Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

App Clips on iOS

Discussion in 'Project Tiny' started by Grind, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Grind

Grind

I'm just reading up on Project Tiny and DOTS and have no experience of using any of it, other than build and run the Tiny sample projects.

Our use case is this (and we're probably not alone on this); We have a (standard) Unity mobile app/game that we want to extend with an App Clip on iOS.

The Project Tiny overview and roadmap, and other info that I've seen, mentions the use case of taking a "slice" of a game and making it available as a playable ad or as an instant app on Android. I don't know how instant apps are set up, but I guess that a playable ad would be a separate output from Unity. For iOS, an App Clip is an extension of an app, it doesn't exist by itself and must therefore be output along with the full app (unless it can be built as a library and imported to the Xcode project as part of the App Clip extension.

So, the general question; Is the use case of iOS App Clips part of the Project Tiny roadmap?

And the follow-up question; Would Project Tiny co-exist with a "standard" Unity project, eg. being a separate scene or set of scenes, or would it force itself on the full project and require a full conversion?

2. JC-Cimetiere

JC-Cimetiere

Unity Technologies

Hello,
    The App Clip scenario fits the goals of Project Tiny. We have experimented internally using Project Tiny for App Clip and the main application is generated using Unity "classic". So yes ultimately Project Tiny would co-exist with a "standard" Unity project.

There's quite a bit of manual work to "patch" the Xcode project and add the Tiny project content as an App Clip, but it's possible. We haven't documented this yet, because in order to fully support App Clip and pass store certification we would need to expose some APIs like support “Install Full App” functionality (https://developer.apple.com/documen...an_app_clip_s_corresponding_app?language=objc) and support sharing data between App Clip and main application (https://developer.apple.com/documen...he_app_clip_s_corresponding_app?language=objc)

Although we have this in the backlog, we haven't prioritized yet when we can complete the implementation.
    I hope this help ;-)
    JC

3. Grind

Grind

Ok, thanks for the response JC.

It didn't help in getting forward, but it's great to know that you've done some initial experiments and have it in the backlog.

/Tomas

4. Grind

Grind

Out of curiosity and eagerness, any updates regarding the App Clips scenario for Project Tiny?

/Tomas

Ayoub_Gharbi and twinklapps like this.
  5. timmy2get

timmy2get

Hey there, it's soon gonna be a year since you guys experimented internally... any updates on it?

6. EmilieCollard191

EmilieCollard191

Did anyone successfully ported a unity xcode project to app clip?

CrandellWS likes this.
  7. herra_lehtiniemi

herra_lehtiniemi

@JC-Cimetiere Hi! :) I found this thread and was wondering if there was any progress in App Clips within Unityi or some documentation to get started with? I’m also really interested in how to do this with Unity.

DerrickBarra likes this.
  8. thornebrandt

thornebrandt

Any updates on using App Clips with Tiny?

CrandellWS likes this.
  9. CrandellWS

CrandellWS

inquiring minds want to know please and I hope there are updates here?

10. CrandellWS

CrandellWS

this person according to profile is

"No longer at Unity"