Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Apple App Clips

Discussion in 'Project Tiny' started by Markusn, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Markusn

Markusn

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one seeing the WWDC keynote portion about App Clips and thinking "10MB size limit? That kicks all Unity apps out right there. Wait. Maybe that could be another interesting target for Tiny!!"

Not that you don't have enough on your plate but when we get closer to this new reality, consider letting us know if this is a use case you see in your camp.

Thanks for all the good work so far!

Blarp and samuelmorais like this.
  2. brunocoimbra

brunocoimbra

AFAIK Tiny is aimed towards both Web and Mobile development, so I don't see why not include App Clips in there (similar to playable ads and facebook instant games)

3. Skjalg

Skjalg

Yeah I agree, this seems like a perfect fit for it

4. Jelmer123

Jelmer123

Is it possible today to make an iOS app < 10MB with Unity (perhaps using Tiny)?

Alternatively: could you make a "native" iOS app (just Xcode) that is under 10MB and then download the Unity part as a plugin afterwards or something?

5. brunocoimbra

brunocoimbra

While not sure about Tiny on iOS (never tried, I only used for web so far), the later is surely possible: https://forum.unity.com/threads/using-unity-as-a-library-in-native-ios-android-apps.685195/

6. Jelmer123

Jelmer123

Hmm I did a very quick test, but no success. I'm not too familiar with XCode, but I managed to add a new target for app clips to a Unity-generated Xcode project. But that app clip seems to be completely separate from the Unity App (and was just empty).
    I'm not sure how to add Unity content to an app clip target? Or how to convert a Unity app to an app clip?

Blarp likes this.
  7. In2Play

In2Play

I'm interested in this too.

8. OLGV

OLGV

Gamified App Clips ?!?! - sounds cool to me.
    But indeed, probably Tiny is the way to go with that.

9. Skjalg

Skjalg

Yeah I would love it if someone with deep knowledge about unity tiny took a look at this

10. unity_WHU2VAI6_H7PFg

unity_WHU2VAI6_H7PFg

Would like to know this as well.

11. liamwalsh

liamwalsh

On iOS you can't download and run code at runtime - so you wouldn't be able to use Unity as a library and download it at runtime - the exception to this would be web based applications - you could download a webgl unity project inside of an app clip experience - ( on iOS you can make a decent game under 10MB by using SceneKit and SpriteKit, they're both *ok* and have acceptable visual tools inside of Xcode)

12. Ayoub_Gharbi

Ayoub_Gharbi

Any update on how to approach building App Clips with Unity?

Wander1288, Jelmer123 and firstuser like this.
  13. Jelmer123

Jelmer123

True but would'nt you kind of make two version of the game, one as an app clip (super small) and one normal one? Apple will load the normal one on user request?

Ayoub_Gharbi likes this.
  14. unity_WHU2VAI6_H7PFg

unity_WHU2VAI6_H7PFg

Has anyone come across any documentation/tutorials on creating App Clips with Unity, assuming the app size is <10MB?

There's plenty of documentation for making Instant Apps with Google Play Instant, but is there similar tools/documentation for App Clips?

15. Wander1288

Wander1288

Hey, did you manage to solve the problem or find something useful about the Clipps App?

16. vice39

vice39

Seems this is not possible. Anyone disagrees?

17. Suwas93

Suwas93

Any updates here on how to make App Clips leveraging Unity? Thanks

18. adam_unity450

adam_unity450

Also interested in a solution for deploying an app clip built in Unity.

Would be great if we could get a comment from a Unity developer whether this is something they are considering supporting.