Search Unity

Resolved App scene no longer loading on Quest 2

Discussion in 'VR' started by djlins, Nov 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djlins

djlins

I’m having trouble understanding what might be causing my Quest app to fail.

I have been adding things to one scene and building and testing and it is now at a point where it doesn’t load.

If I put it into SideQuest and run it the screen goes black. I don’t get the UNITY splash screen and the scene never loads.

My OVR Metrics tool shows this:

I have started the scene with all gameobjects inactive and it still wont load or initialise.

Does anybody know how I might be able to chase through the project and understand what might be causing this crash?

The single scene APK is under 500MB so I would think that would be okay?

Below is the metrics on the normal dashboard for comparison:

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can chase down what might be causing it to fall over now?

2. Tanya_Li

Tanya_Li

Unity Technologies

Hey, what Editor version and Oculus plugin version were you using? Could you please also attach a screenshot of your "Build Settings" window? Thanks

3. djlins

djlins

Good morning Tanya and thank you for your quick reply.

The editor version is 2019.4.14f1
    The Oculus plugin version is 20.1.0 released October 8th 2020

Other things to note are I have Vulkan set as the primary API in MultiView mode. I know it is experimental for the Quest 2 but I do want to squeeze every frame out of the SnapDragon chip. I have high ambitions to make a gourgeous looking scene for the Quest 2 only I am not interested in the Quest1. The player sits still and doesnt move around so I can bake a lot into the scene.

Some progress has been made with this so what might be best is if I let you know my findings over the last 24 hours.

I was able to get the thing running if I stripped out a lot of the models on scene loading and brought down the lighting settings. I have 1 main light and 4 point lights (flickering candles). For now I have set everything to be baked with no shadows. I brought it right back as though I was coding for a PS1.
    I took out all reflection probes.
    I set the Texture Quality to 8th Res.

On the Medium URP (Quest Android URP setting) I have the following settings

I see that with all GameObe=jects Active the vertex count is around the 200,000 mark. So I now start the scene with all gameobjects inactive and on a controller button press I add/ ctivate a game object one by one while watching the FPS and APP T numbers in the OVR Metrics Tool headset overlay. I can then see at what point the frame APP time tips over 13,000 milliseconds and the FPS drops below 72. It seems to be where the polycount is around 130,000 which to me looks more like a Quest 1 limit.
    https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/unity/unity-perf/?locale=en_US

I am now looking at things like texture atlasing and other optimisation tricks. I am also doing a crash course in the Unity Profiler.
    Would you know if there is something else I could look at with regards to stabilising my 200,000 vertex baked lighting scene?

Thanks again,

Lindsay.

4. Tanya_Li

Tanya_Li

Unity Technologies

I didn't see anything obvious from your setting screenshot. There could be several factors causing the issue, and unfortunately it's hard to investigate without a reproducible project. Could you please file a bug with the log file and simple repro project attached so the team can take a look? Thanks!
    https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.