Search Unity

APK file size more than 50MB, is that a problem nowadays?

Discussion in 'Android' started by herbie, May 20, 2014.

1. herbie

herbie

My Android game is almost ready. The apk file size is about 54MB.
    This large file size is caused by some large textures. These textures are large because sometimes some gameobjects will be zoomed in very far. To keep the background image sharp when the gameobject is zoomed in, you need a large texture.
    Maybe I can reduce the file size a little but should I worry about this file size nowadays or is it no problem anymore?

By the way, I can play the game without problems on my HTC one and Galaxy note 10.1.

2. DalerHakimov

DalerHakimov

It's NOT a problem for the game itself. There are games with almost 1 gb of graphics and etc..

But it's a problem for Google Play. You can't upload an apk which is more then 50mb.. Read more about what you can do without cutting your textures and other things here ->>http://developer.android.com/google/play/expansion-files.html

3. herbie

herbie

Ok, thanks.
    I thought that maybe this filesize would be a problem for the Android device, but it's not.
    I will try to reduce the size of some textures.

4. Exsight

Exsight

5. salvador007

salvador007

Herbie,

You can reduce your build size by decreasing texture size and sound files bit rate. As your build size is
    54mb you just need to decrease it by 4-5 Mbs so you can try decreasing quality of textures those your game can afford.

In future if your game size increases more than 60-70 Mbs that you can't reduce to 50 Mbs or if you can't afford decreasing textures and sound quality you can just check "Split Application Binary" option (as suggested by Exsight ) while building apk. You will get an .obb file as an expansion file which you will have to upload separately to play store with your apk.