Search Unity

app store and non-iOS 4 apps...

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by etomp10291, Aug 25, 2010.

1. etomp10291

etomp10291

Hey,

Since unity 1.7 is not compatible with iOS 4. Will the app store still accept new apps for the old iOS 3?? Been developing app for a while and will be ready to submit soon and just want to make sure i can submit an app made with xcode 3.2 and unity 1.7...will these apps still be compatible with the new iPhone 4's??

Eric

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

There is no such thing as non iOS4 apps
    Either OS4 is the base sdk or the app will never go to the appstore at all

Also, there is no problem with Unity iPhone 1.7 builds being used on iOS4 actually :)

3. etomp10291

etomp10291

okay :)

i had heard some say that unity 1.7 was not compatible with the os4 sdk??

4. Jessy

Jessy

Really? Are you saying Apple is forcing everyone with older devices to upgrade to iOS 4? Does this mean that the original devices are not even allowed to get new apps?

5. User340

User340

Well you can set the base sdk to 4.0, but the target sdk to 3.0. This will allow new games to run on older devices.

6. Ntero

Ntero

You can manually change the Base SDK inside of XCode.

For a release build, set the Base SDK to 3.0 and the Target SDK to whatever you want the min. SDK requirement to be.

These settings are in Project->Edit Active Target.

7. Dreamora

Dreamora

You can naturally freely do that, deploy with a messed up xcode installation (because Apple does not distribute it at all anymore, 4.0 is the only SDK present in xcode)
    But apple will not accept it, I'm not even sure that you can upload it with the applications that you are now required to use.

Base SDK -> 4.0
    Deployment Target -> whatever you want as long as it is 3.0 or higher (applications for iOS2 are no longer accepted). This setting in case of Unity is present only in the Active Target Settings

That way you can support any device thats on OS 3.0 or higher, including the older devices too. But keep in mind: This will be the last year where you can ship updates to them, next year I'm confident that iOS4 will be the min deployment target and all older ones will be gone and its understandable as the applications need to double their pure executable code size to really support ARMV7 and its in apples best interest to enforce people to use it as the step from ARMV6 to ARMV7 is quite some and next year it will be the first year of out of order high speed cpus when apple rolls out devices with the Cortex9 (which it will or it will lose massive amounts of the market to android and wm7 within 12 months as they would be 50-80% slower) and by then at latest, they would definitely prefer to only have ARMV7 focused applications.

8. Ntero

Ntero

Sorry, I actually meant to write 4.0. It was a typo

It was for a solution of using 1.7 and deploying to the App Store.

But you explained it much better than I.

9. Dreamora

Dreamora

I think waht we generally forgot to mention though is: in unity - player settings: Set the SDK to UNKNOWN! :)
    that ensures that unity does not overwrite your changes in the xcode projects, helps your sanity seriously ;)