Search Unity

Question App sometimes only launches to black screen.

Discussion in 'VR' started by dalanchoo, May 9, 2021.

1. dalanchoo

dalanchoo

Hi,

I am experiencing an intermittent problem with an Oculus Quest game that I am developing. When I encounter this problem, I am unable to do any development in the editor. I am using Oculus Link to quickly iterate. Essentially, when I launch the game, sometimes my game will only load into a black screen instead of showing my level.

Previously, this problem would happen about 30% of the time, and I would somehow be able to work around the problem by rebooting my Quest, restarting Unity, unplugging and replugging in my Quest, rebooting my computer, etc. Usually, I can eventually get around this issue, but lately, it is happening more and more and I am having a much harder time getting past this issue. Sometimes I will try for 30 minutes and not be able to get past this.

I'm currently using Unity 2021.1.5f1, though I have been encountering this issue with the last several versions of Unity, going back probably about a year. Initially, I was using a Quest 1. I just purchased a Quest 2 which came with a different link cable. However, the problem happens with my Quest 1 and Quest 2, using the original cable or the new cable. Also, I have the same problem when using Air Link with my new Quest 2.

On my PC, I'm currently running the Oculus App version 28.0.0.222.469 though I'm sure it has happened on previous versions as well, as this app is set to auto-update.

When I use the Oculus Link cable, I hear the USB connect and disconnect sound happen several times when I try to run in the editor. These are the same sounds I hear when I plug in or unplug the link cable. When I run with Air Link, I don't here these USB connection and disconnection sounds.

Any ideas on how I can fix this issue?

I have included the log files for a successful and unsuccessful run. I have also included a video for a successful and unsuccessful run. (My level is all blue and contains nothing. I have to click on the Oculus button to bring up a dialog box that allows me to select options before I generate the world.)

Thanks in advance
    John Lawrie

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 10, 2021