanks

2. adamcheong

adamcheong

I want to use Vivox and build for Apple Silicon too!

Kamkam and Oyshoboy like this.
  3. emilyryan

emilyryan

Unity Technologies

Apple Silicon is supported starting with the 5.22.0 and 16.0.1 releases of the Vivox SDK. We recommend updating to those or a newer version of the SDK if Apple Silicon support is required.

If you are unable to update, we have the following suggested workaround to develop Vivox on an Apple Silicon computer on an earlier version of Vivox.

-- original message below --

Unfortunately, there are currently no plans to support Apple Silicon in the near future. However, I will take note of both of your comments to try and help gauge community interest for this platform. Our production team has stated we may revisit this feature in the future, if there is a large enough demand from the community.

For any other developers who would like to see an Apple Silicon compatible Vivox SDK, please feel free to also comment on this thread, so we take your interest into account as well!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2024
  4. Looping_co

Looping_co

On the developer side, there will be no Mac Intel users in a near feature. So not allowing us to use Vivox on a Mac Silicon for dev is saying goodbye to Mac users. You should really consider it.
    Thx.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2022
  5. SLGSimon

SLGSimon

This is required for continued Mac support, we already have many players on Apple Silicon.

Kamkam, Oyshoboy and Looping_co like this.
  6. SniperED007

SniperED007

Wait, are you saying that Vivox voice doesn't work on Apple Silicon devices?!!

7. Claytonious

Claytonious

Mac Silicon is the best desktop platform from Apple for gaming ever and it is replacing their Intel products. Why would you support Mac Intel and not Silicon when Intel's life is over at Apple? Does that actually mean you are slowly dropping support for Apple desktop?

8. Oyshoboy

Oyshoboy

Agreed with guys, our game as well has a lot of apple silicone players , and they are struggling without vivox voice chat. We need it so bad.

Kamkam likes this.
  9. amit3xpo

amit3xpo

We are also in need of mac m1 support! Hope you guys have this in consideration.

10. Kamkam

Kamkam

Definitely agree. Having to rely on Rosetta, or to say goodbye to mac players is not an ideal solution.
    I'm tired of this "Apple users are only <insert here a number between 1 and 7>% of all players, who cares about them ?".
    It's just a self-fulfilling prophecy, and you're are just giving us a reason to use either another voice chat solution, or another game engine.

11. jasonyapri

jasonyapri

Is this the reason why I get DllNotFoundException: libVivoxNative assembly error when using Vivox SDK on my MacBook with Apple Silicon? DllNotFoundException.JPG

12. SniperED007

SniperED007

Is this still the case?

13. gaiomed

gaiomed

Hi, we run into the same issue, would you please consider supporting this?

14. blueteak

blueteak

This seems like a pretty necessary thing to support for continued use of Vivox for cross-platform voice chat...

15. Protagonist

Protagonist

Adding to the list... We need Apple silicon support too.

16. nanaparam

nanaparam

there are good number of devs working from home on macs, +1 for Apple Silicon support

17. nanaparam

nanaparam

have to download rosseta(intel) version of the editor to test it(in editor) otherwise it throws error for dll missing and stuff

18. Oberheim

Oberheim

wow i cant believe this. Please explain why ???
    How many users need to complain ?

19. Claytonious

Claytonious

Just use photon voice, honestly.

dri_richard and SniperED007 like this.
  20. unity_EEE3E3568C32A7D5C68D

unity_EEE3E3568C32A7D5C68D

Please!!! My Team needs Vivox M1 :)

21. hjy2306

hjy2306

It's unbelievable that you still haven't even planned

22. hmk2000015

hmk2000015

I purchased M1 Ultra for appstore release. But Rosetta... It is so sad.

23. Oyshoboy

Oyshoboy

we need this feature

24. Occuros

Occuros

Apple ARM support (M1, M2, MX...) is needed, It is very concerning that we need to request support for this feature.

The whole mac ecosystem will transition to the MX platform within a year and rosetta will be deprecated, so unless unity is abandoning the mac platform overall, it's a necessity.

Oyshoboy likes this.
  25. LFG-Sky

LFG-Sky

Seriously? Come on Unity, you need to think farther into the future. This thread was created in Jan 2022 and still no support as of April 2023... what the... who's running that place.

26. blueteak

blueteak

This is pretty absurd still - I wonder if they'll skip Vision Pro support too...

27. removloet

removloet

I have no clue why this isn't supported, you're literally just writing off all apple players by not supporting this. In 1-2 years from now almost every mac user will be a silicon mac user. Already right now more then 60% of our Mac users are on silicon chips.

28. removloet

removloet

Fix this asap, what a absurd answer that you're not planning to support the tech which all apple users will be using in 1-2 years from now and literally already 60% of our mac user base is on silicon chips....

29. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Isn’t Vivox the service that was urging developers to drop Linux support because they couldn’t bother to support it?

And you’re hoping they will support silicon when they have clearly said they have no plans for it?

30. blueteak

blueteak

Just surprised that Unity purchased Vivox and isn't simply dictating to them that they support Apple Silicon.

It seems crazy now that Apple is getting so cozy with Unity due to the Epic disputes that they would let any of their services simply not support the platforms...

31. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Don't believe marketing.

Unity is half assing Apple Silicon support in many aspects, a service not supporting it at all is pretty on brand.

32. Oyshoboy

Oyshoboy

still waiting for it

33. ruiswang

ruiswang

Please make it happen...As it really affect m1 user's workflow and have to find other alternatives

34. Claytonious

Claytonious

Photon Voice supports Silicon, is low cost, easy to setup and works great.

35. NickFromVivox

NickFromVivox

Unity Technologies

Hi, I'm Nick one of the Vivox product managers.

Apple Silicon support will be coming in our next release which is due out in December. We're also working on visionOS to support the Vision Pro this week and are aiming to have that ready for the December release as well.

36. Wriggler

Wriggler

Nice one Nick, that's great news!

Ben

NickFromVivox likes this.
  37. antoniorobertoarcaju

antoniorobertoarcaju

Nice to hear it Nick.
    I got a DllNotFoundException error trying to use Vivox on my M2 macbook, and I ended up on this thread.
    I'll be waiting upcoming news.

38. Claytonious

Claytonious

This forum thread started in January of 2022. It took this long to simply get a reply that silicon support was finally coming at all. You would have to expect that it doesn’t actually work. There is clearly some high level thinking amongst Vivox that silicon isn’t worth bothering with. (In spite of being part of a cross platform game engine. Go figure.)

dri_richard likes this.
  39. NickFromVivox

NickFromVivox

Unity Technologies

Hello everyone, if you're following this thread and missed it in the release notes last week Apple Silicon support is now available. Along with that we also added experimental support for visionOS and iOS simulator.

40. Yum-Cha-Games

Yum-Cha-Games

EDIT: I managed to install v16! See below for details.

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but I'm still unable to get this working on Apple Silicon.

I'm using Unity 2022.3.12 on MacBook Pro M2. My Package Manager says the latest available Vivox is 15.1.210100-pre.1, which was released on Sep 18th 2023. I was expecting the latest version to be released sometime in Dec 2023.

From what I can find out in the documentation, it looks like I should be using v16, but I'm unable to find that anywhere?

Any help here greatly appreciated. I've never had this much trouble updating packages... I feel like I'm missing something obvious...

Cheers,
    - Justin

EDIT: For anyone else having trouble, try first removing pre v16 Vivox package, and then adding it by name using "com.unity.services.vivox". This will install v16 now.

If you're like me, you'll probably also need to delete the previous Assets/Samples/Vivox folder and update all your code according to https://docs.unity.com/ugs/en-us/manual/vivox-unity/manual/Unity/v16-upgrade-guide

Last edited: Jan 15, 2024
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.