Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

App has ghosting effects on VR

Discussion in '2018.3 Beta' started by GearVR, Nov 5, 2018.

1. GearVR

GearVR

Since updating to 2018.3.beta 8, my VR app sometimes have ghosting.

If I turn my head, ghosting effects happen for both eyes on the HMD.

This is not frame rate related, as the frames reported as still close to 90 fps. And this ghosting happens even with just displaying a sky box and with all post processing turned off.

This is VR only. As the app is mirrored on the desktop monitor, there are no ghosting effects.

Similar problems were reported before:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/image-doubling-ghosting-in-vr.518917/

This problem blocks me, as it makes the user dizzy for an otherwise optimized app. Please take a look?

2. mikerz1985

mikerz1985

Are you using any post processing effects, or anything that uses a previous frame for an effect?

Are you using SteamVR? Try to do no compensation at all by turning off asynchronous reprojection and etc -- what are your framerates then?

3. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

@GearVR it's almost impossible to help with that info, is it possible to share some simple repro project?

4. GearVR

GearVR

I turned off all post processing and it still happens. In fact, turning off all geometry and only leaving a skybox it still happens

The frame rate is 70 to 90.

This seems to be happening on Oculus only.

5. GearVR

GearVR

No project yet. I can confirm it doesn't happen so far on Vive or WinMR. Does Oculus do anything out of the ordinary?

This happens only after I switch a scene. Then there is a 50/50 chance the ghosting effect starts to happen, even for the same scene.

I know the frame rate tanks during scene switching. I wonder if Oculus kicks in some thing to compensate.

6. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

If you manage to create a reproducible, it would be great if you could submit a bug report for this issue.