Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Apple says Mac app makers must transition to ARC memory management by May 2015

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by protopop, Feb 21, 2015.

1. protopop

protopop

2. invicticide

invicticide

3. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

As usual the platform rules are changing. As usual Unity Technologies is aware of these changes, and is working on a fix as we speak.

The change will be incorporated to the engine as fast as is is humanely possible. Most of us on the developer end will barely notice the bump.

Moving along, nothing to gain by starting a new thread every time a platform changes. This is business as usual for Unity.

Nanako likes this.
  4. Ferazel

Ferazel

I really doubt that the standalone OS X used Cocoa's GC. First, GC was an "experimental" feature that was recommended for all of maybe a year before 10.6 to recommend using ARC. Second, it doesn't appear that they are removing manual reference counting with release/retain only if the app used the GC.

Even if they did use it, the amount of wrapper code for the Standalone OS X deployment should be very minimal. So unless there is a lot of wrapper code that I'm not aware of, or if the Mono runtime is for some reason using the Cooca GC (something even more crazy since it has its own internal GC). I think we're going to be OK. Plus with the Unity 5 player dropping 10.6 player support, they seem to be actively developing the standalone version so I don't think this change is going to be a problem.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  5. r618

r618

it didn't use it, the whole engine is c++ code base, with some objc/++ on os x for platform specifics
    the above is imho, maybe some intern would clarify %]

6. mmorpg-fps-rts-zombie

mmorpg-fps-rts-zombie

Sure, but do you actually work at Unity?

7. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

We have never used the automatic objective-C GC in Unity so there is no problem.

We also have a great relationship with Apple now where we meet weekly to adress any upcoming issues and make sure everything is well aligned.

Clearly Apple is incredibly important for Unity, so there are fulltime people dedicated to these relationships.

8. jshrek

jshrek

It's good to know Unity has a weekly meeting with Apple ... that makes me feel a lot better about the platform. :)

9. thxfoo

thxfoo

You talk to them each week? Please tell them to fix their OpenGL on desktop. It is a real joke.

10. protopop

protopop

Cool!

I agree with jshrek - it's comforting to know there's more dialogue with Apple. The same way devs rely on Unity, Unity relies on other companies. Things like the 64bit requirement came relatively out of the blue. Most of todays games need the cooperation of several different companies software and services, so this dialogue is more important now than ever.

Great about the ARC too:)

11. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I think they're perfectly reasonable questions, even if the answer to most of them is indeed "business as usual".

Kiwasi likes this.