Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

"Apocalypse Not" Alpha Release 0.0.16

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by TheDavil86, Jul 23, 2012.

1. TheDavil86

TheDavil86

I've finally got enough done that I thought an Alpha release was warranted. I've been doing a video dev journal on YouTube which is also linked below and it shows what the game is like and there is another video that explains the goals for the game. I'll give a brief overview here though.

Essentially you start in a small town in a post zombie apocalypse. Your goal is to retake the town and recruit all the survivors. The town is basically a 5x5 grid (larger grids planned for later versions). Each grid space contains a building type such as houses, farms, police station, grocery stores, etc... Each area can also be captured or "fortified" which will grant you the ability to do certain things. For example houses provide shelter so you can recruit more survivors, getting the power plant will activate the power grid, and so on. There is a smooth day/night system that adds a touch of realism. I have a lot of plans for this game and I need as much support as possible so if you like it give me a like and subscribe on YouTube and tell your friends. :D

YouTube Dev Journal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1g7I34SDPE

Download Link: AN0016.zip

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  2. Meltdown

Meltdown

Please follow the WIP rules and post screenshots and preferably a web player. Most people aren't going to just download .zip files.

3. diddykonga

diddykonga

Well there might be a reason he doesn't want to use a webplayer, but I feel as long as he provides a virus scan for the zip he should be fine.
    Plus he has a video, so not much need for screenshots (especially at this stage of development XD)

4. TheDavil86

TheDavil86

Yep it's pretty unpolished

5. impheris

impheris

I prefer to download, so you can play better...

6. TheDavil86

TheDavil86

Anyone have any thoughts on what I should work on next?

7. TheDavil86

TheDavil86

I've come up with a new render for the police station layout, any thoughts? I think this one is a lot less complicated than the previous one. And the back side has a workout yard which will actually be chain link fence.

8. Chris3Design

Chris3Design

Looks like a nice place to explore when it's all done :3

Maybe a basement level as well? Like a damp filty basement where bad things happened or something :p A place that tells a story.
    Also from the lobby? part I'd add one or two more floors.

I hope my crappy picture will show what I mean :p

9. TheDavil86

TheDavil86

I appreciate the feedback. I actually intend to keep it as a single floor. The original model I made was based off of an actual police floor plan and it was too complicated. Also the game isn't really trying to tell a story. It's the type of game where you create the story based on what you do. For example when you clear out the police station you might be saying to yourself "Today we cleared out the police station and found some weapons in the armory, found a lot of zombies too."

I also want to keep the layout simple to keep render times low.

10. TheDavil86

TheDavil86

So I put up a small website attached to one of my other websites to use as an information center for updates and news about the game. I'll still be posting here though as well.

11. TheDavil86

TheDavil86

So Alpha Version 0.0.17 is now up a little later than I wanted cause I had to haul around a washer and dryer today.

The full list of changes and additions is on the website Here along with the download link.

You can also check the developer journal showing the new features in this video:

12. TheDavil86

TheDavil86

I've got 2 updated images of the Police Station which I'm hoping to have done and in the game on Sunday.

13. SevenBits

SevenBits

Noticed you're using Sketchip. Anything I can say to convince you that that is a really, really horrible idea?

14. TheDavil86

TheDavil86

I actually have no idea what that is or why you'd assume I'm using it. You actually came off pretty rude as well. I actually use blender for modelling and gimp or photoshop for my textures.

15. SevenBits

SevenBits

I wasn't being rude. I am fairly certain you are using Sketchup because of the way the models look. They are blocky and appear to have bad topology. Secondly, I believe those textures are from Sketchup.

If you're using Blender, please, post a screenshot of your model in Blender. The reason you shouldn't use Sketchup is because Sketchup models contain extremely bad topology, and are not exported in the way that regular industry models are.

16. Chris3Design

Chris3Design

How can you see the topology man, there's not even wireframes posted here

17. TheDavil86

TheDavil86

Yes you are being rude actually because you insist I'm using something that I'm not, then you think that I somehow am required to prove it to you.

Furthermore it's a building, I don't know where you live but near me 99% of buildings have sharp 90 or 45 degree angles.

I know you don't know what 'topology' means because you can't possibly see where the vertices and edges are, which is what topology is...

18. TheDavil86

TheDavil86

Here it is from the front with a bit more detail added in. The roof has an overhang now and doors have frames. Was going for a stucco look with the texture. I also scaled up the brick texture so that the parallax shading would show a bit better.

19. TheDavil86

TheDavil86

Here is the current style of map I'm using, just comes up when you have the map key held down and it will also display your RTS stats (e.g. Housing, Food, etc..)

I'm thinking about maybe zooming it in so that you don't see the entire area and maybe blacking out the rest of the screen.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  20. Paradigm-SW

Paradigm-SW

I really like the idea, will keep an eye on this :)

21. TheDavil86

TheDavil86

Thanks for the support

22. TheDavil86

TheDavil86

Here's 2 more shots of the the exterior with almost all of the details added in.

23. TheDavil86

TheDavil86

Here is the newest dev journal.

24. SevenBits

SevenBits

Alright, I'll drop the subject. Upon further examination I have determined I was faulted in my accusations.

25. TheDavil86

TheDavil86

It's fine I don't hold grudges. I appreciate criticism, but I don't like being called a liar.

26. TheDavil86

TheDavil86

Alright so the webplayer version is up which will make a lot of you happy and actually interested in trying it out. Keep in mind a lot of things don't work like they're supposed to due to the webplayer. One example is the flashlight, press f and you'll see what I mean. I also didn't mention on the controls page that ctrl crouches and z goes prone. When you're crouched and prone you are less noticeable to the zombies.

Apocalypse Not v0.0.179

Give it a try if you haven't already and let me know what you all think.

27. TheDavil86

TheDavil86

Here is the newest video showing off version 0.0.18

28. TheDavil86

TheDavil86

New render of the current katana minus the reflective effects.

29. JoshSavage

JoshSavage

You should add a flash light

30. TheDavil86

TheDavil86

There is a flashlight

31. TheDavil86

TheDavil86

New video showing updated and added weapons.

32. TheDavil86

TheDavil86

The rifle now has some animations and there are health and ammo pick ups as well.

33. TheDavil86

TheDavil86

New webplayer version is up here for webplayer wednesdays.