Search Unity

Question Apple keeps rejecting our AR app because of True Depth API

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by waldgeist, Jan 17, 2022.

1. waldgeist

waldgeist

We have implemented an AR app including face masks. Although we explained in detail how the reviewer can find the face mask feature, they keep rejecting the app because of a non-use of the True Depth API.

To my understanding, this API is required to use face masks / face tracking and automatically added to the app once you enable the AR Kit face tracking package. So I don't understand why they don't accept it.

Any ideas?

2. Neonlyte

Neonlyte

At this time you can appeal the decision instead.

My game was rejected for numerous times for the first version. The first reviewer thought my game was "objectionable" (they quoted rule 1.1.6 "False Information and Features") and was very unhelpful when I asked which specific part of my game was in violation of that rule. Then, for the every review after that, all the reviewers basically repeat what the first person said. The whole process stalled for a whole month, before I had enough and appealed the result. A week later, the app went back into review without my action, and was finally approved.

From my experience and from the horror stories others posted here, it would seem that more often than not reviewers are just scraping by and do not have patience. I would not hesitate to appeal if they are not being reasonable.

3. waldgeist

waldgeist

Thanks! Now, after the third attempt (including a live video of the app), they at least accepted that we are using the API. But still rejected because they wanted more information about how we store the API data. Which we don't. So I hope I'll get it through with a simple declaration that we don't use any face information.