Search Unity

Anyway to create a 3D modeler in Unity?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by endertravis9, May 24, 2019.

1. endertravis9

endertravis9

So my friend wants to help me 3D model, I use Blender but he wants to do it in VR, and right now there is no good 3D modeling software for VR so I was wondering if I could use Unity to make VR and Non-VR 3D modeling software, thanks for any feedback.

P.S: If you do know any good VR 3D modeling software or a Blender addon please tell me.

2. Billy4184

Billy4184

Why do it in VR? Is there any kind of benefit? What are the shortcomings of modelling on a monitor/keyboard that doing it in VR will solve?

Is your goal to make tools or to make games? If it's the latter, focus on that because even if VR modelling is a good idea, it will take an absolute ton of work to make something approaching the feature set of Blender.

To answer your question, I don't think there's much that you can't achieve in Unity. After all, models are just vertex positions and UV positions and all that sort of thing, which is the same in every software.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  3. Antypodish

Antypodish

Modeling on VR is fun, but nothing more than that, for short time.
    Is not practical.
    You probably want spend tons of time modeling. Try sit with headset for xyz hours.
    Unless you want something simple. Like really simple.

Joe-Censored and xVergilx like this.
  4. Mauri

Mauri

Blender XR seems cool by the looks of it... But as others above said: Non-VR modeling is the better way.

Joe-Censored, xVergilx and Ryiah like this.
  5. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I tried to use the unity vr editor long time ago to rig our items (rig the hands to grab the items). It's actually impossible to see on a monitor how the rigs will end up on a stereoscopic display so there are some benefits to it.

6. Antypodish

Antypodish

Why you don't use anymore?