Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Apple Begins Rejecting Apps That Offer Rewards For Video Views, Social Sharing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sisso, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Sisso

Sisso

Wind of changes... (or not :p)

http://techcrunch.com/2014/06/09/ap...offer-rewards-for-video-views-social-sharing/

"Apple has begun to crack down on tools that app developers use to monetize and grow their applications, including incentivized video viewing and rewarded social sharing, as well as discovery tools that allow users to find apps inside the games they’re already playing."

http://toucharcade.com/2014/06/09/a...on-rewarding-players-for-ad-views-and-shares/

"This seems to be Apple's next step following what felt like really pushing paid apps during WWDC. Every Apple Design Award went to apps and games with a price tag, and similarly, the upcoming app bundles only work for paid apps."

2. wccrawford

wccrawford

Such a shame, too. I was just saying the other day that Dragon Coins (by Sega) does a great job of encouraging people to watch video ads without requiring it by giving them in-game money for it. You can get it from just playing the game, too. It's just extra. (In fact, you get a lot more by playing, so it's not even restrictive.) And this will kill that on IOS. I play on Android, so I'm hoping they don't stop it on both.

Another game I play, Doctor Who Legacy, won't offered game-save sync with their Facebook version because of Apple's policies on *that*. Unfortunately, they've refused to put the feature in their Android version because of that.

In short, I'm a little sick of Apple's policies in regards to monetization. It doesn't seem to be aimed at stopping fraud or abuse, but simply to make sure that Apple gets their cut. *sigh*

3. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Who's going to watch a 30 second ad unless they got something for it.

4. tswalk

tswalk

hmmm.. not surprised though. While they pull back the opportunities, someone else will pick them up... in the end, they'll just find themselves trying to catch up again with the pack.

5. randomperson42

randomperson42

People who are forced to do so.
    But if I'm playing a game, I would rather be given the choice and rewarded for watching rather than be forced. So it benefits the player and obviously the developer, so the question is, what does Apple have to gain by doing this?

6. tswalk

tswalk

restrict developer choice by implementing their own to keep the monetary growth elevated.... what else could it possibly be?

7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Hope IAP dies in a fire. I've never liked it, and as a developer, I feel forced to employ it.

Essential, BTStone and FlyingRobot like this.
  8. randomperson42

randomperson42

In theory, yeah. I'm kind of in the same boat as you. But you've got to make your money somehow. The death of IAP does no one any good unless another alternative presents itself.

9. Murgilod

Murgilod

10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

If it's a level playing field, everyone goes back to paying for apps. I fondly remember those times.

Izitmee likes this.
  11. sphericPrawn

sphericPrawn

Well my first thoughts on this are that the mobile game market is the way it is because of what was, for the most part, a free market. The consumers spoke with their wallets, and what the majority of them said was that they would rather download a game for free and deal with ads and/or IAPs/freemium. Obviously there are other factors, such as the insane amounts of shovelware making first-time uses wary of committing $ to an app without trying it first, but we are largely where we are today because of what (most) consumers wanted when given a choice.

It'll be interesting to see if Apple can use their "closed-garden" approach to successfully change the iOS gaming market back to what it once was. And if so, will it affect the Android and WP8 market..

12. icreate

icreate

I wonder about when apps offer rewards for social sharing. Candy Crush gets the player to ask their friends to get lives, does this count as social sharing?
    Or the restriction is only limited to doing a general post like sharing a link?

13. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

They don't want their platform to be dominated by apps where you have to keep watching 3rd party adverts to unlock functionality? I mean what is this, free-to-air TV?

Apple is a very premium brand, it could that their desire to protect that is influencing this.

14. Deleted User

Deleted User

YES YES THAT HAHAHHAHA

15. Secruoser

Secruoser

What about the model where you have a free app (with limited feature) and paid app (full feature)?

16. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

I much prefer the single-free-app with IAP to unlock 'pro' features approach.

17. Secruoser

Secruoser

Me too. At least I don't have to download the same app once again and mess up my springboard.

18. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Check out "Free" by Chris Andersen where he explains Free as a by-product of reduced distribution costs. In the case of games, the distribution cost drove ever down to zero. He explains is really, REALLY well. At $5, it's required reading, IMHO.

Gigi

19. Sisso

Sisso

I think that main objective is valid information, they are trying to cut down the abuse of some apps that cause statistic garbage of installs, ads and social.

20. JFo

JFo

21. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Apps promoting other apps sure. But you've still got social sharing providing it doesn't directly promote another app. There's also google play to play for, and that's a market that's slowly improving.

The service gives players the power to easily record, share and discuss extraordinary moments from their gameplay sessions leading to authentic virality with the players’ friends and the broader audience of involved gamers.

This is still allowed by Apple. It's not promoting another game or service, but increasing the visibility of your own game, and as far as I know, Apple doesn't have a problem with this.

It could lead to problems being advertised in other games though. We'll see.

22. Peter Apple

Peter Apple

(bookmarked)

23. DalerHakimov

DalerHakimov

I didn't get this new policy. So, no ads at all? except when you advertise other games which are yours?
    How is the free games going to be monetized?

24. DanielQuick

DanielQuick

The way I understand it is that you can't incentivize the watching of video ads or sharing. Meaning: You can't give ingame currency to persuade people into watching video ads, and you can't give extra lives by sharing the game with your friends via Facebook.

25. DalerHakimov

DalerHakimov

It's one side of issue... another side is you can't advertise other games in your app/games, which are not yours.. So, that's why I was asking does it mean no more ads in free games...?

26. gshape

gshape

This news is kinda bad for Free App with IAP. I am about to add Everyplay to my game, probably need to hold off fire now.

27. sphericPrawn

sphericPrawn

One thing I wonder is why is it such a bad thing for developers to offer an incentive for watching video ads. Pretty much every TV channel (excluding premiums like HBO) in the US have about 9 minutes of video ads for every 21 minutes of actual content. Streaming services such as Hulu Plus force you to watch multiple video ads for all content you view. YouTube forces you to at least partially view video ads randomly on their hosted videos. Why is it then frowned upon for a developer to give you the OPTION to either watch a video ad for content or pay cash?

28. Secruoser

Secruoser

I think it's different from TV commercials in a sense that you can switch channels or turn the TV off without any feeling but if you know that watching a video from a game will give you extra life, score or in-game currency, you are COERCED to do it. It's optional yes, but if you don't do it you will feel losing something which you can actually get. There's an element of coercion.

29. GMM

GMM

The issue in most cases is that the end users are more often than not, automatically handicapped in terms of progression due to the design being centered around monetizing the users. Ads on TV are a bit different, but also completely disgusting in it's execution as large networks force production companies to adapt content to expose viewers to as many advertisements as possible.

When advertisement interfere with the foundation of design, then you begin to have real issues and it's the reason why these forms of monetization techniques are frowned upon. In order to offer something of value for a user in these cases, you will actually have to remove value you can lock behind a "paywall".

30. sphericPrawn

sphericPrawn

Well that sounds like symptoms of a superior content, all though its not really. Why is it somehow better to sit through a commercial to watch Mad Men then it is to keep your character alive that much longer. There's that old saying "grass, cash, or ass", although in this case it's "your time, or your money".

31. Pix10

Pix10

Any chance of an official word on this?

We were making plans to test GameAds rewards, but I assume Apple are throwing a blanket on all of it?

A real shame if so, as it's a great incentive mechanism that hurts no-one.

32. tswalk

tswalk

I don't really look at it this way as I see it as an even further digression to a closed platform which restricts users and developers; however, I suppose one could think of it as premium... most just don't look at other companies this way whom act in such a controlling and restrictive manner.

33. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Perhaps, but they're not doing that for no reason. Why would they? It's not like they want fewer people making apps for their platform, and this is a move that shuts down one of the things people were doing to make money, so they're not going to do it unless they have a good reason...

34. TheRaider

TheRaider

The main issue is it is cutting apple out the pie! They never really liked incentive walls either so not surprising.

I assume this is to keep IAP alive.

35. BrainMelter

BrainMelter

I would assume so, yes. Getting lives would be considered a reward. And asking your friend to join up is social sharing

I'm curious if Candy Crush would have been at all successful if it didn't spread itself to your friends.

36. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

probably not, but several other more-deserving games probably would get seen and played.

unityunity