Search Unity

Apparent SteamVR Timeout For Long Game Loadtimes

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by xenius, Jul 17, 2017.

1. xenius

xenius

Hello,

I'm posting this in the hopes that someone else has run into this issue, or might know how to troubleshoot it.

Experienced in: Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades
    Running: Unity 5.5.0p3

The Bug:

For some users, who either have a somewhat restricted ram ceiling (only 8gb), and/or loading from a mechanical HDD, the load time of the game is a touch long (3+ minutes). During this time, some connection between Unity and SteamVR seems to be 'lost'. This manifests in one of two behaviors:

1. Controller geo still shows for hands, but no buttons respond.

2. Controller geo shows, but are at scene origin, as if they have never been bound to controllers.

This bug has happened to dozens of users who have reported it (and most likely more who have simply refunded the game assuming it is broken). It has been incredibly difficult to repro, as we have no machine in our office that is slow enough for it to occur, and even users who have reported it don't have it occur 100% of the time, making debugging it difficult.

I'm posting this here in the hope of finding out if there's some internal cutoff for when controller binding stops occurring, or if anyone has any ideas about how initialization order might vary for very long load times. I'm stumped on what to do, and the project file for the game is _massive_ (~85gb, takes 1 day to import, problem doesn't occur in smaller projects).

Thanks for your time!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017