Search Unity

Bug API Updater not running on windows Unity 2019+ (installed path contains spaces)

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by rhodnius, Sep 17, 2020.

1. rhodnius

rhodnius

Have been a while now since this bug was introduced to Unity 2019+ versions (even 2020 has it).

This bug prevents the API Updater to run at all if the Unity install path contains any white/blank spaces in it. It is really frustrating for me as a Publisher having to deal almost everyday with customers complaining about errors they have when ever they import the asset from the asset store because something that should be working from Unity itself is not working at all in those cases.

@AdrianoVerona_Unity have some insights about this issue, which definitely was introduced somehow after Unity 2018 which just works fine, I have now made uploaded a 2018.4 version of the asset (which i just uploaded exactly the same but with the API updater already ran) to avoid this issue, but if this bug is not fixed, when ever something changes on a new version of Unity, this would hit again more people and they would be blaming our assets for the errors and not Unity itself which is not fair at all.

EDIT: here is a link where it's told that the fix have been made, but still is present on all 2019+ and 2020 Unity versions:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/exc...ttings-get_enabled.518868/page-3#post-4592518

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    GilberM likes this.
  2. AdrianoVerona_Unity

AdrianoVerona_Unity

Unity Technologies

the bug that caused AssemblyUpdater to not run when Unity was installed in a path containing spaces should indeed have been fixed. I even have a test (but only on Windows) so it may be the case that for some reason we have different behavior in other OSs

I'll double check on Windows/MacOs/Linux.

[Update] just tested on Linux and the issue with spaces has indeed been fixed.
    Maybe there's some other bug or the test in place is not running the same code paths.

can you create a project in which this issue reproduces and share with me along with detailed instructions on how to reproduce?

Adriano

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  3. rhodnius

rhodnius

I would double check it on a windows system, currently I'm at Linux (which I don't have seen this behavior) but i have been reported by users that are having the issue.

4. AdrianoVerona_Unity

AdrianoVerona_Unity

Unity Technologies

that would be odd but I'll check tomorrow.

5. rhodnius

rhodnius

Thanks! and I do appreciate the follow up!

6. rhodnius

rhodnius

I just tested with 2019.4.8f1 using a project already opened on Unity 5.6, it ended importing all and no compile errors found at the end, didn't saw the API Updater Dialog as usually, but got the Asset Database Updater dialog, so seems that it actually did the API Update. this was having the Unity installs in a folder like c:\unity installs\, would test on the default one at Program Files and see if that would make any difference.

Is possible that those users that have reported to me the compile errors, had a non fixed version installed too, but then what happened with 2020? what I did was open up a repo set by a customer at Github and immediately after I opened it and it finished doing the first import it triggered on my computer the API Updater, which means to me that on his side he didn't got the API Updater ran at all, since it would have been triggered too there when ever he imported my asset, right?

:eek: weird

7. AdrianoVerona_Unity

AdrianoVerona_Unity

Unity Technologies

Your customer reported the error that you believe to be related to the installation path with spaces? I am pretty sure the fix is included in 20.1 so it is hard to say what is going on without more information.

The user may simply have declined to run ApiUpdater.

As a side note, I have double-checked and the tests are running and passing (on Windows).

That being said we may still have some bug. Can you reproduce this issue?

8. rhodnius

rhodnius

the only screenshot that I have from the user is this one using Unity 2019.4.6f1 and i was able to tell the API Updater didn't ran since there are warnings for LineRenderer and SceneManager.LoadScene, still is weird to be that there are errors non related to the API Updater, which also tells me that the user could be doing something wrong :confused:

image_6487327.JPG

This could be true too, a lot of times users just don't read what is on the dialog :eek:

Thanks! I have tried to reproduce it on 2019.4.8 and all was good, so not sure what else could be, maybe was when they just import the asset right on 2019/2020? I would try like this today and see the results, if the API Updater dialog does shows up, then we could conclude that some users just deny the API Update i think :confused:

Thanks for taking the time to look at this, really appreciate it

9. AdrianoVerona_Unity

AdrianoVerona_Unity

Unity Technologies

Can you try that or give me instructions on how to do it? Is it enough to import this https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/templates/systems/irds-intelligent-race-driver-system-7294 ?

Best

Adriano