Search Unity

apk size of empty scene is 20Mb, after installation on phone its 62Mb

Discussion in 'Android' started by Moshe_k, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Moshe_k

Moshe_k

tried to reinstall unity and reset settings, when I build a game from a completely empty project, empty scene, i get an apk of 20 Mb, after installation on phone the app takes 62Mb.
    I checked the editor log but couldn't figure out anything meaningful out of it.

I Will be so thankful for even a hint as to why this is happening..

2. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

that is because generally, APKs are compressed a bit. That's why Pokemon GO comes out at 100MB+ but the download is only 40.

Plus, if you're caching a little bit of stuff, that adds to it as well.

3. Moshe_k

Moshe_k

Thank you Fuzzy, appreciate it!
    Its just that wile searching for a fix to this problem (which might not be a problem like you said) i saw people that have apk's 10 Mb big and installed they are 20 Mb.

This happens for an EMPTY project, no game object nor scripts.. ):
    Am i too big or is this size normal ?

4. lloydg

lloydg

You get about half that size if you only compile for ARM or x86, by default it does both into a single binary / apk

5. Moshe_k

Moshe_k

Still getting 52 Mb for an empty project, no objects and no scripts when building in ARM only.
    is this an exotic problem? not a common one?

6. lloydg

lloydg

so it just dropped 10 mb? thats about all you will save when going to ARM only. although 52mb is to big, I have a small puzzle game, only takes 32mb on the phone after installed.

7. Moshe_k

Moshe_k

yeah i think i f'ed something while copying projects or messing with something. ill try a different machine.. thanks for the 32Mb reference

8. mostafaibrahim

mostafaibrahim

i am really sad i make an empty 2D project with unity , just empty scene and the apk size is 20 MB
    i need a fix please

9. ramd990

ramd990

You Can optimise to 11 Mb ,By setting the device filter Go to PlayerSettings Change Device filter to ARMV7
    Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 12.03.20 PM.png
    This can fix for u

10. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

When installing an APK, the PackageManager extracts native libraries from it and installs them to a specific location. This ends up with "on phone" size being larger than the APK size. The difference should remain constant so it's not that critical for a non-empty app.

Alternative is to use extractNativeLibraries=false flag: https://developer.android.com/topic/performance/reduce-apk-size.html#reduce-code, section "Avoid extracting native libraries". However your APK size is going to be significantly larger; if that's acceptable, you are going to have "on phone" size very close to the APK size.

11. Netuddmeg

Netuddmeg

12. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

13. sledgeman

sledgeman

I can say: with U4.7 i get i file size about= 7,27mb APK !!! pretty great !!!
    Again with U5.6 and with REALLY optimal player settings, i get = 10,0mb APK :(. And i guess with U2017 & U2018 it gets more worst ! :(. Don´t know why Unity is making it more bad.

Conclusion: old Unity 4.7 is much better in filesize and also in performance !

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  14. hari2015

hari2015

I got 8.30mb on U4.7 ... How you got 7.27mb

On U5.5 I got 9.5mb

15. sledgeman

sledgeman

For the test, an empty scene. Than turning everything off, that is not needed. Like, Gi-baking, etc. I use Net Sub-set which results in a smaller size, in comparison to the normal net.