Search Unity

AppendStructuredBuffer slow initial performance

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by DrummerB, Sep 10, 2019.

1. DrummerB

DrummerB

I have a custom raytracer implemented as a compute shader. Inspired by an article series I wanted to try to use a ray scheduler system. The idea is to have an AppendStructuredBuffer<Ray> and split the ray generation and tracing into two kernels. This would allow scheduling fewer rays at the peripheral vision of a VR user and more rays at the center of the screen.

However, after implementing this separation of ray scheduling and ray tracing, there is a noticeable drop in performance immediately after starting the scene. Initially, I thought that using an AppendStructuredBuffer was causing the slow down as it required some synchronization between the threads. Interestingly, after about 5-10 seconds, the performance significantly improves and returns to similar levels as the old implementation.

After some experimenting, I think the slow down is caused by AppendStructuredBuffer.Append() function. If I remove that line (but otherwise do the same amount of work), there is no slow down on start.

I'm a bit stumped why the performance would start super slow and then without any change in workload, magically and consistently improve after about 10 seconds.

upload_2019-9-10_15-42-19.png

The blue part here is almost exclusively the compute shader. It goes from an initial execution time of around 180-200 ms to 1-2 ms.