Search Unity

Anything usable using amdgpu?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Keltozak, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Keltozak

Keltozak

Hi,

I'm new to Unity and try a lot at the moment to get the editor to run with my AMD RX580. I'm using openSUSE Tumbleweed, so a recent software stack using Kernel 4.20 and amdgpu Mesa Driver. I've already played a lot of games using this system but cannot get the Unity editor running fine. My dream would be to get HDRP with vulkan running, but even the legacy engine has weird graphical glitches in the scene view. I already tried Mesa 18.3 and 19.0-rc-4 with no difference. I tried switching from OpenGL to Vulkan only to get other glitches. I tried using the AMDVLK driver instead of RADV but that is working even worse. I tried Unity 2018.3, 2019.1 beta and even the 2019.2 alpha. The newer versions are working better in OpenGL but far from perfect, The vulkan experience is bad in every version.

Is someone here using amdgpu? Can somebody help me here? Should I provide screenshots? Do I have to use amdgpu-pro or - even worse - Windows?

2. mageaster

mageaster

No, you have to change your GPU to Nvidia.

3. Keltozak

Keltozak

you have to be kidding... that would be the worst option...

4. PiratePaprika

PiratePaprika

2017 works fine on r9 390 + amdgpu

5. PixelJ

PixelJ

Unity Technologies

HDRP will require Vulkan on Linux. It's not working yet for amdgpu.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    CrandellWS and FROS7 like this.
  6. Keltozak

Keltozak

Can you give some estimate when it will be supported? Is it a task on the driver side oder on the unity side?

7. CommunityUS

CommunityUS

@Keltozak if you still have a AMD GPU you want to try Vulkan for with Linux I might be able to help. Are you willing to use SteamOS? I was looking to buy a AMD GPU based machine myself for this very purpose so I am highly motivated to make sure it works for you before I purchase one for me ;-) if you are ok to try SteamOS i can help walk you through the steps that worked for me to enable the repos that will get your blanket vulkan support, this is native linux too not the steam play wrapper, though that might be a path as well.

AMD helped work on the Vulkan API after stopping their work on Mantle so I would be surprised if it didn't work, just takes knowing how to get proof of concept I suppose then would know repos and source to get working for your distro of choice.

PM me if interested in working to solve the problem and willing to try SteamOS (for their driver support basically)