Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Apple Game Center

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by joew, Apr 8, 2010.

1. joew

joew

Is anyone else extremely happy about this? The number of third party social gaming systems was getting ridiculous, I'm so glad there will finally be something akin to Live/PSN! Having that many choices was so discouraging to users, I know a lot of people that didn't want to join just because of the sign up, having another username/password, etc. I'm guessing that Game Center will be integrated with your iTunes account and so people won't have to worry about those things and adoption will be 100%.

2. JDonavan

JDonavan

I saw this just as I was about to start integrating OpenFeint. Now I'm going to have make a decision as to which to support and when.

I'm hoping to hear from the OpenFeint folks on their future plans.

3. Geko

Geko

It definitely seems to spell good things in terms of adoption of features due to those due to the lack of a separate log on. It also really crushes the aspiration of Open Feint and Plus+.

The downside that I see is that if you wish to use Unity's cross platform abilities then you will have to integrate multiple services to get the same result on each platform. It therefore leaves lots of room for a service which has a single integration which can link web, phone and console.

4. joew

joew

I agree with your comment of having the single login for multiple platforms, but I also don't believe users would opt into using it if there is an official system. Also since Game Center is part of the SDK you'll likely see every game using it in the future, and users probably won't react kindly to games that don't incorporate it.

So if you did want to add another service I think you would have to integrate an optional service on top of having to incorporate Game Center.

5. Geko

Geko

That makes perfect sense. The only issue will be if Apple limit interactions from other software on the game center. It would not be uncharacteristic of them to hinder cross platform functionality.

6. GhostDog

GhostDog

You really think so? My initial inclination was the opposite. Standardization and getting iPhone devs in-line using their tools where they can dictate terms. Predicting Apple is half witchcraft in any case, I have no visibility into their motivations.

7. ibyte

ibyte

Is the Game Center supposed to work in the simulator .. all it get is Loading...

iByte

8. Geko

Geko

I should have been clearer in my wording. I was more referring to services which provide cross platform functionality. It also appears that my assumption was correct since this seems to suggest they will stop it.

http://erickerr.com/iphone-agreement-thirdparty

9. Jayanta

Jayanta

How can I use Apple game center in my iOS game made in unity3D.
    Any body have any idea, please suggest me..

Thanks..

10. parsed

parsed

I smell a community project. n.n AGC/(Live or Plus on windows)/OpenID? Theoretically, you could just associate an account and let people enter their own information into the service similar to facebook, storing what they want and only using the association to avoid having to remember a new username/password. This is similar to how OpenID really works.