Search Unity

App Stores - Common Multi-Platform Deployment Approach

Discussion in 'Windows' started by PeachyPixels, Feb 25, 2021.

1. PeachyPixels

PeachyPixels

Hi Everyone,

I did try posting this on another forum, but no responses, so thought I would try one last time here.

I'm a one-person band about to release their first game on each platforms respective stores (Windows first, then Android then Apple). As a result I am currently going through the pain of trying to understand the idiosyncrasies of publishing to each store (with an app that utilises IAP)

Ultimately the key thing I'm trying to achieve is to have separate beta & release products. The idea being that testers can test a private beta (invite only) app, with the release app being completely separate. Post release, testers may choose to install the release app but continue to test the beta app (with fixes & new features)

Looking at all three platforms, I'm thinking of taking the lowest common denominator approach, so it's consistent across all three and easier for me to manage.

So it would be something like this for the beta app...

App Title - Beta
    com.<company>.<app>beta.<product>

And this for the release...

App Title
    com.<company>.<app>.<product>

I'm curious to hear from anyone (with good knowledge of all platforms) if that is a sensible approach (or not) or whether each platform offers this exact functionality utilising store features.

From what I can tell, test flights (on Windows & iOS) and tracks (on Android) ultimately only flight different versions of packages, but to the same app. So I can't achieve the two app scenario.

Then again, do I really need to? The separate beta app approach seems to make sense, but does it lead to setup & maintenance issues when building & deploying on any of the platforms?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.