Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Apple silicon support through the Unity Hub

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Gennady, Jan 10, 2022.

1. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

They didn't choose electron because it is light on resources.

They chose it so they can have a consistent experience on many platforms.

That experience may be horrible, but it's consistent.

I guess that if they actually made it silicon native and you were running the hub on a top of the line hyper expensive Mac studio, the spinning Unity logo at the start might not stay enough time on your screen for you to start regretting the life choices that brought you to this moment, therefore Unity hub would not work for its intended purpose.

Finally, Unreal's launcher is also super terrible (also made electron), so I'm guessing this is the one area where Unity actually chose to out-do them.

Muckel likes this.
  2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi all,

I am facing so many problems with unity hub + unity for apple silicon that I don't even know where to start.
    I followed the official pipeline to install all the requirements and still can't end with a working environment, I also tried to follow some instructions found in the official forums but still can't fix all the issues that I have encountered.

Currently I am working on a MacBook Pro M1 with Sonoma OS (14.1.1 (23B81)).

I installed the 3.6.1 version of unity hub and when I try to install the silicon editor from the hub it ALWAYS stops with the error: installation failed:installation failed.

I noticed that If I reinstall the hub, restart the Mac and install the editor usually manages to install it, but if I start a project, then close unity and unity hub, reopen the hub and go to the editors I see that the editor changes from silicon to intel, even if the editor is silicon (see photos).

If I try to start a project from the hub it gives me the error that you can see in the screenshots (the OK window).

If I open unity usually it opens also unity hub and stops here, but if I somehow manage to open the editor without the hub it gives me a Burst compilation error.

If I install the editor via web and not via hub even if I can locate the editor from the hub it wont import the editor.

I literally don't know what to do, also because two my colleagues with similar specs (one with the same exact machine that I have and another with MacBook Air with M1) encountered literally zero problems with the installation and everything works fine. Screenshot 2023-11-25 alle 14.07.08.png Screenshot 2023-11-25 alle 14.07.15.png Screenshot 2023-11-25 alle 14.07.24.png Screenshot 2023-11-25 alle 14.07.51.png

Attached Files:

3. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

ChiefSDA likes this.
  4. ChiefSDA

ChiefSDA

Thanks, I tried with old versions of hub and still nothing changed.
    I will try the unity hub native.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.