Search Unity

App where you draw japanese characters - How?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yoannG, Oct 16, 2019.

1. yoannG

yoannG

Hi there!
    I am a beginner in Unity, as i have only built around 5-6 games with the help of online courses.
    I am wanting today to fly by own wings and try to make an app that can help me learn to write japanese characters.

A japanese character is made of a certain number of strokes that need to be made in a specific order, and of course with a specific shape.

I want 2 draw modes:
    -An easy mode that "snaps" to a pre-drawn stroke so that you focus more on the stroke order and the main curves of the character. As long as you don't go too off course, it will continue to snap to the curve (with some tolerance).
    -A hard mode that does not snap (freehand), with maybe a way to evaluate how close you were to the example, although that would maybe be really hard to do ^^.

So here are my questions/reflexions, as i don't really know how to deal with this technically at all :D.

Easy mode:
    I would detect where the finger or mouse input lands on screen, snap to the closest starting part of the closest stroke (which is maybe a bezier curve), then when moving i draw along the curve (this video shows how to draw on screen
    ).

Hard mode:
    Drawing on screen would create a bezier curve along the way.
    When complete, i compare it with the example. That feels tricky to do.. i would need to somehow superpose the 2 curves and have some checking of every values. Guess they would need to have the same number of points. Sounds out of my league but i don't know ^^.

So... yeah, that's about how i can think of doing this stuff.

What do you people think?
    Do you have an easier solution in mind or am i roughly in the right path?

I think that it is the most difficult when being a beginner.. as you don't know what are the different techniques available to make a given thing!

Thanks in advance for the courageous souls who will have read this probable nonsense until the end!