Search Unity

Apocalyptic Car Racing Combat

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by cgoran, Feb 10, 2006.

1. cgoran

cgoran

Hello everyone,

(can anything really be post-apocalyptic?)

Here are some screens from a little Unity project I'm working on. Just thought I would share.

I sure am having fun! What a great application.

Cheers,
    Cgoran

2. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

Looks great, would love to give it a spin some time. Jeff

3. pete

pete

nice fx! lookin cool...

4. jeremyace

jeremyace

Very nice work. I like the lighting, very moody.

-Jeremy

5. Sync1B

Sync1B

How did you do the head light glow?! I want that :p looking good!

6. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

Lens Flares. The small secondary rings are a dead giveaway

7. Sync1B

Sync1B

O du.. didnt even notice the other rings.

8. cgoran

cgoran

Thanks for the encouragement. Yes, I think the lens flares add allot to the scene. I have them on the rockets and explosions as well. And it's cool to see the AI car's headlights flare up when he's head right at you :)

9. cgoran

cgoran

Some pyro shots. The bump mapping is in the house also.

Cheers,
    cgoran

10. Sync1B

Sync1B

Looks really cool, one thing that bugs me is that the brake lights dont seem to give off light but are just as bright as the the head lights. How ever a lot of things bug me, thats no big deal. I like the effects!

Bill

11. socksy

socksy

Very nice effects.

Red lights are known for not being able to light up an area. Why do you think they're used in dark rooms? Any other coloured light would be picked up by the photographic paper.

12. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

I all has to do with the frequency of the light. Red is a very low frequency light I think (infrared comes below it). Got to love physics :) fascinating stuff.

13. jeremyace

jeremyace

That's also why the military uses red lights at night for map reading, etc. It doesn't screw with the adjustment your eyes have made to the lack of light, aka natural night vision. Those lights are still very visible, but they don't light up much.

-Jeremy

14. tsphillips

tsphillips

Actually, red light is just as bright as any other light and can be noticed just as well as any other light. (I'm talking human physiology here.) The reason it is used by the military is because it does not "reset" the eye's night vision state. It can take about 30 minutes for the human eye to adjust to dark conditions. It is the rods that allow us to see in dark conditions, and the rods cannot discriminate color. Additionally, rods cannot "see" red light. So, using a red light in dark conditions means the eye's night vision capability (using the rods) is not disturbed.

A practical example -- someone is sneaking around in the woods at night. They think they might be lost, so they pull out a map and a flashlight. If the flashlight was a normal whitish light, then once they turned off the light they would have to wait about 30 minutes to resume their sneaking. Using a red light, however, they can immediately continue through the woods after they turn off the light.

How does this play into graphics cards? I have no idea. :p I tend to think that "red" pixels work just like any other pixels. Since light sources in games do not behave like real light sources, it's a game designer's choice as to whether something like a torch or taillights will actually cast a colored glow onto the environment.

15. cgoran

cgoran

16. Sync1B

Sync1B

wow, it was just a personal opinion.... :eek:

Bill

17. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

That looks great! nice game concept excellent graphics :)

I wish I could make stuff look that good

18. Danni

Danni

Wow, This looks really cool!!
    Cool concept. Keep us updated!

Perhaps watch the "scale" of the textures, the ground and wall struck my mind..

Awesome work so far!