Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Anyway way for keyframe record button to capture current state instead of resetting it?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by dgoyette, Jul 11, 2020.

1. dgoyette

dgoyette

Something I do a bit too often, which is frustrating, is adjust some game object's properties while building an animation, only to realize a couple of minutes later that I didn't remember to press the "Record" button first. Upon pressing Record, everything will snap back to whatever positions the animation clip thinks they should be at, undoing the changes I've made.

It would be really nice if, somehow, pressing record gave the option to preserve those changes and generate a key from them, instead of resetting things. I don't know if that's even possible, given the way the recording works, and maybe it only works in realtime. But I figured I'd mention it. I know I can manually create key frames rather than pressing Record, but often I've made a bunch of small changes, and it's tricky to remember exactly which objects I moved/rotated.

That makes me think it would be kind of nice if there was a more obvious visual indicator that I'm in Record mode or not, kind of like how the Unity editor can be tinted when in Play mode...