Search Unity

Bug App "quit unexpectedly" - something to worry about?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by andreas_mavromm, Mar 9, 2023.

1. andreas_mavromm

andreas_mavromm

Hello, I am trying to build a very simple first-person exploration game ... the development has been going very smoothly so far. The project is *very* simple and small, and mainly consists of a player controller who walks into a trigger collider to load the next scene. I am using Unity Editor 2021.3.20f1 btw.

I built the game to test it out, which runs completely smoothly; I am able to walk around, load into the next level, and save into the player prefs system the name of the current scene. However, after quitting the app, I am usually treated to a scary "app has closed unexpectedly" message. I have attached a screenshot to this post with the error message.

I am a novice coder/game developer, so this Problem Report from Apple is confusing. Should I be worried if this error message is occurring only when I close the game? Once again, I am able to run the game with no issues - however, I am getting this message nearly every time I close out of the game, which is making me hesitant to continue development until I can figure it out. Is there an easier way to be able to decipher messages like the one in the screenshot so I can figure out the problem myself?

Any help/feedback would be awesome, thank you.

Attached Files:

2. karsten-heim

karsten-heim

Is this after you quit the unity application, or after you stop running your game in the editor?

3. andreas_mavromm

andreas_mavromm

Karsten,

Thank you for getting back to me. This happens after I quit the Unity application - there are no errors in the Editor, and the game itself runs smoothly and without any problems once it has been built, so there are no crashes that occur within the game.

I tried restarting my Mac, which helped out for about an hour. After restarting my Mac, I ran the game and quit out of it about 10 times without the "Problem Report" coming up after quitting. I just tried running the app again however and I get that same annoying message, once again only after quitting the application.

From what I can gather, this seems to be a Mac issue?

4. karsten-heim

karsten-heim

Yeah, it might be an issue with your mac, because mine just quits unity for no reason sometimes, so maybe macOS has some difficulties running unity, and in your case, only when closing it.

Unity might also be at fault though, as I am no expert with mac bug reports, but it says in yours that the exception type (which is "how the app terminated" according to apple) is "EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION," which probably just means that the app quit because of whatever your mac defines as a "bad instruction" sent to it by unity when trying to close the app.

Additionally, it also says that the "Termination signal" was "Illegal instruction: 4," which is more evidence unity might be sending a "bad instruction" to your mac.

Finally, under "Responsible" (i guess what is responsible for the bug/unexpected closure of the app), it says "buh_v5," which looks like it might be what you renamed the unity application, and therefore unity is probably what caused the crash.

So I can think of three things that may be happening:

1. Your mac simply cannot process a signal sent or instruction given to it that is only sent when closing unity
    2. Unity (or your version of it) somehow has a critical error whenever it goes through the process of closing itself that causes it to immediately stop working.
    3. Given that the "crashed thread" in your bug report is "CVDisplaylink" (https://developer.apple.com/documentation/corevideo/cvdisplaylink-k0k) which is responsible for displaying frames, you might want to see if that causes any problems with Unity.

my suggestion is either update unity (if you can) or switch versions of unity and see if that works, uninstall and reinstall unity (and/or unity hub), submit a bug report to unity, or get a new macbook (not recommended).

you can also try updating the software on your mac too.

Cheers:), -K

Last edited: Mar 9, 2023
  5. andreas_mavromm

andreas_mavromm

Karsten, thanks again for getting back to me.

I am trying to figure out what the different codes mean in the error report mean - but unfortunately I am unable to figure out what tangible actions to take in the Editor to alleviate these. I spoke with Apple Support and they recommended I update my macOS to the latest version, however this would require me to free up at least 30 GB of storage on my computer (extremely difficult at this point). Also, I just downloaded the latest version of Unity so there is no way for me to update it.

I had plans to buy a new Mac anyway so I am most likely going to run the latest version of Unity on that when I make the purchase. Just curious - why do you not recommend this?

Any other help would be greatly appreciated.

6. karsten-heim

karsten-heim

I was just joking that you shouldn't buy a 1000$+ computer to get unity to run, but if you are buying one anyways, that is probably the most effective solution out of what i proposed above.

7. RazvanSuciu

RazvanSuciu

I have the same issue, latest macOS version, intel CPU