Search Unity

App Works in Editor, but blank screen when built

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by batvink, Oct 1, 2019.

1. batvink

batvink

Hi,

Looking for help in the early stages of my Unity development life.

I am unable to get my app running, I just get a blank screen after the loading bar has completed. Tested in WebGL (Chrome and Edge), Android and Standalone PC. I'm hoping I missed something fundamental.

In the Unity IDE, it runs fine. (2019.2.4f1). I am using ShareMyGame.com to test the WebGL, so that I am confident that the platform supports WebGL. Another tutorial game I uploaded works fine.

https://www.sharemygame.com/share/36d01217-ef1c-45ce-a98a-02c3068852f8 (Available until 26/09/2019)

I call it an app rather than a game, as it is a simple interface with 5 buttons, a text edit box, and a dynamic list of buttons in a scroll rect. Clicking the buttons starts and stops a timer and saves the times to a List<>.

I have checked the console and there are no error messages. I do not know how to trace potential issues any other way.

I added Debug.Log messages to Awake() and Start() attached to the main camera, and these are not output in the console; no code is running.

(This issue started as a post here, when I thought it was only WebGL)

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

JeffDUnity3D likes this.
  3. batvink

batvink

Thanks for the reply, I just came to the same conclusion a couple of hours ago, after 3 days of racking my brains. And you are absolutely correct!

The mistake I made was renaming the default scene (there is only one scene) by saving it as a different name. But of course at this stage, the Build Settings have already been set up with the original scene. I even remember thinking it will be fine to not delete the original scene from disk, it's only a small file.

The final clue that lead me to the answer was when I saw the IDE clear my scene structure as it built (I now know it was loading "SampleScene"). At this point, I changed the background colour of the camera from the default blue to green, and found that when I built the project, the background was still blue...in the words of Obi Wan, this is not the scene you are looking for.

Thanks again for looking at my issue.