Search Unity

Apple Event

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by create3dgames, Sep 3, 2013.

1. create3dgames

create3dgames

Apple announced this morning that there will be an Apple event on SEPTEMBER 10.

So, there might be some new tech we mobile developers can make use of. :D

Anyway, just letting you know!

2. Jaimi

Jaimi

I'm hoping they will announce the new Macbook Pro's, and a larger Iphone to compete with the Galaxy S4 and Note 3. but my prediction: Incredibly ho-hum announcement about an iphone 5s (now 20% faster) and iphone 5c (now 20% cheaper!). Yawn.

3. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

A 17" Macbook Pro would be nice. My current one's getting a tad old. (Though it's still rockin' out.)

4. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

That's exactly what I am expecting. Apple under Tim is a slow dying company. Instead of competing to their strength as an innovative luxury brand that people want (with luxury brand spec) they actually make cheap looking expensive model of their old device (I will bet hundred dollar iPhone 5c = iPhone 5 with cheap plastic case). They are still selling iPad Mini (a 2 year old iPad 2 in a smaller case) is a indication they are running out of ideas and becoming more and more uncompetitive.

5. Forge Vault

Forge Vault

6. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

That's strange. I am pretty sure they have exactly the same internal specs -
    (From wiki):

iPad 2
    System-on-chip : Apple A5
    CPU: 1 GHz dual-core ARM Cortex-A9
    Graphics: PowerVR SGX543MP2
    Memory : 512 MB DDR2 RAM
    Display: 1024×768
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPad_2

iPad Mini
    System-on-chip : Apple A5 2nd Generation (32nm)
    CPU: 1 GHz dual-core ARM Cortex-A9
    Graphics: PowerVR SGX543MP2
    Memory : 512 MB DDR2 RAM
    Display: 1024×768
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPad_Mini

"The iPad Mini features partially the same hardware as the iPad 2. Both screens have resolutions of 1024 x 768, but the iPad Mini has a smaller screen and thus higher pixel density than iPad 2 (163 PPI vs 132 PPI). Unlike the iPad 2, it has 5 MP and 1.2 MP cameras and the Lightning connector. The system-on-chip is A5, which is the same one found in the later revision of the iPad 2 (32 nm). The audio processor is the same found in iPhone 5 and iPad 4th generation, which allows the iPad Mini to have Siri and voice dictation unlike the iPad 2. The graphics processor (GPU) of the iPad Mini is the same one found in the iPad 2 (PowerVR SGX543MP2)."

7. Forge Vault

Forge Vault

We must have an older revision of the iPad 2 since it came with multiple system chips. It's a little lame when they do that, makes it tough to support the device...

8. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Maybe Apple is trying to stop the IPad 2 from working well.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  9. ZJP

ZJP

Cook is fired. The Woz is the new CEO. ;)

10. techmage

techmage

We are due for...

New Mac Pro
    New Cinema Displays
    New Macbook Pro

I don't think that we will see mobile refreshes because remember how last year the iPad 3 was release in oct/sept 2012 and then in march 2013 came the iPad 4 and iPhone 5? Which makes me presume that Apple is switching to a spring release date for new mobile products.

But I don't know maybe.

The new iPad and iPhone are supposed to have the power vr 6 series in them. Which means these devices will be a major evolution of mobile graphics...

11. Bael

Bael

Not sure where you got those timelines at - the iPhone 5 was announced/released in September of last year.. so it's pretty much guaranteed this is a new mobile product. Much like the others, I don't imagine it's anything but an 'S' update to the 5, and a budget version or price reduction on the existing models.

12. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

It will be about the new iPhones and the release of iOS 7. It may also have the date for the release of the Mac Pro. I'm not expecting anything too spectacular, though. Apple hasn't done all that much in the way of innovation since Steve passed.

Come again?

13. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

We've known this for months.

Whats to be expected:

New iPad
    -Same as old ipad but just vamped up interiors

New iPad mini
    -Possible, not much talk going on about this tho so that may be early 2014

New iPhone 5s
    -Pretty much same as old iphone but will come with a stronger flash, possible a7 chip and improved camera, also coming in 2 new colours of champagne and graphite

New line called iPhone 5c
    -Cheap iPhone coming in multiple colours which will be made of plastic to contest with the mid-priced market. will be low-specced

iOS 7
    -Currently got this running on my device, very nice, fresh iOS. Pretty much the same but just looks better and 'newer'. Don't expect anything too much

the only thing in speculation which i am personally unsure of is whether they are going ahead with the finger print scanner or not, there seems to be a lot of yes/no around that.

Screenshots of the casing of both 5c and 5s

$20298.png
    $champagne-iphone-5s-640x481.jpg
    $graphite_iphone5s1-800x534.jpg

There may be possible talk of the iWatch but that isnt expected till late 2014.

Pre-orders will start from the 12th more than likely and then be shipping from 20th-30th

I dont think we will see any new macbooks as they very recently revamped that line, but you never know.
    I would really really like to see Apple TV (an actual tv) and a new apple monitor but i dont think we will see any of them this year.
    And speculations of iPhone having a larger screen are going to be totally wrong as these casing images are leaked (probably by apple them selves) and final.

I will be getting the 5s personally, but im not going to be excited for an apple product until we see this:
    $iphone-6-wrap-around-screen-concept-03.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  14. renman3000

renman3000

I pray Steve Jobs had a list of ideas, leaps and bounds in technology that Apple, if smart, will go about building. Who knows what ideas he might have passed onto Tim Cook, if any. #RrrTreasureMatey

15. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

There is definitely 10-20 years worth of future already planned out for apple before steve passed away, its not like they just did things by the day. everything they are doing now will more than likely be what was planned out.

16. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

You are probably right in some way but i would put the timing to 3-8 years.
    The cheap phone thing was something they planed since years.

Im not a big apple fan but if they like to survive they have to bring something big and never seen befor.

17. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Apple has had a history of planned obsolescence, I think its rather clear that they have designed IOS to work terribly on older devices. The clearest part to see that is in the Ipad2 and Ipad mini. And you know the sensor thats needed for Siri, the app that not only works on older devices but also was on the Appstore at one time? If you meant that I wrote "to" instead of "two" then I hope you could rub two neurons together and work it out.

I don't think Jobs was this all wonderful ideas guy. More he was aware of what ideas of other peoples would sell well. I think that since he died Apple is playing the safe way with what it is producing, with any design radically different from the current "I" styling unlikely to happen. Also what I don't get is why don't they have an aluminum back for the 5c, I mean seriously? What it costs an extra $1.50 or something? Its not like he designed them or whatever, that is the design department and Jonathan Ive, and the technology seems to be what they can make seem fancy and new from a year or so ago.

I reckon we can see, if Apple announces sapphire screens on their phones, induction charging and a Apple TV(This one just needs to be by the end of 2014) then they might do ok, but other then that I think that there marketing died with Jobs.

Not even Intel can see that far into the future! I'd say they know what they are doing for 3 years and have a slight idea of direction for 5-6 years after that.

18. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

One to two decades? As Apple themselves have demonstrated repeatedly (the iPod and then the iPhone and then the iPad) we have no idea how computers or the Internet will be being used in 5 years. So the idea that they've got some rock solid plan spanning two to four times longer than that from which they will not deviate does not seem particularly realistic to me.

They may have been the ones setting the trends over the past few years, but there were others before and there will be others afterwards.

19. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Think about what they're selling and look at how they're advertising it. It's about the image at least as much as it's about the tech.

20. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Here you go, all my thoughts pretty much confirmed:

21. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Pretty much confirmed?!?! No thanks I'll wait untill, oh you know the place that is actually making them confirmes for us.

Yeah, but I think they make Ipod touches look relatively cheap and nasty compared to Iphones and they have aluminium backs.

22. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

You realise all this leaked material will be purposely leaked by apple employees? if you are going to put your head in the sand go ahead, im just saying that all this stuff is pretty much 100% gonna be announced. there may be other stuff aswell but this information has been circulating the web for almost a year and to deny it seems odd, its like you havent done any research into whats coming up and you're just waiting for it to be on a platter.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  23. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Update:

Rumoured iPhone 5s finger print scanner is suggested in this leaked box. Looks like that is becoming more confirmed the closer the date gets even tho its still up in the air.

$iphnringsnsr10.jpg

24. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

It was widely believed that the Ipad 4 would have a tactile response screen, it didn't. I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm just saying its not confirmed until officially announced.

25. Kryger

Kryger

The fingerprint thing is now confirmed, just like the plastic 5c. Something unexpected for me at least was that 5s is 64-bit and the A7 performance boost seems to be pretty big if we are to believe Apple's graphs.

26. VIC20

VIC20

Does the A7 use a PowerVR Series 6 (Rogue)? I think those are the first PowerVR ones that support OpenGL ES 3.0

27. meta87

meta87

Agreed, the 5s looks impressive performance wise. Gonna make for some really pretty Unity games!

28. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

I have a big feeling that huge performance jump may demand your software be 64 bit optimized, else you running on some compatibility mode. Not much of a chip guy here, but I think we may be forced to expect some sort of Unity update to be able to take advantage of 64 bit.

On a side note... I find it odd they opted to retain the 4s in the lineup as the free phone. Sure, its their old pattern, but I was sort of expecting them to get rid of the 30 pin connector for good. It also would had drastically simplified their lineup if all phones this year were called iPhone 5 [something]

Maybe next year they may start doing that, moving the 5s hardware inside the plasticky body and calling it iPhone 6C or something...

To be fair though: I want a bigger iphone. No bigger screen means I wont get an iphone this year. I will still be getting an ipad for my iOS gaming needs, but I'm definitively getting something else this year. Looking forward to the Lumia 1520.

29. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

LMAO. You guys got duped.
    That graph you saw was comparing iPhone 5s to the FIRST GENERATION IPHONE !!! The one that came out in 2007, more than 7 years ago!

I doubt it will be 2X even compare to iPhone 5 CPU wise. My bet is that, that "2X" performance boost, is compare to iPhone 4S!! (Because they removed the "iPhone 5" officially) Also 64 bit CPU is UNNECESSARY for a Phone. What program do you think will benefit from that? Are you rendering your next blockbuster movie on that phone? iPhone 5 only came with 1GB of RAM. At most Apple will pair iPhone 5S with 2GB RAM. That means it is pointless for the CPU to go 64 bit if it cannot take advantage of the bigger memory register if it only got 2GB of physical memory to address. 64 bit is only necessary when you go over the 4GB addressable memory limit. And why would a phone need more than 4GB of memory?! My desktop computer doesn't even has more than 4GB memory!

Also, same camera, new colored light as flash, a new chip to better track your movement, and a new NSA enabled finger print scanner...
    Overall, a huge disappointment.

30. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

I'm still trying to guess if this is one of your usual "lets troll em by making fun of the apple haters" posts.

Anyways, my true big disapointment: the free 4s had it's memory downgraded to 8GB... thats... lame. I already struggle with 16GB, and didnt they have the free iPhone 4 with 16GB of memory this past year?

31. VIC20

VIC20

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers" Thomas J. Watson, IBM

"permanently connected??? I don't want my computer to be permanently connected to the internet, that makes no sense", VIC20, 1994

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  32. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

33. Pix10

Pix10

Careful, you'll let on that you don't know what you're talking about ... Prepare yourself for some major rebuttals ;)

34. VIC20

VIC20

So they really use the PowerVR Series 6 now - that's a serious step ahead.

35. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Why do you think anyone got "duped"? The graphs are really clear; not sure how you could have managed to misread them. The whole point was to compare to the first iPhone...pretty cool how fast mobile hardware has advanced, and almost absurd how much the graphics performance improved over the last few generations. Is your current desktop 40X faster than the one you had 7 years ago? Nope, not even close. (However, I'd expect some slowdown in the rate of improvement at this point, especially since speeds are pretty much "good enough" now. My iPod touch 4 did need to be faster, particularly in the graphics department, but I'd have to say my iPod touch 5 is fast enough for everything I use it for. I'd be more interested in battery improvements at this point, not speed.) The 2X boost is indeed compared to the iPhone 5; again, it's quite clear. Strange rant, I must say....

--Eric

36. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Perhaps I should clarify that - I meant AT THIS TIME FRAME - it seems necessary since most programs running on iPhone are not going to make use of more than 4GB of memory when the App size limit is 2GB. And even physical memory that come with iPhone is only 1GB. Maybe in a few years time when physical memory expanded beyond 4GB (I predict beyond 2016) then it will make more sense.

I would like to be enlightened. Someone tell me what 64 bit CPU is good for besides bigger addressable memory.

37. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Sure - it doubles the amount of CPU registers and changes the instruction set. It can result in better performance with certain operations, resulting in better performance overall. Support for > 4GB of ram per process is just an added bonus for the future.

Unity may not take advantage of it for a bit, but the OS likely will.

38. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Also likely it means you can move and work on 64 bits of data in one cycle rather than 32, potentially doubling performance IF you're doing stuff that relies on a lot of bandwidth, lots of memory operations etc

39. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

The size of a program has nothing to do with how much memory it uses to execute. Go check out some demoscene stuff, you'll often see executables under 64kb using hundreds of megabytes of RAM.

40. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

These graphs are clearly fake?!?! The Iphone 3GS was wayyyy more powerful than the 3G which was wayyy more powerful than the original. I remember when people were like "Holy S*** someone has 3D on the Iphone".

41. Dabeh

Dabeh

Take into account the scale of the graph :D.

42. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I did, considering many people complained about the performance of the Iphone 4 due to the retina display (Apparently it was just a 3GS overclocked to 900mhz or something) yet it is shown as a fair bit of a performance increase.

43. Dabeh

Dabeh

The iPhone 4 WAS a performance increase, the resolution increase made it look like it was slower.

44. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

So this is offscreen rendering or something?

45. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

+1 I dont think anyone here mis-understood that 40x performance information.

Overall I am very happy with the reveal, been watching some hands on and the gold/champagne looks beautiful and the finger print scanner seems very seamless. Happy with the specs and new camera also. Looking forward to preordering mine on the 20th :)

46. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Uhh... no. It had a 2x (or whatever) more powerful GPU, but it also had 4x more pixels to render to when running at native resolution. Since mobile devices are typically fill-rate bound anyway, that had the effect of roughly halving (or whatever) the performance for most applications, even though there was a drastic increase in computing horsepower behind the scenes.

47. msl_manni

msl_manni

Please somebody tell me what's is this contract for 5c @99 scheme.

48. goat

goat

Well given that 'Retina' displays easily have the resolution needed for HDTVs and the popularity of the iOS App Store, Apple would be making a poor business decision to not produce an 'Apple TV' all the while knowing that it is really more of an iOS Game Console.

If they kept it at the price of an iPod touch and it looked good they'd make a lot of money. Given that it would not need a lot of the iPod touch hardware they might conceivably make a device the size of a USB dongle that plugs into an available HDMI port. The game controllers would be external.

49. VIC20

VIC20

Yes, seems this is nonsense in the low end of the graph

It was by far not that a huge performance increase like the 3GS compared to the 3G was.

CPU:
    iPhone 3GS: ARM Cortex-A8 @ 600 MHz
    iPhone 4: Apple A4 (ARM Cortex-A8) @ 800 MHz

GPU:
    iPhone 3GS: PowerVR SGX535 @150 MHz
    iPhone 4: PowerVR SGX535 @200 MHz

The GPU was just 25% faster and the number of pixels quadrupled. In worst case this is just 33% of the performance of the 3GS.

50. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Hence the "or whatever" twice in what I said. I knew there were increases, but I wasn't too interested in looking them up. Additionally, clock speed isn't the only thing that determines the performance of a chip.