Search Unity

Apple Design Awards

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Joachim_Ante, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

The design awards are right now.

Sitting between 4000 mac developers, my hands are shaking. I cant wait...

Wish us luck.

2. Samantha

Samantha

GOOD LUCK! Win one for all of us!

3. Garen

Garen

Go Unity!

4. drJones

drJones

Good Luck!!!!

5. pete

pete

good luck!

6. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

I hate to steal Jeremy's tag line, but "Go Team"!

Hey, can you guys show us a photo of the Unity booth there? Wish I still lived in SF. I always loved getting into Moscone Center for WWDC for free. I hope you guys are having a great time and showing everyone how much Unity rocks.

7. taumel

taumel

So any news? :O)

8. freyr

freyr

9. jeremyace

jeremyace

lol. Ahem... "Go Team" guys! ;-)

Good luck you guys, you certainly deserve it.

-Jeremy

10. taumel

taumel

@freyr

Thanks and congratulations! :O)

Seems fair to me or how do you feel about it?

Not that it's all about appearance but modo alone just looks so damn slick and the tool is so configurable. I already thought they are in bed with modo a bit as they also had them on their presentation for the performance measurement.

11. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

I'm a bit annoyed to be beaten in the Development Tool category by a bloody text editor....

Maybe apple decided we belonged more in Graphics, though...

12. taumel

taumel

Maybe V2... ;O)

13. jeremyace

jeremyace

You're kidding? Ouch... :eek:

-Jeremy

14. taumel

taumel

@freyr

By the way does there exist a list which contains the places behind the first two?

15. freyr

freyr

I don't think Apple disclosed any other contestants but the winner and runner-up in each category.

16. taumel

taumel

Hmm would have been interesting to see at least the top ten in each category to browse what's up there.

17. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

There's really no doubt at all that Unity should have won in the developer category, but still, the more recognition the better!

--Eric

18. tbelgrave

tbelgrave

Heheh no worries you'll get em next time ;) But yeah a text editor :roll:

Cheers

19. Alpha-Loup

Alpha-Loup

I think its not beaten... its missunderstood. Looking at Unity you actually feel like being inside an easy to use app and not in some sort of type-convert-and-compile-some-stuff-thingie called development somewhat...
    So, just keep on and let "them" stick to their complicated stuff! You are definitly going the right way and you all are doing a great job! And thanks for giving us the tool to build our games wich would have been so much harder without.

20. Morgan

Morgan

Congratulations!

Of course it deserved a full win :) All I can think is:

a) Unity's strength isn't 100% obvious until you sit down and understand that the testimonials are true.

b) A text editor has a very broad audience--ANY developer can use one.

21. pete

pete

runner up?! c'mon... modo's hardly even complete! ok unity's still evolving but even so boo hiss to the judges! same with the text editor phooey!

either way congrats! ;)

22. Marble

Marble

More than anything it shows that people still don't take games seriously. No matter how elegantly designed a software is, if it's for games, "it's still just a toy."

23. CoherentInk

CoherentInk

Well, according to at least one site, Unity was actually a winner!

http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2006/8/9/4937

Although one of the comments there points out the confusion.

Congrats anyhow, runner-up is still a great recognition, we can only hope that v2.0 will prompt Apple to single Unity out next year in the Developer Tool category.

24. taumel

taumel

I think the result is fair when i compared the two products.

Due to that it's not realtime modo just offers more stunning results (and realtime graphics will continue to look less spectacular till some further years), it features also some nice physical based rendering concepts behind, the user interface is much better, crossplatform availability,...

But both modo and unity are unfinished products - feature and bug wise, both had their latest update for a certain event like unity's 1.5 is a WWDC deadline release whilst modo 202 is a siggraph release and not because they would have been ready, both use their customers for beta-testing and so on...

Now you can discuss about why unfinished products are released at all. In both cases there would be no product if the companies have nothing so sell till the product is really ready to ship. Otherwise they would have been forced to look for different funding (like in the game industry for instance and find a publisher? ;O)).

Small products or bigger products from big companies are more released when they are more ready because it's affordable for them. Director for instance will for sure come out with much less bugs because they have the ressources to do this internally. On the other side you also won't get updates every two or three months, so if there is a bug, get used to it for a longer period.

I miss the times when you bought a product that it just worked. I can't remember a single lockup i had on the C64: load, run, working. There was no install the product first, then install an update or two and so on.

Reasons why this changed are the complexity of the products, the funding issue, online distribution and an altered attitude towards this.

It's really funny to see if you're for instance doing a job for an agency how much more effort into debugging and getting it done right from scratch is put into a product which shows up on a cd-rom than if you do a project which is just a web release.

I don't think that games are not taking seriously generally. Look at how many billions are involved in this market and you soon will notice that this market is out of the 80s. So with all this money involved you can be quite sure that this is taken seriously. Furthermore Apple also gave an Award for the best game.

On the other side, well it's Apple. If they would take it really serious than they would build other computers as well, right?! I don't know if unity was only presented as a gameengine which would have been a big mistake due to the market for multimedia.

Whilst games are maybe the greatest fun on a computer to do, to be honest they are for sure not the most important thing. A breakthrough in some medical/research software for sure is much more worth than a breakthrough in an fps engine.

Finally i think it's a great success that otee (no press annoucement?) made the second price and if looking at this objective there are also reasons why another product seemed to be better for Apple.

25. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

I complete agree that modo before Unity is fair for graphics... We had, however, entered Unity as a development tool as well. I think apple saw us as "They do 3D => that belongs in graphics", which is a shame.

I'm pretty sure David will get working on a press release once the dust settles.

EDIT: When I think about it, coming 2nd place in the graphics setion is actually more impressive - there's a LOT of heavy competition there.

26. Bampf

Bampf

Yeah, the text editor thing seemed odd to me at first. But maybe it's worth keeping in mind what the Apple Design Awards are trying to reward. Unity is #1 in my book, but I suspect the design awards are probably more likely to notice overt uses of Apple technology, and whether the resulting application has that sexy OS X look-and-feel.

Anyway, it did well, and since graphics are one of the first things game developers look for in their engine, it's not a bad category to place in.

27. Morgan

Morgan

True--maybe adapting Unity's look to have the Pro App look (like Final Cut Pro, Soundtrack Pro, etc.) would "impress" Apple more. But CAN anyone but Apple use the Pro App GUI? The one with the extra thin window titlebars?

(I've always found it a little odd that the pro apps have their own skin, but I do like the look. Except I have room on my screen for full-size titlebars. Anyway... it's probably all changing with Leopard.)