Search Unity

Anyway to ONLY bake light probes?

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by Werti100, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Werti100

Werti100

As title says, some of my big maps take 2-3 hours to fully bake, so it'd be great that when I update my light probes I don't have to re-bake light maps just so I can get the light probes updated. It seems that the light probe baking is a totally different process from baking light maps, so I don't see why it couldn't be done? Take that as a grain of salt though, I don't know much about the internal process of baking lighting.

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

AFAIK, no. It has been asked.

You could use Unity 4.x or Unity 3.x, because those versions had that feature. We lost that feature when we got Enlighten, which is now deprecated.

3. thefranke

thefranke

Unity Technologies

Hey Werti100, hey AcidArrow,

that feature is on my TODO list and we also have it on our roadmap. However, there are some architectural challenges ahead, so this will still take some time.

Cheers

ROBYER1 and Werti100 like this.
  4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Hey, that's cool to know...

But if I may rant a tiny bit:
    I find it a bit confusing how an almost a decade old 3rd party software (Beast) that Unity had no control over, could easily do all these things, plus more (for example, bake skinned meshes, which still isn't doable), plus better packing (although this was probably not related to Beast, but I still don't understand why we still have bounding box packing), but now, there are architectural challenges, after years and years where Unity has gone architectural overhauls (for the better, presumably).

Enlighten was blamed for a lot of it, not sure if it was deserved, but now with Enlighten being dead and the progressive lightmapper being pretty far along, you are in a situation where you own all the pieces of code related to this are your own, and now, somehow there are architectural challenges to doing something that was easily doable almost a decade ago.

I mean, I'm not saying you are lying, I'm sure there are architectural challenges, (plus I believe these have been issues since even before you were hired), but I'm just baffled how and why things are still problematic and are progressing so slow.

(although, seeing other parts of Unity progressing at similar rates: e.g. an input manager that doesn't suck taking 4-5 years to write, an animator view that took 4-5 years to have a zoom in/out etc, I'm guessing the issue is systemic to how Unity is ran and not really related to your team)...

Anyway, I don't expect a reply, I guess I just wanted to rant a bit.

Thank you for the reply.

TorbenDK likes this.
  5. thefranke

thefranke

Unity Technologies

Fair points. I'm only familiar with Unity starting at Enlighten, and I agree that it is strange for software to loose functionality. Anyway, I'll make sure it finds its way back in, just not sure about the timeline yet.

Cheers

Werti100 and AcidArrow like this.
  6. Werti100

Werti100

I look forward to it then! I think it's great that you guys are working to improve the engine, keep up the good work!

JenniferNordwall and thefranke like this.
  7. AkiWang

AkiWang

Hi,
    So do we have a way to just bake light probes only now? When I tried to call Lightmapping.BakeLightProbesOnly(), it is obsolete. My unity version is 2019.4.8

8. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

We don’t.

9. projectorgames_unity

projectorgames_unity

It's been 3 years - how long is your todo list, exactly?