Search Unity

App Fails to launch in PSM dev assistant.

Discussion in 'PSM' started by pjohalloranhome, Apr 30, 2014.

1. pjohalloranhome

pjohalloranhome

Hi,
    I have a problem from time to time. I can build and transfer my game with no problems to the Vita onto the dev assistant for unity. But sometimes the app just fails to launch either when clicking Build run in unity or by clicking on the game itself in the dev assistant. No errors are reported on the vita and nothing shows up in the PsmDeviceForUnity.exe logs either. Can anybody help?

A week ago, reinstalling the PSM dev assistant for Unity on the Vita got it back working but today even that doesnt work.

EDIT: I tried a blank new unity project with a very simple scene with a text mesh and built and tried to run that on the device but still has the same problem. The test app is copied onto the vita and seems okay but just fails to launch. Nothing in the PsmDeviceForUnity -get_log logs either.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  2. pjohalloranhome

pjohalloranhome

$unity_editor_psm_log.png

Here is a screen grab of my unity editor output for the build. Looks fine but app fails to launch. I guess its an issue with the dev assistant maybe?

3. PeterD

PeterD

I've had this a few time now when converting a windows phone app. It appears that having any windows phone stuff like dll's etc. in the app will cause it to fail when it goes to load them.

I finally had to remove the dlls and #if all of the offending code and now the game launches.

Anyhoo my problem was caused by platform specific code being triggered in the PSM build and causing the Vita to simply crash the app. Hope that helps you track your issue.

4. blackbird

blackbird

guys update your dev assistant on vita

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  5. PeterD

PeterD

??? Is there a new version available?

6. jesusluvsyooh

jesusluvsyooh

Yes was available this morning. Same as with normal apps, little yellow icon appears on dev assistance screen before you open it. If it doesn't, check wifi connection and click the refresh icon, should search for updates. :)

7. pjohalloranhome

pjohalloranhome

Hmm i thought that might be it so I tried with a very basic project with 1 scene and no plugins or custom mono behaviours with a simple scene with a Hello world text mesh and it still happened. Cheers for the help though.

I didn't realise there was a new version of the dev assistant, will try that out now and will report back guys, cheers.

8. pjohalloranhome

pjohalloranhome

Nope, still the same issue with the latest PSM dev assistant both with my game and a bare bones unity project.

9. GrahamReeves

GrahamReeves

Unity Technologies

Does it run without anything at all in the scene? (No text mesh), or say with a quad/plane/cube instead of a text mesh? (Just to work out if it's your device or something odd in your scene, or something to do with fonts etc)

10. pjohalloranhome

pjohalloranhome

Hi,
    I just tried a new project with no text meshes in the scene with the same result. The app installs onto the dev assistant but fails to launch automatically from unity or by manually clicking on it.

See attached screenshot for build output and -get_log output.
    $test2.png

11. GrahamReeves

GrahamReeves

Unity Technologies

Is this a "development build"?

If it's not, can you tick that option in the build settings? It provides a bit more debug information to the get_log output which could help diagnose the problem.

12. pjohalloranhome

pjohalloranhome

Have tried both development build and not, but will grab a screenshot for you in a few hours with it ticked on when i get home from work.

13. PeterD

PeterD

Can you check a few things. First off that the vita has a wifi connection that is active. Secondly select the option to regenerate the publisher key when doing the build and run.

14. pjohalloranhome

pjohalloranhome

Sure will check both things (I have tried the regenerate keys option before doing a build and run but will try again). Will post back in a few hours.

15. pjohalloranhome

pjohalloranhome

So tried to build again. Please see screenshots of results. Same result, app installs onto Vita seemingly okay but it fails to run and there is no indication why.

1 Regenerating keys:
    $a.png

2 Build Run with Development mode on:
    $b.png

3 Output in Unity Editor and PsmUtility (doesnt seem to be any output in PsmUtility get_log?):
    $c.png

4 App on Vita
    $2014-05-07-202453.jpg $2014-05-07-202453.jpg $2014-05-07-202453.jpg

I checked my Wifi on my Vita and Windows PC. I can browse the web okay on my windows PC and can browse the Vita PS store so thats probably not the issue?

Any ideas?

Edit: Is it okay to have the Vita Content Assistant installed on the dev machine? Would it interfere with the build process maybe? I assume its okay.

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  16. jesusluvsyooh

jesusluvsyooh

On the girlfriends laptop i had to fully exit content managed (tiny task bar icon) then in task manager too to make sure it was gone, then it worked. No need to uninstall it, but try making sure its fully closed on the PC.

17. pjohalloranhome

pjohalloranhome

Okay, so I tried again after closing down the Vita Content Manager (cma.exe) and ensuring it isnot running in the task manager it still doesn't work. This is one sucky issue. Maybe I should just uninstall unity and related unity PSM files and install again? Or do you guys have a better idea? Cheers.

18. pjohalloranhome

pjohalloranhome

Some extra info, here is my Editor.log file. I can't see anything wrong here:

The only thing i can think of is that possibly my UnityForPsm tools might, possibly be the wrong version (is 1.0.0.3 the right version?). But there is nothing standing out in that editor log to me.

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  19. PeterD

PeterD

I immediately see this:-

Built from '' repo; Version is '4.3.3f1 (2a5b530785bb) revision 104680'; Using compiler version '160040219'
    BatchMode: 0, IsHumanControllingUs: 1, StartBugReporterOnCrash: 1, shouldGiveDebuggerChanceToAttach

Initialize engine version: 4.3.3f1 (2a5b530785bb)

Unity for PSM is 4.3.4f1 and not 4.3.3 so those values shouldn't be possible.

Where did you get your version of unity for psm from?

20. pjohalloranhome

pjohalloranhome

That might be it, I was in the psm private beta and i must have mistakenly installed the wrong unity version.

21. pjohalloranhome

pjohalloranhome

That was it, wrong version of unity. Thanks for help everyone.