Search Unity

App size on iOS (way larger than .ipa)

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by waldgeist, Sep 16, 2019.

1. waldgeist

waldgeist

I've noticed that my Unity app is way bigger on the actual device (around 400 MB) than the .ipa file size suggests (it's around 90 MB). What's the reason for this size "explosion" once the app is deployed to the device? Is it because the app has been compressed for the app store?

(I am using AR Foundation, if that matters.)

2. Moonjump

Moonjump

.ipa is compressed, device is not compressed.

When you upload a build to App Store Connect (you might do it during development anyway, for sharing with testers, publishers, etc.) you can get a report on download and build sizes for each device. It is likely to be different to a build you make yourself due to Apple files.

3. waldgeist

waldgeist

Hi @moonjump,

thanks for your fast response. Where exactly can I see this information on App Store Connect?

(I would also be curious about why a Unity app is that large and ways to reduce the size. Our assets are not really big, neither is our custom code.)

4. Moonjump

Moonjump

Once you have uploaded a build to App Store Connect, go to My Apps, the choose the app. Then select Activity, and then the build you want to check. In the top section called General Information is a Compressed File size. There is a blue link next to it to check build sizes.