Search Unity

App Store stops app distribution in China - Dec 31 deadline

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by Ukounu, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Ukounu

Ukounu

I just got an email from the App Store warning that I should provide "approval number and supporting documentation" for all my apps (paid or with in-app purchases) until December 31, otherwise they will be removed from the App Store in China Mainland.

They linked a page with further instructions, but it's entirely in Chinese.

http://www.nppa.gov.cn/nppa/contents/329/46005.shtml

I have no clue how I get this approval number and what "supporting documentation" I should provide. I tried to google-translate that page, and requirements to get that approval number seem to be incredibly complex and convoluted (full translation of every bit of text in game into Chinese, implementing anti-addiction system, business license and ICP certificate (what these even are?), a copyright registration contract (?), etc. etc.)

Application documentation should be submitted to "local provincial publication management department" (what and where is this?) on A4 paper, so I assume I should send this application by physical mail to some department in China?

Is it even feasible for an indie dev to pass all of that and actually obtain an approval number? Anybody has any experience with this?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  2. Ukounu

Ukounu

Am I the only one who cares? China is the second largest mobile markets on iOS (after US), so I'm surprised nobody is talking about this. Or all of you guys have traveled to China to obtain those mysterious licenses already, and I'm the only one who is late to the party? :confused:

3. Neto_Kokku

Neto_Kokku

Basically you have to partner up with a Chinese publisher or go home from now on. Their games market is basically closed off for direct publishing by foreigners.

4. Jmonroe

Jmonroe

I see that www.appinchina.co can help with license & publishing service. Who are some other companies to partner with?

5. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

6. Ukounu

Ukounu

How is that related to this thread? Unity Distribution Portal helps to automate uploading and publishing on several alternative Android stores. Unless I missed something, it's not compatible with iOS/App Store, and it won't help in any way to obtain licenses required for distributing on the App Store in China.

7. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Got it, I misunderstood the focus of your original question.

8. wtetotew

wtetotew

intersted as well. Anybody know about chinese partenership?