Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

APM Music Store license details?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Ony, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Ony

Ony

Is there somewhere to get the actual legal breakdown for each license type in the new APM Music store? The cart is pretty vague and I don't see anywhere to get more info on the legal TOS for each license type. On the APM site they just have a contact address and no actual legal info.

The two license types are: "Product use all platforms (excludes consoles)" and "Web-only game trailer use". I could of course take those at face value, and perhaps we're meant to, but some clarification would be nice.

If I purchase a license for "All Platforms", that means I can use it my my game on any platform (except consoles), but if I want to also use it in a trailer online then I need to also purchase the "web-only game trailer" license. Is that the basic gist of it? That seems to be the way it works but without any further info (legalese), I'd be slightly uncomfortable using a song in a production. For instance, if someone records a video of my game intro (with music in it) and uses it in a user-made "trailer" where that music is heard, then I would want to make sure I'm covered for that.

And... with all of that said, I hope people don't forget about the awesome music already available in the regular part of the Asset Store. I just bought some about 30 minutes ago and it's perfect for what I need. :) I do love some of the "trailer-ish" stuff in the APM store, though. Exciting!

2. Korno

Korno

Click on one of the licenses, it will take you to a break down on the next page. They are really harsh licenses,

While the quality is good, you can only use it in one game.

I do wonder though if unity just killed off asset store music creators?

3. Ony

Ony

Ah, ok, awesome, yeah I didn't actually click the "money" link because I thought that would add it to my cart, but that's the way to get to the licenses. A little awkward, but ok.

With larger music organizations like this, it's no surprise the license is for one game only. That's pretty much standard. And the license actually answered my question about trailers made from the game. A separate trailer license is indeed required if it's basically a "trailer", unless the footage is jut footage from the game, like gameplay, etc. but not in "trailer" form. Makes sense.

I wondered myself if Unity killed the store for music creators, but then thinking about it if someone is interested in good music at a lower price (sometimes) and with less restrictions then the regular Asset Store music section is perfect. Like I say, I bought something yesterday from the regular music store section. Hopefully the two can exist hand in hand.

I think the new APM store is awesome and has some really nice, high quality selections. I'm glad to see it being integrated. Although I hope they please, please add in a "wishlist" button for songs, because it's too difficult right now to save the ones we like for later. Bookmarks of the song pages don't work so well. It's pretty awkward.

4. bosone

bosone

i definitely hope that my music will continue to sell in the store!
    i had a look at the new APM store... my opinion is that
    quality is high - but also in the asset store there are really awesome music asset with really high quality.
    price is high! much higher than the standard music asset
    license is very different!! asset store license seem more "indie friendly"

so, i really think and hope that there will still be room for us...
    but i must confess that, looking at the APM prices, i'm tempted to raise my prices on the asset store.
    my music seems ridiculously cheaper now! :)

what about this?
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#!/content/18877
    there is awesome stuff also outside the APM store! (non only mine...) :D

Ony likes this.
  5. hopeful

hopeful

I still like the asset store music.

Ony likes this.