Search Unity

Aovesen - Vanguard - WIP Contest Entry

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by 3dviewpoint, Mar 25, 2012.

1. 3dviewpoint

3dviewpoint

I'll join in the fun, will work on a Vanguard super soldier. Posting updates as soon as I get something done.

2. 3dviewpoint

3dviewpoint

I'm gonna run with a concept that draws inspiration from Space Marines and Terminators (what a combo! hehe), with my own personal twist of course. I'm planning to make heluim3 the power source that runs the weapons and the armor. 40.0000 million terawatt fusion core in a backpack sitting on the back of a bad boy soldier is what I envision. We will see where it takes me. Good luck to all in the competiton

3. skylebones

skylebones

Awesome! It will be cool to see a Vanguard entry.

4. 3dviewpoint

3dviewpoint

Did a bit of the concepting in Zbrush today. Pulled one of my male anatomy meshes into Zbrush and used some extract and dynamesh to block out some fast parts :

Also did a bit of duddles in Photoshop to conceptualize some of my cyborg ideas:

Gonna try and get some of the subtools retopoed and exported so I can start a basemesh in Max. Hopefully more progress by tomorrow.

5. thellama

thellama

Nice stuff dude and fast progress too. I'm very excited to watch this one. Nice to have a rival for all the other unity boards pirates to fight :D

6. 3dviewpoint

3dviewpoint

Been working on a basemesh in Max, here is the first update:

7. 3dviewpoint

3dviewpoint

further progress on the basemesh

Next up UVs.. my alltime arch-nemesis... but hey its got to be done so I can split mesh up in Zbrush for more resolution in the detail sculpting and texturing. Wish me luck

8. aixaix

aixaix

OMG, This is just amazing! love the style!

9. thellama

thellama

Fast progress, but I feel like his weakness would be lifting his arms above where they are now.

10. 3dviewpoint

3dviewpoint

@ aixaix: Thanks mate, when I get into detailing I hope you can give some feedback along with the rest of the cool peeps frequenting this forum.

@ TheLlama: I agree, I'll look into those shoulders again, maybe give them more a arch so the arm can move more up. Thanks for advise, appriciate all the feedback I can get.

And a update on the UVs:

11. 3dviewpoint

3dviewpoint

I adjusted the shoulders a bit, should help on the movement. I hope its better.

Next up the real fun, details, sculpting, texturing.

12. 3dviewpoint

3dviewpoint

Last update before bed. Some detailing on the leg

13. 3dviewpoint

3dviewpoint

a bit more detail + texturing. blue lights, Helium3 power. critique is most welcome.

14. 3dviewpoint

3dviewpoint

Tested the Diff and NM map in Max to see if things behave. Next I will move the detail and texturing up the torso area.

15. 3dviewpoint

3dviewpoint

Moving the details slowly opwards. Will try to get torso done today, my set goal :) Crits are most welcome

16. 3dviewpoint

3dviewpoint

Torso detail sculpted, maps exported and added in max.

17. SevenBits

SevenBits

Looking good.

18. 3dviewpoint

3dviewpoint

@SevenBits: thanks :) Today I managed to add head details and texture. Rendered with other shader this time. Next up the arms.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  19. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Looking really good... one critisim would be that the arms look like they should be bigger... in diameter, not length.

reminds me a lot of the warhammer guys

20. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

Wow that is an insane amount of detail, Im inspired!

21. 3dviewpoint

3dviewpoint

@jlcnz: thanks, I will have a look at those arms. I think the basemesh model is pretty accurate in the measures, but it might be because of the T-pose, if arms would be down and bent they would be bigger in diameter. Seen from top down they are wider. I will see what happens when I start posing. Thanks for the insight :)

@tictox: I get carried away sometimes in Zbrush hehe such a wonderful tool. Cheers

22. henry96

henry96

I was wondering one little tiny thing. What contest is this?

23. 3dviewpoint

3dviewpoint

24. henry96

henry96

Oh! I see!!! Good Luck!!! Your model is great. You did it in a week. It might take me a month or 2 to do something like that (and not as good as yours).

Can you tell me how you UV map all your weapon in one texture? I can't bring them together. If I combine them, then UV. It worked. But I can't move them individually. Thx in advance

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  25. 3dviewpoint

3dviewpoint

What I normally do is to unwrap each item (edit poly/unwrap modifier). When each item has uvs I can then attach each item together in one object (edit poly level) After they are all attached I can then add a new Unwrap and arrange all the uvs from each item into the 1 map. After the Uv-map is complete you can always go in edit poly mode and select the element you want to move. You could also detach elements again and they will keep the uv-coords in the map. I hope this helps otherwise just ask :) Regards Anders

26. 3dviewpoint

3dviewpoint

And the last update of today. Some work on the right arm.

27. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

yeah looking over your iterations again, it does look like everything had the correct size. Maybe it was just because of the large shoulder pads or something the arms looked too small, or maybe its because every other part of his body is covered in heavy armor.. nice job anyway. 100x better than I could do!

28. FusionGames

FusionGames

Wow...that is a LOT of detail right there...cool design; I like the antler-things coming up behind his neck. Can't wait to see it finished! :D

29. 3dviewpoint

3dviewpoint

@jlcnz: I think it will look different when I start posing the guy, should show the arms a bit better. thanks for the feedback its greatly appriciated.

@FusionGames: thanks mate, I just finished the antler detail :)

To celebrate that the thread is back up running after a Database error: here is a update on the detail passes

30. FusionGames

FusionGames

Hooray for Unity tech support! Finally, I can look at my own post again :D

31. Priske415

Priske415

I hope your not calling a couple blue lines a texture, metal has a lot more color then that.

32. 3dviewpoint

3dviewpoint

Hey Priske415, these are just normal map detail passes mate, I havent even started on the diff/spec texture work yet, just did some fast polypaint to help me in Photoshop thats about it. So hopefully I can call it a texture later heh :)

33. 3dviewpoint

3dviewpoint

Update time, some detail work on the cyborg left arm.

34. 3dviewpoint

3dviewpoint

Having done the body detail pass I started on the texture map to try and get some feedback on my overall ideas on the texture parts. This is still very much work in progress, but would like some input on it.

Still got loads of texuring details to do, dirt splashes, metal scratches and so forth. This is without a spec map by the way. List of things to do is loong still

35. Origin

Origin

EDIT: nevermind, I found it.....

36. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

hi 3dvp

What about making the chest plate graphic ( skull with wings ) the silver color as well , or some lighter shade ? anyway that's my input for now. looking forward to more progress.

37. 3dviewpoint

3dviewpoint

@Tictoc: I think I will try that out yeah, thanks.

38. Cdunn

Cdunn

Wow looking nice. Im starting character modeling just today, but 3ds max is sooo hard to use...especially because the video I bought was from the 05 or 06 version and not 2012 :( .....What program do you use? Zbrush?

39. 3dviewpoint

3dviewpoint

@Cdunn: I use a combination of 3dmax and Zbrush yes, plus photoshop for texturing. Back in the day at uni I learned to do box modelling in 3dmax so I like to do alot of my basemesh work in there, but I must say more and more of my work has been done in Zbrush. Dynamesh and mesh extraction is just super great and retopology allows alot of artistic freedom. I'd say alot of the same ideas apply from 05-06 to 2012, there are alot of great tutorials inside 3dmax you can learn from by the way. Good luck with the modelling, I hope you will port some work we can see. Regards Anders

40. 3dviewpoint

3dviewpoint

A grey/silver chest skull version before I go to bed. For comparison.

41. goat

goat

It looks like he is wearing pillows and stole Justin Bieber's mic! I The enemy will want to fall asleep in his lap.

And the chaingun, artificial arm, and bone-knife look primitive in comparison.

LOL, I bet it took eons for his grandma to crochet them laces.

Look at the lines and form and function on futuristic automobile designs and make it sleeker because you know how to model.

42. 3dviewpoint

3dviewpoint

small update

43. 3dviewpoint

3dviewpoint

Did a bit more work on the body texture plus a bit on items. Played about with a spec map too.

44. Origin

Origin

I think there might be to much small detail on the lower half, sort of comes across as noisey. Some color variation in your textures might help as well, looking rather monochrome at the moment.

And bigger renders would help. :)

45. Chambers

Chambers

I agree with Origin about the monochrome comment I think that some variation would be good in the texture, I also think that the arms could be bulkier at the minute they seem tiny in comparison to the rest of his body. Looks great though, keep it up.

46. 3dviewpoint

3dviewpoint

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll put alot more work into the textures, I'll try to get some more color in there :) About the arms, I think its because of the T-pose that they come off as being kinda tiny, when posed I think it will look alot more bulkier. I will have a look at the normal map again and reduce the detail level on the lower parts, friend of mine suggested the same so. Cheers guys

47. 3dviewpoint

3dviewpoint

So I added a dirt layer I can turn intensity up and down on, and a bigger render of the current texture.

48. Tim_Reptile

Tim_Reptile

You really went mad on the details, not in a positive way though. Try to block the shapes out first which need those details, your current details don't have any function in the suit if you know what I mean. If you zoom out your image you will see the characters turns into a blobby brown mud monster. Try to find some good reference on this kind of suits, I think some reference from the suits in gears of war can help a lot or maybe check some mecha parts for good shapes.

It might be too late in this phase to alter the silhouet/shape of the character but keep this in mind for your next creation :)

Good luck!

49. 3dviewpoint

3dviewpoint

Responding to popular demands I redesigned the lower leg part. Here is the updated version.

50. 3dviewpoint

3dviewpoint

So my old laptop finally gave up after many years good fight. I had to buy myself a new and install everything and recover files. But now I got a new machine to work on and here is a update.