Search Unity

"App would like to find and connect devices on your local network" Pop Up

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by LimeJuice, Nov 5, 2020.

1. LimeJuice

LimeJuice

Since iOS 14, I have this message in a Pop Up that ask for permission:
    "App would like to find and connect devices on your local network, this app will be able to discover and connect to devices on the networks you use".

I am using internet for ads and analytics only, do I have to have that Pop Up showing?

Mskis likes this.
  2. DiegoDePalacio

DiegoDePalacio

Unity Technologies

Hi @LimeJuice,

This is caused because in your app there is some code (probably coming from a 3rd party library/plugin) that tries to find/connect to other devices on your LAN.

You can see more information about it here: https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2020/10110/

More likely you will be able to find the description that you mentioned on your generated
    info.plist
    file that will be created on your building process.

I hope this helps!

Mskis and Joe-Censored like this.
  3. LimeJuice

LimeJuice

Thanks,
    my app should only try to access the internet, on the video you shared, he says it should be fine.

- Is there a way to find what pluggin is accessing the local network and trigger that message?
    - Can I prevent any plugin in the app to access the local Network so that the pop up does not show?

4. DiegoDePalacio

DiegoDePalacio

Unity Technologies

It's my pleasure to help!

One way to know which plugin is the one that is having code related to finding/connecting other devices in your LAN is to build an app using one of the samples of each plugin and check which one is adding such permission to the
    info.plist
    file (or check if it's triggering the popup when running the generated app).

Regarding prevent any plugin to avoid triggering the popup, I'm afraid that it's not so simple. You have to remove the code that is using such functionality. From my understanding, even if the related method or methods are not called the popup will be triggered.

If you're using Facebook SDK for Unity, you'll have this specific issue on development builds: https://github.com/facebook/facebook-sdk-for-unity/issues/463

Good luck with it!

Mskis and andreyshade like this.
  5. LimeJuice

LimeJuice

Thanks for your help, that was this FBSDK bug that cased it!

DiegoDePalacio likes this.
  6. TheTaj

TheTaj

Hi Diego,
    I am also running into this same issue, but none of the fixes I have seen on the forums are working for me.
    I have tried building a blank project (literally nothing in the project except TextMeshPro) onto iOS, but I still get the same "App would like to find and connect devices to your local network" pop-up when I start it.
    I have experienced this on Unity 2019.4 and one of the latest Unity versions 2020.1.13f1.

Are there any Unity versions that do not cause this pop-up? Any help would be appreciated.

7. DiegoDePalacio

DiegoDePalacio

Unity Technologies

Hi @TheTaj,

This shouldn't be the case at all.

Did you delete your XCode project before generating the build with the empty project?

If that's the case, and it's happening to you in a completely empty project with TextMeshPro, it's a bug. Would you mind reporting it, following these instructions: https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting ?

This will help us to have the related internal team looking at what's happening and fixing it.

Thank you!

8. TheTaj

TheTaj

Hi Diego,

You've inadvertently helped me solve this issue. I was reproing the issue to make absolutely sure before I sent it as a bug and I realized that I get this notification every time 'development build' is checked.
    Unchecking development build on both my blank project and my actual project has removed this notification.

Posting this here in case anyone else runs into this issue.
    Thanks for the quick response.

9. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Agreed, this seems to be the magic sauce. I think the app is announcing its debugging port or something, but I'm not a network weenie.

10. DiegoDePalacio

DiegoDePalacio

Unity Technologies

Hi @TheTaj,

I'm glad that you solved your issue.

Thank you for sharing your findings!

TheTaj likes this.
  11. Georg-Axelsson

Georg-Axelsson

Thanks TheTaj, unticking the development build solved it for me as well.

TheTaj likes this.
  12. piersb

piersb

Is there a bug report for this?

I'm assuming it's not intended Unity behaviour...

13. Polyfemos

Polyfemos

It's probably the remote profiler, right?

14. SmartMove02

SmartMove02

well well, it's my problem too :v

tinhnx likes this.
  15. RestlessSwords

RestlessSwords

yup, got rid of it for me, THANKS for reporting this fix