Search Unity

Official Apple silicon support through the Unity Hub

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Gennady, Jan 10, 2022.

1. Gennady

Gennady

Unity Technologies

Apple silicon support is officially available through the Unity Hub

We have brought macOS development workflows natively to M1 with Editor support for Apple silicon. You can now access the Apple silicon builds directly from the Unity Hub (starting with version 3.0).

Value to users

Our mission is to get users to productivity seamlessly and efficiently. With official Editor support for Apple silicon, creators working on the latest Mac devices with M1 chips can now take advantage of an Editor specifically designed for their machine, ensuring that Unity projects would be future-proofed for this exciting new version of macOS.

How to get started

Support for Apple silicon on recent versions of the Editor is now available directly in the Unity Hub.

• If you’re currently running the Hub on an M1 machine, simply navigate to the Installs tab > Install Editor. You’ll see both architectures (see screenshot below).

• The default install location is /Applications/Unity.

Known limitations

Our support is currently limited to running either Apple Intel or silicon versions of the Editor (starting with 2021.2) in a single instance. Users with an M1 machine have the option to run either the Intel or silicon version, however, not both concurrently.

The ability to use Intel and silicon interchangeably in an Apple Silicon computer is referred to as side by side (SxS) support. We are actively working on enabling SxS support and plan to include this in a future release.

Workarounds

• As of today, the silicon version does not support all the plugins supported by the Intel version. Because of this, we recommend you download both the Intel and silicon Editors. Note: only 1 version can be run at a given time.

• You can add the Apple silicon Editor to the Hub by clicking the Installs tab > Locate button. The default location is /Applications/Unity.

What’s next

Stay tuned for continued updates and new feature support for silicon. For more information on this release, take a look at our documentation.

2. Wolfos

Wolfos

Can you make it possible to install specific versions? Going through the download archive still installs the x86 version.

3. craigfahner

craigfahner

I am also having this issue. Project I'm collaborating on with a large team uses 2021.2.4f1, but Silicon version is no longer available through Unity Hub. Downloading through the browser, the installer does not open – instead produces an error message that the installer could not be verified.

4. Wolfos

Wolfos

If you right click to open the installer it’ll allow you to bypass that message. It’s not codesigned.

ericbintner and unity-freestyle like this.
  5. Ritzilla

Ritzilla

Macbook air without Rosetta, installed 2021.2, manually activated license, created empty project and it doesnt just freezes without opening and when i quit it gives this error:

Attached Files:

stuepfnick likes this.
  6. nicmarxp

nicmarxp

What about 2022, does it/will it have silicon support? I couldn’t find that on the download page, but maybe I’m looking at it wrong.

7. Wolfos

Wolfos

It's available from the download archive, so yeah. Probably installs it automatically when you use the hub though.

8. nicmarxp

nicmarxp

Aha, thanks! :) Still waiting for my machine, but will check it, but potentially not use it as there seems to be a bit of random problems with 2022 in general :p

9. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi,
    We ran some Mac Studio benchmarks recently and found 2020 LTS + Apple Silicon is currently a severe step back. Can we expect some performance improvements during the rest of the LTS cycle?

10. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

2021.2 is the first version of Unity that supports Apple silicon natively. It isn't practical to simply "backport" the changes to 2020.3 as it was a significant amount of work and coordination to get Unity and all dependencies building, running and tested on a new architecture.

The reason Rosetta doesn't fully work its magic for Unity is that much of Unity is JITed code. This prevents Rosetta from effectively caching it as it does with other native binaries. With 2021.2+ builds for Apple silicon, we still JIT, but don't have to also go through the Rosetta JIT and caching process.

11. Kronnect

Kronnect

Understood, thanks for confirming it.

Ok, somehow I notice it doesn't go "as fast" as I expected. Are you guys aware of an issue installing Android NDK with latest on Mac Studio? Case 1432686.

12. ericbintner

ericbintner

I'm unable to get any version to work on an M1 Ultra on a Mac Studio. They all install but none will open.

13. Kronnect

Kronnect

2020.3 and up should open fine, however only 2021 runs decently on Apple Silicon with still some crashes from time to time (ie. edit a shader and switch quickly to Editor causes a hang during import).

Also I’m finding frequent issues with dual monitor setup (which might not be related to Unity at all).

14. csemorf

csemorf

why is it still showing rosetta

Attached Files:

15. Phil_Z

Phil_Z

Unity Technologies

The reason it is still showing Rosetta is because the Intel version of the Editor was installed by mistake. There is currently an issue that the Hub doesn't see that you are on an Apple silicon device. Please download the version from this page here: https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive and you can associate the install in the Hub manually.

unitydevelopers-greg likes this.
  16. Kronnect

Kronnect

Out of curiosity: are all Apple Silicon optimizations already done or is something still under development? Third party libraries perhaps?

17. Phil_Z

Phil_Z

Unity Technologies

Yes! The 2021 LTS version of the Editor and above fully supports Apple silicon (M1 and M2) as well as our first party plugins. Some older third party plugins may not work if they contain code compiled for Intel only.

Kronnect likes this.
  18. NGC6720

NGC6720

Works extremely well on M1. (2021.3.8f1)

19. Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous

Where is Unity Hub for M1 & M2?

josevalencia_unity likes this.
  20. _sh4na_

_sh4na_

Clicking on the "Unity Hub" link in the Archive downloads page makes the Hub download an Intel version of the editor instead of the Silicon version, when running on an M1. Is this a known issue and is there an expected timeline for fixing it?
    As you know, projects are always slightly behind the very latest LTS, and onboarding users to projects on older versions of Unity is a super common every day thing. Having to explain extra manual steps in order for them to install the correct version of Unity for their hardware pretty much negates any value that the Hub provides here.

21. distastee

distastee

10000% yes. It's taken me 4 days to get a remote artist on the correct version of Unity because of this.

bdearaujo likes this.
  22. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Why is unity Hub so slow to startup on Mac silicon?

23. Phil_Z

Phil_Z

Unity Technologies

We are aware of this issue and will have a better flow in an upcoming version of the Hub. It's taking longer than expected, especially when installing Apple silicon and Intel Editors side-by-side. Thank you for your patience.

24. _sh4na_

_sh4na_

Until there's a fix for this, here's a set of steps for setting up a Unity Silicon version in the Hub.

Reminder: You only need to do this if you need to install a Unity silicon version other than the latest 2021 or 2022
    Note: This is an example using 2021.3.3. Replace the commands below with the version you're installing.
    Disclaimer: This involves command line stuff. If you're not confortable with it, don't do this.
    1. Download the standalone Unity Silicon installer for the version you want from https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive. It's in the "Downloads (Mac)" dropdown -> "Unity Editor (Apple Silicon)"
    2. Run the standalone installer. This will install Unity with no platforms into /Applications/Unity/Unity.app
    3. In the Hub, install the same version. DO NOT select any platforms or documentation or tools, make sure all checkboxes are unchecked.
    Once both versions are installed, run the following commands, replacing the Unity version with the one you've installed:
    1. Quit the Unity Hub app (cmd+q)
    2. Open the terminal.

3. cd /Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor
    4. sudo mv 2021.3.3f1 2021.3.3intel
    5. sudo mkdir 2021.3.3f1
    6. sudo mv ../../Unity.app 2021.3.3f1/
    7. sudo mv "../../Unity Bug Reporter.app" 2021.3.3f1/
    8. sudo cp -a 2021.3.3intel/modules.json 2021.3.3f1/
    9. sudo chmod ug+w 2021.3.3f1
    Run the Unity Hub, the version of Unity should now report Silicon, you should be all set.

25. JeffTheCampbell

JeffTheCampbell

This is painful for us at the moment; we just updated to what we thought was the latest 2021 LTS, only for a new patch version to be released a few days later and only half the team had installed the penultimate Silicon version. We feel like we're now forced to install the latest patch version yet again so that we can get the entire team on the latest Silicon version again (half the team installing yet another editor) rather than the one we worked updating towards.

Karsten and Muckel like this.
  26. Elliott-Mitchell

Elliott-Mitchell

Thanks so much _sh4na_!
    This is such a nightmare situation for teams with projects across a mix of computer types and Unity versions. I can't even believe this issue has not been officially remedied in Unity Hub!!

Muckel likes this.
  27. Elliott-Mitchell

Elliott-Mitchell

For reasons relating to 3rd party DLLs, I require being able to open both an Intel and Silicon version of Unity Editor on the same computer. In this instance, I require Unity 2021.3.9f for Intel and Silicon. Unity Hub is not a fan of this. It there any possibility that Unity Hub could list the two versions of the editor side by side without requiring the user uninstalling either of the editor versions?

28. spryx

spryx

Not sure if this is the right place to post or ask.. but, 2022.1.18.f1 is an absolute crash fest on my m1 max MBP. I get crashes even dragging source files into folders. Anyone else having issues?

Edit: I somehow installed the Intel editor instead of Apple Silicon... completely my fault.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
  29. _sh4na_

_sh4na_

A bit late on this, but, yeah, this is another issue. If you don't mind the terminal some more, grab my Unity launcher script over at https://github.com/shana/open-unity, put open-unity.sh somewhere in your path (I usually symlink it to /usr/local/bin/unity, to make it easier to type), and then you can launch your project from the terminal with the version you want with
    unity -v 2021.3.3intel [path to root of project, if it's not the current dir]

Muckel likes this.
  30. Fillmore

Fillmore

It's also quite a pain to download both the Intel AND silicon versions. Once you pick one, the Unity Hub will not let you install the other one.

I have no interest in having them both open at the same time, but both installed via the hub would be nice.

amokto likes this.
  31. amokto

amokto

I noticed this today, when I needed to install Intel version to verify if a bug I had when building was related to Silicon. I was surprised then that it was not possible to install intel version after I had installed silicon version. This needs to be fixed asap together with the possibility to run different versions.

32. Idmah

Idmah

Seem to notice TMP object, might be the culprit in my case. When I add one and click around it crashes.
    Using Unity 21.3.11f. getting annoying having to Force quit all the time.
    I want my M1 Silicon and I want it to work!

33. ryanmillerca

ryanmillerca

We really need a fix that allows us to install Apple Silicon Editors using the Download Archive without some hack workaround. Fix the installers ASAP please. This has been an issue for a long time.

o3h_charlie and Karsten like this.
  34. Karsten

Karsten

For those that struggle with the terminal approach (didnt work for me for whatever reason)
    you can do this with Finder.

Install the Intel version that you want to be silicon later from the website archive using the green Unity Hub button.
    Install the silicon version from that same version on the website archive selecting the standalone download for silicon
    after you installed that go to the FInder and just replace the Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/<theversionyouinstalled>/Unity.app with the file Applications/Unity/Unity.app

35. F4t1h

F4t1h

Hello everyone,

I think about buying a macbook pro m1 but am not sure if it will disrupt my project.
    Can i use apple silicon and normal version with plastic scm?
    Have currently a main windows desktop and wanted to add a decent mobile device to my environment.
    Would appreciate your thoughts about using both.

36. kyubuns

kyubuns

@Phil_Z
    Do you have any updates?
    This issue has increased the difficulty of getting (non-programmer) Unity users to install a specific Unity version.

Unifikation likes this.
  37. Elliott-Mitchell

Elliott-Mitchell

^ This is painful for folks like us, who are simultaneously working on 4+ projects, all of which require multiple versions of the editor per release.

38. chiu_1985

chiu_1985

hi Phil, has any update on this issue?

39. Phil_Z

Phil_Z

Unity Technologies

Hi! I am pleased to report that Unity Hub version 3.4.0 and above have support for side-by-side installs of the Intel and Apple silicon macOS Editors. It should be available now. https://unity.com/unity-hub/release-notes#340

hanterx01 and kyubuns like this.
  40. Lab618

Lab618

I've read that the main Unity editor is now AS native, but Unity Hub still asks me to install Rosetta. Is there going to be an AS native version of Hub? If so, is there a timeline for when it will be available? Thanks.

MousePods likes this.
  41. Phil_Z

Phil_Z

Unity Technologies

I don't know the timeline for when the hub will be fully Apple silicon Native, but the Unity Editor currently requires Rosetta to be installed to run some external processes, so there will be issues if you do not have Rosetta at this time.

42. Lab618

Lab618

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and install Rosetta.

43. I5

I5

44. nabil_alsabah

nabil_alsabah

Guys,

Seriously, how difficult could it be to compile an Apple Silicon build for the Unity Hub?! It takes forever for this app to launch... Please make an AS version of the Unity Hub. PLEASE!

rebl_, Allebi and hakaya like this.
  45. Allebi

Allebi

Really weird indeed!
    Therefore I'm forced to manually terminate UnityHub each time to reduce the Intel->Rosetta2 overhead in my system.

46. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

https://www.ravbug.com/unityhubnative/

You can use this native Hub, its faster and silicon too.

hakaya likes this.
  47. Un1ty01

Un1ty01

Is it possible to install Unity Editor for Apple Silicon via Unity Hub CLI?

48. dzmitryzplaytika

dzmitryzplaytika

Hi all!
    I'm install Unity with Unity HUB on Apple Mac with processor Apple Silicon M2 Pro using anisble

my intructions:

/Applications/Unity\ Hub.app/Contents/MacOS/Unity\ Hub -- --headless install --version {{ unity_version }} --changeset {{ changeset.stdout }} --architecture arm64 -m {{ unity_modules | replace(',',' -m ') }} --cm

but ... when I check the architecture of the installed Unity, I get very upset
    i'm run:

/Applications/Unity\ Hub.app/Contents/MacOS/Unity\ Hub -- --headless editors --installed

=>
    ""stdout_lines": ["2021.3.24f1 (Intel), installed at /Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2021.3.24f1/Unity.app"]}"

Why is the architecture argument not setting the correct version ?

As for the technical details:

1. I use the latest Apple mac-mini with Apple Silicon M2 pro
    2. I install Unity Hub with homebrew cask and get latest 3.5.0 version.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2023
  49. dzmitryzplaytika

dzmitryzplaytika

50. rebl_

rebl_

1.5 years later and latest UnityHub 3.50 still does only run with Rosetta. Will there EVER be native Silicon app?

I wanted to refuse any software that is not running native on my new Mac. Unity is the only reason I install Rosetta and I was actually thinking to switch over to Unreal.

Apart from that the UnityHub is awfully slow and takes up way too much resources. UnityHubNative is nice but it also relies on UnityHub, for example I can't download an Unity Editor without starting the awful UnityHub.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2023
    MackNugget, Allebi and hakaya like this.