Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Template AnyMMO - Open Source MMORPG Engine Now In Playable Alpha

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by michaelday008, Oct 13, 2019.

?

What type of Unity Package would you prefer to see for AnyRPG

1. Minimal Download Size: Base Engine and Prefabs Only - No Icons, animations, effects, or sounds

12.9%
  2. Medium Download Size: Base Engine with all abilities and animations from the AnyRPG Alpha Game

13.7%
  3. Large Download Size: The works - entire engine plus full content of AnyRPG Alpha Game

46.0%
  4. All Of The Above: I like choice!

52.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. michaelday008

michaelday008

Progress Update - Open Source Sounds Now Included In The Engine!

This week a very important milestone was reached. A very generous contributor donated a collection of basic sound files that I can redistribute under the MIT license that the project is licensed under. These sounds have allowed me to add several new features to the engine to support them.

Buying and selling from vendors now results in a coin sound (user configurable). Several types of footstep sounds are now included with the engine including water splash footsteps, stone echo footsteps, and regular footsteps. You can now define footstep sounds at the level of the character, the zone, or certain areas within a zone (like shallow water, dirt patches, rooms etc using triggers).

The sounds included are diverse enough that nearly all crafting sounds and spells included with the engine will now have sound out of the box.

There have been some major updates to the looting and crafting systems also. Crafting recipes can now be learned automatically at specific levels, or learned only from recipe drops that now come from monsters. Gold can now automatically scale by level and toughness for quests and mob kills, and shows up specially combined at the top of the loot list.

Also, just for fun, I used the features in the new character stat system to make some abilities from my favorite MMO.

You can now annoy your healers all day long by sacrificing your health for mana, and you can steal mana from your enemies to refill your own pool.

HeadClot88 likes this.
  2. michaelday008

michaelday008

Progress Update - Pre Release Activities for 0.8a and A Lost Soul Chapter 2

Since the last update I've spent a lot of time testing the game using the Invector controller and doing play-throughs of all the new content on all of the character classes I have in the game to work out any bugs and ensure the game and engine are stable for the next release.

I finally did my first test build yesterday, and noticed this graphical strangeness.

UnityTextureIssue.jpg

Apparently, in Unity 2019.4 and lower, any resources.assets file over 4GB will cause this.

Well, have a look at that beauty...

upload_2020-7-21_0-21-43.png

The game isn't even that big really at this point. There are about 11 scenes and 60 or so different types of NPCs. A full playthrough of all content can be done in as little as 2.5 hours if you skip all the dialog and cutscenes.

Apparently, that's 6GB of textures in that file though. Does anyone have experience with this, and if so, how did you solve it? I've read that there's an asset on the Asset Store called build report tool, but I looked it up and it was $15. Is there a better free way to get that file size down?

Also, I'm a little worried about what happens as I complete the game. Just for this build, it was about 10gb uncompressed (3.7gb compressed). When I'm done, there will probably be about 30-40 scenes and 150 or so types of NPCs total. I may be able to squeeze that Texture size down to 4GB for this release, but definitely not any future ones.

I've also heard people have various success with Asset Bundles when trying to solve this issue. Does anyone have any experience with that? I'm not even sure how that would work with textures since they are something applied to materials, and unlike prefabs or even UI elements, I'm not directly instantiating textures at runtime, especially for static content in my scenes like buildings, so I'm not sure how I would load them in.

Any advice is definitely appreciated.

HeadClot88 likes this.
  3. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

4. michaelday008

michaelday008

The best way to see if any progress is being made during these long, silent pre-release phases is to check the github commit history. There's always activity there even if you don't see posts in this thread or frequent livestreams. Mostly I'm not posting anything new because its just hours and hours of testing, fixing, and polishing.

I actually just finished what I think is the final round of bug fixes necessary for this release and will begin testing the package export tomorrow. Hopefully I can get 0.8a out by this weekend.

If you want a good laugh, see if you can count the number of bug fix commits that have been pushed to github in the last 8 weeks ;)

upload_2020-8-10_23-45-1.png

5. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

How about any wizards to make some of what you have done less coding entensive?

6. michaelday008

michaelday008

Wizards will be coming soon.

After this release (0.8a), I need to add asset bundles support so I can release A Lost Soul Chapter 2 without those graphical artifacts I posted about earlier. Once that is released, I will start on 0.9a, and begin the learning journey of how to make Unity Editor scripts and wizards.

Mark_01, HeadClot88 and SickaGames1 like this.
  7. michaelday008

michaelday008

AnyRPG Engine 0.8.1a Released

This release was in development for over 8 months because I needed to make so many breaking changes and refactor so much of the core to lay the groundwork for allowing this project to scale beyond small prototypes and actually be useful for medium to large size games.

I'll try to keep updates smaller and more frequent in the future. Release notes are at the bottom of this post.

The videos below are a full playthrough of the example content included in the engine, focusing on the new features in this release. The example content is a full copy of A Lost Soul game data to provide a wide variety of real world configuration samples.

Features
    Usability
    • Added prefab templates for most common weapon types to make importing weapon models easier.
    • Most Scriptable Objects and their serialized properties now have headers and tooltips in the Unity editor.
    • Nameplate position can now be controlled easily through a gameobject anchor.
    • Portals can now use location tags to easily control spawn locations by looking for tagged objects instead of requiring exact vector3 co-ordinates.
    Third Party Package Support
    • Added support for using a third party camera and motion controller. This includes an ObjectMessageContoller Monobehavior that be configured to interface with any third party component using reflection, events, property manipulation, and message sending.
    • Invector controller message template to interface with an Invector movement controller is included in the engine.
    • Invector UMA template that contains all the AnyRPG player components for quick creation of Invector integrated UMA models is included in the engine.

Custom Stat System

• Primary stats (such as wisdom, spirit, intellect etc) are now completely user definable through ScriptableObjects.
    • The relationship between primary stats and secondary stats is also user defined now.
    • Power Resources (like health / mana / rage / energy) can now be configured or added to games through ScriptableObjects.
    • Stats and Power resources can be defined system wide, per unit profile, per unit type, and per character class, or any combination.
    • Random item quality and random secondary stats are now available on dropped items.

Unity Timeline

• Added capability to control skybox through Unity timeline.
    • Cutscene dialog can now be advanced by the Unity timeline.
    • Cutscenes can be ended by the Unity Timeline.

UI and Sound

• Separate controls are now available for voice, UI, and sound effect volumes.
    • Action bars now show their keybind button in red if the target is out of range or not valid.
    • Many fullscreen UI panels now resize to any screen resolution.
    • Footstep sounds (looping or using animation events) can now be configured.
    • Footstep areas have been added to allow footstep sounds to change for an entire zone or localized areas.
    • A selection of basic sound effects are now included in the engine, and most abilities, and some UI actions have been configured to use them.
    • Item icons can now have their background color and / or icon changed depending on the item quality.
    • Several sample icon backgrounds are now included in the engine.
    • Faction can be suppressed on nameplates.
    • Nameplates can now include custom titles along with the faction.
    • A new current target projector has been added that will show a circle around the target on the ground. It can be configured to show different colors and types of circles depending on the unit difficulty.
    • Change all UI text to TextMeshPro for improved performance and flexibility.
    • In game credits has been added to the UI, along with ScriptableObjects to support it.
    • Nameplates can be completely suppressed on units.
    • Added a pet control panel to summon and dismiss captured pets.
    • Units now have chat bubbles on their nameplates to allow for visible dialog above the unit instead of requiring an open dialog box.
    • Quest objectives can now have their display names manually overridden in the quest log.
    • Text dialogs can now have audio associated with them.
    • Cutscenes now use dialogs for subtitles and can have specific text appear and disappear at certain timestamps.

Ability System

• AOE functionality has been upgraded to allow random spawn locations. This enables things like meteor showers.
    • AI now auto-targets ground spells at target foot location.
    • Characters can now learn abilities from their unit profile instead of needing weapons.
    • AOE abilities can now prefer the closest targets.
    • Animated abilities can now use auto-attack animations, allowing abilities that can be used with multiple weapon types.
    • Environmental area effects such as poison, lava, etc are now possible with the addition of a more generic ability casting base class.
    • Ability targeting logic is more consistent and now includes separate settings for casting on neutral units and casting on non-self units.
    • Explosions have been added to the knockback options in the ability system.
    • Status effects can now be assigned types, and other status effects can remove them based on their type. Eg, a poison type can be defined for a status effect and a remove ability that can remove status effects of that type.
    • Line of sight requirement can now be enabled for abilities.

Interactables

• Added animated interactable objects to enable things like doors and elevators.
    • Pressure plates have been added that are only triggered when a rigidbody with the correct mass is colliding with them.
    • Control switches and switch groups have been added that function like buttons and logic gates for activating other interactables.
    • Portals to other zones can be made more easily with the new load scene interactable component.

Items

• Items can now use UMA recipe profiles that will properly equip models for both male and female (different UMA race) characters.
    • Equipment sets have been added to the game, and can grant bonuses when any defined number of set pieces are worn.
    • Item level scaling has been introduced, and includes scaling caps, and item level freezing up drop.
    • Many enhancements to the loot system have been made, including weighted drops, drop groups, and drop limits.
    • Currency scaling has been introduced for item buy and sell price based on item level. Currency scaling is also available for currency drops from mobs.

Crafting

• Crafting recipes can now have individual holdables while crafting on a per recipe basis.
    • Recipes for skills can now be learned automatically at a certain level, or from item drops.

Engine

• Most properties for character related components have been moved from monobehaviors to the UnitProfile scriptableObject.
    • Objects (both inanimate and characters) can be made persistent through the use of components and will keep their position between level loads.
    • Unit spawn node logic has been improved to allow respawn on death, loot, despawn, or never.
    • XP scaling is now available for quests based on quest level and mob kills based on mob level.
    • Visiting a zone can now be used as a quest objective and prerequisite for anything that uses the prerequisite system.
    • Cutscenes can now be repeatable.
    • A behavior component has been added that can send user defined messages to gameObjects, to allow for scripted actions using built-in or user-supplied components. The behaviors can be timed to function like a character local timeline.
    • Units can now spawn dead.
    • Unit toughness ScriptableObject is available that allows independent tuning of resources and stats for creating boss type units.

Mark_01 likes this.
  8. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

Making wizards to automate this?

9. michaelday008

michaelday008

AnyRPG Engine 0.8.2a Released

This is a huge content release that includes the following:

Audio
    • 12 public domain background music tracks, 4 battle music tracks, and 2 ambient tracks are now included in the engine.
    Images
    • Over 1750 public domain icons and tileable textures are now included in the Unity package.
    Characters
    • A Non UMA humanoid sample character is now included as a reference for standard mecanim characters.
    • A simple suit of peasants UMA clothing is now included in the engine.
    • A public domain animated fish, and dragon that can fight and be used as a mount are now included in the engine.
    Models
    • 116 public domain weapon and tool prefabs, and 102 props in low poly, stylized, low res, and standard res medieval styles are now included in the engine.
    • 5 public domain low poly modular building kits, and 3 low or standard res building kits that contain over 2500 pieces to build dungeons, environments, castles, and towns in medieval style are now included in the engine.

Not yet, but at least with this release you will save about 100 hours digging through public domain stuff, downloading it, fixing textures, exporting blend files and setting up weapon models and attachment points ;)

Seriously though, I hear you. It's still on the backlog.

Here's the approximate current development roadmap:

low poly and low res sample demo levels -> character creator enhancements (as part of new game option instead of requiring body-matic) -> bundled spell effects -> asset bundle support -> a lost soul chapter 2 release -> wizards -> swimming -> flying -> rolling -> crouching -> dances -> dressing room wardrobe -> (maybe farming and growing plants) -> mail system -> database support -> npc healing and tank roles -> npcs in groups with player -> multiplayer

HeadClot88 and Mark_01 like this.
  10. michaelday008

michaelday008

AnyRPG Engine 0.9a Released

This is a MASSIVE content release that brings AnyRPG up to the point where you can literally create small games without having to download a single asset from anywhere else. It is finally able to deliver on the most requested feature in the poll for this thread: full game content of A Lost Soul including all prefabs right in the engine.

I spent the last 6 weeks learning Blender and making hundreds of custom 3D models and spell effects from public domain sources to fill out the kit with everything that any basic RPG should need. Feature list below the following important updates:

Daily Progress Updates on Discord
    Want more frequent updates than you can get in this forum post? Come join discord and check out the development-updates channel for daily progress screenshots : https://discord.gg/huSAuqk

Support AnyRPG on Patreon
    The best way to help the project out is with code or art contributions. However, if you don't have a lot of time or experience in those areas, donations are welcomed : https://www.patreon.com/anyrpg

New AnyRPG Wiki
    AnyRPG Development moves at a rapid pace that doesn't always allow time for thorough documentation. Now you can help contribute by signing onto the AnyRPG Wiki (Google login supported) and posting tips and screenshots from your own experience. https://wiki.anyrpg.org/

OpenGameArt Collections
    Want to download the art from AnyRPG, but don't want a 1.3GB Package (current package size)? Check out individual cc0 (public domain) art pieces from the project on opengameart : https://opengameart.org/users/anyrpg

AnyRPG 0.9a Download : https://www.anyrpg.org/downloads/

Features
    Features
    • New universal attachment system allows users to define attachments for ability prefabs and weapons such as 'Right Hand' and have that looked up in a table that translates to the actual bone, allowing all weapons and effects to be re-used among characters with different bone structures.
    Enhancements
    • Patrols can now use tags instead of direct vectors. This make it easy to assign objects in the scene and use Unity's color tagging system to see if patrol points are on a NavMesh or not. It also means patrols can be re-used across different scenes if necessary.
    • Chat text from dialogs that NPCs are playing can now be limited by distance to not appear in the chat log if they are far away.
    • Credits can now have separate URL links for the author and item values.
    Bug Fixes
    • Rotation of spawned objects is now properly local
    • Several null reference checks have been added to prevent crashes
    • Unit toughness resource multipliers (direct multiplication of health etc without increasing base stat such as stamina) now work properly again.
    • Boss fight music will end properly in scenes without background music now.
    • Fixed a targeting bug that prevented life drain heal effects from properly targeting the original caster.
    • Incorrectly configured UMA recipe profiles will no longer crash the game when an item with a null UMA recipe link is unequipped.
    • Abilities that belong to another class will properly be hidden from the action bars and spellbook when a class change occurs. They will return if the character changes back to the original class. This prevents abilities acquired from item drops from needing to be manually re-acquired after a class change.
    New Content
    Audio
    • 4 Ambient environment tracks
    • 4 Battle music tracks
    • 18 Background music tracks
    Visual Effects
    • 156 Spell Effects
    Buildings and Building Kits
    • 15 buildings and building kits consisting of over 1157 prefabs.
      • Castle Cathedral Kit : 11 pieces
      • Labyrinth Kit : 88 pieces
      • Low Poly Modular Kits : 819 pieces
      • Medieval Kit : 239 pieces
      • Mine Kit : 128 pieces
    Animations
    • Zombie walking and fighting Animations
    • Dual wield warrior fighting animations
    Characters
    • 24 animated non UMA characters are now included
      • Fire breathing dragon that can be used as a mount
      • Animated fish
      • 2 types of crab
      • 2 types of rat
      • Spider
      • Cartoon Medieval Knight
      • Old Lady in fancy dress
      • Rabbit
      • Male and female deer
      • Monk
      • 2 types of Goblin
      • Female innkeeper
      • Male peasant
      • Forest rock monster
      • Undead squirrel
      • Rooster and chicken
      • Ogre
      • Saxon warrior
      • Female archer
    Other Types of 3D Models
    • 6 types of edible food
      • Watermelon
      • Cheese
      • Bread
      • Sausage
    • 17 construction prefabs including bridges
    • 63 types of trees, grass, stumps, bushes, plants
    • 99 props including campfires, books, drinkable and craftable potions, alchemy and writing set, and mining crystals.
    • 108 Weapons Including custom designed bone weapons, ninja claws, and elemental staffs.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    HeadClot88 likes this.
  11. michaelday008

michaelday008

Development Update

Since a few people have asked how to integrate the Invector controller with the project, I've created a tutorial and wiki article explaining the full process.

https://wiki.anyrpg.org/wiki/Invector_Controller_Setup

The next update is still in progress, and will include a character creator that will allow you to launch the game with any character model.

To support this functionality the character system is undergoing a refactor to simplify things and allow you to create your own character models by simply importing an fbx, and setting a few references to the model and animations. For humanoids, all that is required is a reference to the model.

Mark_01 and HeadClot88 like this.
  12. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

Both of these are good news. Looking forward to the next update :)

13. michaelday008

michaelday008

Status Update: Github Repository Is Now A Self Contained Unity Project

https://github.com/michaelday008/AnyRPGCore

The github repository for this project has a new URL to reflect the fact that it is now a self contained Unity Project. You no longer need to wait months between Unity Package updates if you want to try out the latest features.

This will also make it easier for people to contribute to the project since they can now download a fully working minimal environment, make code changes, and send pull requests.

To keep the core size small, it's pretty bare bones at this point and includes only a single zone, two character models (one UMA), and an empty backpack, but it will be expanded to include basic combat and quests in the future so it's easier to test new features.

14. michaelday008

michaelday008

AnyRPG 0.10a Is Released

AnyRPG 0.10a includes many features designed to help creators produce content quicker and easier. The highlights include:
    • A new single unit prefab system that allows creation of playable characters, mounts, and npcs using a single ScriptableObject (down from 20 or so MonoBehaviors and 5 ScriptableObjects).
    • A new game launch system that allows customizing character model, appearance, name, faction, class, and specialization in one window.
    • A weapon harness and attachment system that decouples bone structure from equipment mount points, allowing creators to quickly attach a few prefabs that will mount any weapon type properly.
    • A simple Core Game that demonstrates every feature the engine supports over a few small and easy to copy scenes full of examples.
    • Less configuration needed to integrate the Invector movement controller.

Mark_01 likes this.
  15. michaelday008

michaelday008

Development Update

It's been a long time since I posted an update because after catching Covid-19 last November, I came down with a severe case of long covid that left me both physically and mentally disabled to the point where I was bed-ridden and could not even comprehend the source code I had written months earlier.

Because doctors have no idea how to treat this condition yet, I had to do all my own research, and while testing different treatments, I discovered that covid had left me severely intolerant to gluten, milk, eggs, meat, fish, any food that is high in histamine, and most medications. I had been getting worse for more than 6 months, until I made this discovery and switched to a 100% vegan diet (something I never thought I'd do). After a few months of eating nothing but fruits and vegetables, I'm finally starting to recover to the point where I can make small updates.

I hope to be able to post another release soon. In the meantime, here's what's under development...

Trello Board

This one is actually live already. You can now post feature requests, and track their progress from backlog all the way to released (or ready to release). Check it out at https://trello.com/anyrpg/

Performance Enhancements

Frame rates have been improved dramatically. In some cases, they are now higher than 200fps on my ancient gaming machine with a Geforce GTX 750ti card. This is mostly due to the following changes:
    • A configurable built in object pooling system that can preload objects, persist them between scenes, and use the SendMessage() function to assist in smooth cleanup and recycling. This has limited the number of Instantiate() calls down to almost nothing at run-time.
    • UI architecture redesign that disables inactive UI windows when they are not visible. I had tried the common advice of just setting alpha to 0, but extensive profiling revealed that even with all raycast functionality turned off, the more than 50 inactive windows were still eating up more than 25 fps. In real world performance, it's actually much quicker to use SetActive(false) and SetActive(true) than to keep the windows active but hidden and non-interactable.
    • A completely redesigned minimap system that no longer uses a live camera, because every camera reduces frame rates by approximately 1/n where n is the number of active cameras. Instead, a minimap wizard is included that can be used in the editor to save images of any scene and load them at run-time. If one doesn't exist, the minimap camera will just render a single frame to memory on level load and use that for the main map and minimap graphics.
    • Removal of real-time Unit Frame previews. For the same reason as above, reducing active cameras to one (the main camera) means that nothing is eating up your frame rates at play time.
    User Friendly Features

Resource Selectors
    A major complaint with AnyRPG was the fact that resources could not be selected using the standard Unity selector, and had to be typed in manually. Although this is necessary for future database compatibility, a custom resource selector is now in place that offers similar functionality. Simply press the selector arrow ">" beside any field and browse resources like you would expect.

Welcome Window
    A new welcome window will pop up when you launch a project with AnyRPG installed (or open it from the toolbar) that can load the included demo scenes (no more searching through the project hierarchy), launch support content (wiki/discord/youtube/etc), and open the New Game Wizard.

New Game Wizard
    Finally AnyRPG has a supported method for creating new games. It's still pretty simple, but even at this stage, it will create the correct folder structure, make a custom Game Manager, configure the Game Manager, and add the first scene into the project. It takes only a few seconds, and you can immediately press the Play button and start running around your new self-contained game. If you own, and want to use the Invector controller, it will even configure your game with all the correct options to use it out of the box.

Kennth and Mark_01 like this.
  16. michaelday008

michaelday008

AnyRPG 0.11a Is Released

Unity Compatibility
    The latest AnyRPG release uses Unity 2020.3.17f1, so there are no more barriers to using URP in your project!

Performance Enhancements
    • An object pooling system is now available that improves performance by reducing the number of Instantiate() and Destroy() calls at runtime.
    • The minimap and main map now use textures for the map instead of a real-time camera, which should improve frame rates.
    • The number of canvases has been reduced, which results in higher frame rates by reducing the number of graphic raycasters needed.
    • UI Windows are now disabled when not in use, which results in higher frame rates by reducing the number of calls to see if the mouse is intersecting a window every frame.
    • UMA build logic has been improved to use AvatarDefinitions which should result in a single build call instead of multiple build calls during initial character (both player and NPC) building.
    Usability Features
    • A new game wizard is available that will create the proper folder structure, scenes, and prefabs to launch a minimal, independent game for your project.
    • A minimap wizard is available that can be used in the editor to take overhead image captures of scenes to be used with the in-game minimap.
    • A welcome window that will pop up when the editor is launched is included with options to open included demo games, launch the new game wizard, and open online support resources.
    • Resource selectors are available beside all text input fields that reference scriptable objects. The selector window allows filtering by resource type and name, similar to the built-in selector window that is used to link to standard project resources.
    UI Enhancements
    • Quest indicators now show on the main map to make it easier to find available quests, and turn in completed quests.
    • The minimap and main map now show an arrow for your character, so it's much easier to find your way around a level.
    • An option is available in the settings menu to reset the UI windows to default positions.
    • The UI will now save window positions relative to their anchors, which should result in the UI window positions no longer remaining squished together when switching from a smaller screen or window to larger screen or window.
    General Enhancements
    • The music player can now be configured to play audio through the music, ambient, or sound effects channels.
    • The teleport effect can now use location tags and override spawn location and spawn rotations.
    • Portals can now include location and rotation overrides.
    • Weapon damage can now use a base damage and a scaled damage. The option is no longer limited to one or the other.
    • Factions can now have their own default starting locations in a zone
    • Items can no longer be equipped if they are a higher level than the character.
    • Vendor collections can now override item quality to allow for multiple quality versions of items without creating and managing multiple item resources.
    • UMA recipe profiles now include color options, to reduce the number of UMA recipes required for items with the same texture but different colors.
    Universal Render Pipeline compatibility
    • The cast target graphic now uses a plane and standard material instead of the projector shader.
    • The unit highlight circles now use a plane instead of the projector shader.
    • All particle based effects now use the standard default-particle.
    Included Content
    • New UMA clothing and hair options are available for both male and female characters.
    • The zone collider prefab now includes a net across the bottom which will respawn characters if they fall through the map to prevent endless falling and the need to quit and reload the game.
    • Many visual effects that used to use sprite sheets are now more visually appealing due to being replaced with particle systems.
    Bug Fixes
    • When loading from a save file, extra reputation will no longer be accidentally added to the character.
    • You can no longer remove a buff from an NPC by right clicking on it in the status effect bar.
    • Removing or cancelling a mount effect will no longer remove status effect visual effects from the character.
    • Default settings will properly be applied to new installations even if the settings menu is not opened on first play.
    • Better exclusive logic and options have been added to ensure that off-hand items like shields properly unequip two hand weapons when equipped.
    • Closing the character preview panel will properly hide the tooltip if the mouse was over an equipment slot.
    • If the bank or vendor windows are open, an item will not be accidentally used if it is clicked on and cannot be sold or moved to the bank.
    • If more status effects are on the player than can fit on the unit frame status effect bar, the extra status effects will be added to the bar when space becomes available, instead of remaining invisible.
    • The tooltip will be properly hidden when selling an item to a vendor and the slot becomes empty.
    • The glow effect works better with UMA characters and should no longer result in strange materials being applied to the UMA character if the mouse was hovered over the character while it was still rendering.
    • Fixed a race condition where a unit spawner could spawn a unit in the next zone due to the spawn being called while the next scene was loading.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
    Kennth likes this.
  17. michaelday008

michaelday008

Development Update

Available now on github (https://github.com/michaelday008/AnyRPGCore), the character controller has received a much needed upgrade. Movement up stairs that lack a ramp and movement over obstacles is much smoother and no longer limited to forward and reverse directions. Ground stickiness and smooth movement works in all directions. Several new features have also been added:
    • Swimming with camera fog effect under water
    • Flying
    • Gliding
    • Autorun
    • Slope limits so players can no longer run straight up vertical walls
    • Fall Damage
    In addition, the github repo now includes open source plate armor for UMA males and females.

upload_2021-9-19_14-41-30.png

swimming.png

Kennth likes this.
  18. michaelday008

michaelday008

AnyRPG 0.12a Is Released

Unity Compatibility
    This package is compatible with Unity 2020.3.20f1 which can be downloaded from https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive.

Usability Features
    • A screen shot wizard is now available that can take screenshots of scenes (and prefabs) with transparent backgrounds. This should make creating item icons and pictures of characters easier.
    UI Enhancements
    • Items placed on action bars will now show the same item quality colored backgrounds as when in the inventory.
    General Enhancements
    • The error message when a duplicate key (resource display name field) is found in the factory has been improved and will display the file name of the existing item with that key.
    • Status effects can now define groups and be configured to either overwrite existing effects of the same group, or be prevented from casting if an effect in that group already exists on the target.
    • Abilities can now require the caster be facing the target, and a valid maximum angle from center can be configured.
    • Many tweaks have been made to the character and mount movement to make movement up stairs smoother and prevent bouncing off the ground on seems between box and mesh colliders.
    • Multi-phase quests are now available and will only show objectives for the current phase, allowing more precise control of which order quest objectives need to be completed in.
    • Fall damage can now be configured and includes minimum height to take damage, and damage amount per meter fallen.
    • Autorun function and keybind is now available which allows the character to continue moving forward without input.
    • Status effects can now include glide functionality which allows characters to slowly glide to the ground and change direction in mid-air.
    • Characters can now swim and areas where swimming is allowed can be configured with a custom underwater fog effect.
    • Flying has been added and can be configured temporarily though status effects or permanently at the unit (or mount) level.
    Included Content
    • Plate armor is now included for male and female UMA races.
    • All item icons now have transparent backgrounds so item quality colors can be used consistently.
    • Custom icons for the included UMA gear are now available.
    • Hundreds of new ability and item icons have been added.
    • 9 colors of wings visual effects have been added
    Bug Fixes
    • If a character leaves a movement sound area (such as water) while mounted, their footstep sounds will be properly reset to normal.
    • Vendor buttons will now properly disable the tooltip if the mouse is over the button when the page is changed and there is no button in that spot on the new page.
    • If there are multiple UMA items that could be applied to a character for a piece of equipment, the last item that applies to each slot will be consistently applied now.
    • NPCs will no longer despawn when they have loot available to be collected.
    • Unique items will now only drop once, no matter how many unlooted enemies that can drop that item are nearby.
    • A null reference that could occur if an item could not be looted has been fixed.
    • When the choice is made to respawn when dead, the character nameplate should properly show now.
    • Builds should work again without an error message referencing the UnityEditor namespace.
    • To prevent pooled UMA characters from showing the wrong race when a new zone is loaded, the character will now be invisible until the render is complete.
    • The camera will now be in the correct position when a zone is loaded instead of being at the side or front of the character for a frame.
    • Dead temporary pets can now despawn.
    • NPCs will no longer despawn in the middle of reviving.

19. michaelday008

michaelday008

Available On Github To Test : XBOX Gamepad Support

XBOX gamepad support has entered the public testing phase, and is now available in the master branch on github at https://github.com/michaelday008/AnyRPGCore/

It would be fantastic to get this tested as much as possible before releasing the Unity package, so if you've been waiting for this feature, please clone the repository, and test this out.

I've attempted to make it as user friendly and intuitive as possible. Users can turn gamepad mode on and off during play, and it can also be set as the default in the game configuration. Some of the major differences you will see when gamepad mode is active are:
    • Action bars will be replaced with a gamepad specific cross bar that supports multiple button sets (via LB and RB) and 2 active bars (FFXIV style) that can be activated using LT and RT.
    • Interactables will pop up a special gamepad tooltip when you are in range, showing what button you should press to interact with them, and what that interaction will do. Eg, Interact, Gather, etc.
    • The inventory has been completely re-worked to use a single window that shows all storage from every bag in a single pane to make re-organizing and accessing it easier with the gamepad.
    • Whenever a window is open and special options are available (ie, anything beyond D pad navigation or A button interactions), a gamepad tooltip bar will be shown letting users know which buttons will perform what actions.
    • The currently active interactable element will always be highlighted.
    actionbars.png interactables.png inventory.png abilities.png

20. michaelday008

michaelday008

AnyRPG 0.13a Is Released

Unity Compatibility
    This package is compatible with Unity 2020.3.25f1 which can be downloaded from https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive.

Features
    • Full xbox controller support is now available. This includes the ability to control the character and interact with the UI using the gamepad.
    • New player hints will now pop up the first time a player is spawned that show the most commonly used keyboard/mouse or gamepad controls, depending on what controller input is active.
    • A help submenu has been added to the in-game main menu with access to the controller hints, plus an option to respawn the character in case they become stuck on the terrain.

Control Enhancements
    • When the 'Rotate Model' box is checked in a Unit Profile, the keyboard controls will now behave more like the gamepad mode, and the character will no longer automatically face away from the camera when idle.

UI Enhancements
    • Out of range Indicators have been standardized to a small circle on the action bars, so they will show even when no key is bound to an action button.
    • The settings panel now includes buttons to reset all settings on a settings pane to default values.
    • The bank and inventory now use a single large window instead of individual windows for each bag equipped.
    General Enhancements
    • The inventory and bank can now have a default amount of slots without the need to create bags.

Dreamwalker23 and Kennth like this.
  21. michaelday008

michaelday008

AnyRPG 0.14a Is Released

Unity Compatibility
    This package is compatible with Unity 2020.3.33f1 which can be downloaded from https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive.

General Features
    • A chat input box has been added to the UI that allows players to enter text and have it show in the chat log.
    • Chat commands are now available. When added to a game, these can be used to perform actions like "/dance" or for cheat codes such as "/gainxp 1000".
    Wizards
    • A New Character Wizard has been added which will accept a character model, and create the unit profile, add the weapon attachments, and set the character as the default player if requested.
    • A Template Content Wizard has been added which can install over 1000 different common types of scriptable objects to a game, including classes, specializations, weapon skills, trade skills, gathering skills, unit spawners, gathering nodes, and much more.
    • A New Scene Wizard has been added which can create a new scene using a default empty level, or a user selected scene. It can also configure the ambient sounds, background music, and a teleportation portal to reach the scene from other scenes.
    • A New Weapon Wizard has been added which can accept a weapon model, and automatically create a weapon handle prefab as well as the weapon item scriptable object that allows the weapon to be used and equipped by the character.
    Content
    • The default mecanim character "Box Man" has been replaced with modular human male and female characters with several variations of head/hair/armor/clothing plus 47 animations each.
    • A medieval buildings kit with 20 new prefabs has been added.
    • A medieval crafting stations kit with 3 new crafting stations has been added.
    • A medieval props kit with 19 new prefabs has been added.
    • A medieval tavern kit with 20 new prefabs has been added.
    • A new fishing pole prefab has been added for the fishing skill.
    UI Enhancements
    • Character previews will now continue rotating when the mouse moves outside the area of the preview window while rotating them.
    • Items will now show their descriptions in tooltips.
    Workflow Enhancements
    • Ability effects can be defined inline on abilities, reducing the number of scriptable objects that need to be created and managed.
    • Interactable options can be defined inline on characters, reducing the number of scriptable objects that need to be created and managed.
    • Food, potions, and scrolls take advantage of the new inline ability effect changes, to allow direct creation of these items without the need to manually create the previously required ability effects they needed as dependencies.
    • Several enhancements have been made to animated (moveable) objects such as doors and gates to allow them to be configured more easily, and allow them to take advantage of baked animations.
    Wizard Enhancements
    • The Screenshot Wizard can now define the screenshot dimensions, and shows a visual preview of the size and content of the screenshot. This allows users to create screenshots that can be used immediately without requiring the use of third party image editing software to crop or resize the image.
    • The New Game Wizard can now accept all options the New Scene Wizard can, including the ability to user an existing scene from the project as the default scene.
    • A new type of prefab, the SceneConfig, is now available (and automatically created by the New Game Wizard), which can be placed in any scene to allow pressing play with that scene loaded, bypassing the previous requirement that games could only be loaded from the special loading scene. It also activates the ability to use resource selectors when placed in a scene, as well as allowing any of the wizards to be used from any scene, not just the special game loading scene.
    Combat Enhancements
    • Heal and attack effects can optionally ignore the previously mandatory cast time multiplier that applied to the amount.
    • Weapon attacks can now do ability damage, bypassing armor.
    • Crossbow and wand items and weapon skills are now available and have appropriate animations configured.
    • Attack speed can now be defined on weapon skills, which will allow a minimum time between auto-attacks regardless of how short the attack animation is.
    • Stealth has been added, which will allow players to sneak up on mobs.
    • Abilities can now require stealth to be used.
    • Abilities can now require being behind the target to be used.
    • Abilities can now require a specific unit type (such as beast or humanoid) as a target.
    Other Enhancements
    • The hand attachment example sword is now one sided to make visual alignment easier.
    • Gathering skills, crafting skills, and weapon skills now use universal attachments so that non UMA (mecanim) characters can properly hold weapons, tools, and props.
    • AI Characters will now turn to face the player when interacted with.
    • Valid pet types can now be defined at the class specialization level.
    • Status effects can be configured to not save when a game is saved.
    • Weapons can be configured to use a weapon skill for effects and animations, but not require that a character know that weapon skill to equip and use the weapon.
    • Resources such as health and mana no longer require stats such as stamina or intellect, and can configured in a game that doesn't use stats.
    Bug Fixes
    • Single clicking the right mouse button will no longer rotate the character to face in the camera direction.
    • Removing or renaming abilities will no longer cause a null reference error when loading a character that had known that ability.
    • The minimap wizard will no longer create blank minimaps if the level consists of a single flat plane.
    • Players should no longer lose their current target if they interact with a trigger such as a floor switch or cutscene.
    • The Unit Spawn control panel should properly reset values such as extra levels or toughness between uses.
    • Several bugs related to adding, removing, or loading extra bags with the inventory have been fixed.
    • The current page number display on paged windows should show correctly.
    • Several bugs have been fixed with the new game window which were previously triggered when a class was chosen, but no specialization was available.
    • The vendor sell price of items will be correctly calculated when the buy price is 1 (of any currency).
    • The load game window will properly show character equipment when the equipment has a higher level requirement than level 1.
    • The automatic map/minimap images will now properly calculate level size by ignoring skinned mesh renderers.
    • Several bugs that could lead to null reference errors in the console have been fixed.

HeadClot88 likes this.
  22. michaelday008

michaelday008

New Game Wizard Tutorial

With AnyRPG version
    0.14a, the project is getting quite near to the end of the alpha stage. Full documentation and tutorials will be coming shortly. If there are any specific tutorials you would like to see, please reply to this thread, and I'll prioritize them.

Last edited: May 2, 2022
    HeadClot88 likes this.
  23. michaelday008

michaelday008

Template Content Wizard Tutorial

With the new template content wizard included in AnyRPG, you can rapidly add content and create a fully playable prototype game with gathering, crafting, equipment, character classes, vendors, and combat.

HeadClot88 likes this.
  24. michaelday008

michaelday008

New Character Wizard Tutorial

This video demonstrates how to use the new character wizard included with AnyRPG to add a humanoid mecanim character. Learn how to configure animations and weapon attachment points to ensure the character can equip, sheath, and hold any weapon available.

HeadClot88 likes this.
  25. michaelday008

michaelday008

Screenshot Wizard Tutorial

This video demonstrates how to use the screenshot wizard included with AnyRPG to quickly create icons for your weapons and characters without the need for any external image editing software.

26. michaelday008

michaelday008

AnyRPG 0.14.1a Is Released

Unity Compatibility
    This package is compatible with Unity 2020.3.33f1 which can be downloaded from https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive.

Enhancements
    • The New Weapon Wizard can now create projectiles for bows and crossbows.
    • The New Character Wizard will now recognize the ForeArm.L bone when searching for the left arm.
    • The New Character Wizard will warn if the attachment profile is blank.
    Bug Fixes
    • The new game window should no longer show a character with nothing equipped if it is closed and opened again.
    • Ability animation objects on weapons are now properly initialized.
    • Bows and shields created using the New Weapon Wizard will have the correct attachment points.
    • The welcome window documentation link no longer points to a non-existent URL.
    • The welcome window shows the correct installed version of AnyRPG.
    • Fixed a missing audio file in the logging skill template.
    • Certain unit templates which were misconfigured now have the correct footstep loop audio profiles linked.

27. michaelday008

michaelday008

New Weapon Wizard Tutorial

This video demonstrates how to use the new weapon wizard included with AnyRPG to import 3D models into your game so they are ready to equip on your player or NPC characters.

28. michaelday008

michaelday008

New Scene Wizard Tutorial

This video demonstrates how to use the new scene wizard included with AnyRPG to import any scene to use in your game.

29. michaelday008

michaelday008

Minimap Wizard Tutorial

This video demonstrates how to use the minimap wizard included with AnyRPG to create a map for any scene in your game.

30. michaelday008

michaelday008

AnyRPG 0.14.2a Is Released

Unity Compatibility

New Features
    • A New Equipment Set Wizard has been added that will create equipment, an equipment set for the equipment, an optional vendor collection, and an optional loot table.
    Enhancements
    • Equipment can have UMA recipes defined directly on it, rather than needing a separate UMARecipeProfile scriptable object.
    • The default UMA races for male and female have been upgraded from the legacy HumanMaleDCS and HumanFemaleDCS to HumanMale and HumanFemale.

31. michaelday008

michaelday008

Equipment Set Wizard Tutorial

This video demonstrates how to use the new equipment set wizard included with AnyRPG to import UMA gear into your game. It can also be used to create non UMA gear or gear with no models.

32. michaelday008

michaelday008

Scrolls, Flasks, and Potions Tutorial

This video demonstrates how to create scrolls, flasks, and potions in AnyRPG.

33. michaelday008

michaelday008

Armor Classes Tutorial

This video demonstrates how to create custom armor classes for your game, such as Chainmail and Brigandine.

34. michaelday008

michaelday008

AnyRPG 0.14.3a Is Released

AnyRPG 0.14.3a is now available for download at https://www.anyrpg.org/download/anyrpg-engine-0-14-3a/

Unity Compatibility

New Features
    • An Animation Profile Wizard has been added that will automatically create an animation profile from a list of animations.
    • A new chat command has been added that allows you to directly set the character level with a command such as "/setlevel 10".
    Enhancements
    • The new scene wizard now adds zone colliders and the DefaultSpawnLocation prefab to scenes.
    • The new game wizard will automatically choose names that are not already in use for the game name and scene name.
    • Resource selectors have been added to several text fields that did not have them previously but can make use of them.
    Content
    • All potion models included now also include drinkable prefabs.
    Bug Fixes
    • The shield wall ability template will properly install the restore spell audio profile.
    • A null reference that could occur on the load game scene if the Unit Profile was missing or deleted has been fixed.
    • Action items can no longer be used while on cooldown.

35. michaelday008

michaelday008

Animations Tutorial

This video demonstrates how to use the animation profile wizard and animation profile scriptable object to import and configure custom animations for your characters and weapons.

36. michaelday008

michaelday008

Character Class Tutorial

This video demonstrates how to create and configure custom character classes by creating a playable paladin class.

37. michaelday008

michaelday008

Chat Commands Tutorial

This video demonstrates how to create and use chat commands. Chat commands are commands that can be entered in the chat box that perform certain actions such as giving your player items or experience. They are useful as both cheat codes, or ways to quickly test new items and features in your game.

38. michaelday008

michaelday008

Character Stats Tutorial

This video demonstrates how to create and configure character stats. After watching this video you will understand how to make a game similar to Skyrim with no character stats, or Wold of Warcraft which uses stats such as stamina and intellect.

39. michaelday008

michaelday008

The creation of full AnyRPG documentation is underway.

Want to know when the AnyRPG documentation at https://docs.anyrpg.org is updated? The documentation is now synced to github, so you just need to click the watch icon at the documentation github repository at https://github.com/AnyRPG/docs

40. michaelday008

michaelday008

Progress Update - Asset Store Submission In Progress

After 2.5 years of development, AnyRPG Core has finally been submitted to the Unity Asset Store for approval!

upload_2022-10-12_12-36-32.png

Here is the preview link for the package: https://assetstore.unity.com/preview/234361/742426

SickaGames1 likes this.
  41. michaelday008

michaelday008

42. michaelday008

michaelday008

Unity Asset Store Installation Guide

AnyRPG has 2 dependencies (Textmesh Pro and UMA) so I made this guide on how to get everything set up properly when downloading the package from the Unity Asset Store.

43. michaelday008

michaelday008

AnyRPG Engine 0.15 Release

AnyRPG Engine 0.15 is now available for download at https://www.anyrpg.org/download/anyrpg-engine-0-15/

Unity Compatibility

This package is compatible with Unity 2021.3.17f1 which can be downloaded from https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive.

New Features
    • Weather effects have been added. Rain, fog, an snow are included and users can create their own custom weather.
    • Character voices have been added and characters can now talk or make sounds when attacking, jumping, taking damage, taking fall damage, aggroing a character (AI only), killing a character (AI only), dying, opening a vendor window (AI only), closing a vendor window (AI only), opening an interaction window (AI only), and closing an interaction window (AI only).
    • Time of day tracking, including a day / night cycle is now available. This is a comprehensive update that includes:
      • A blended skybox shader that can slowly change from a day skybox to a night skybox.
      • The ability to rotate the sun and/or physically move it so shadows change direction with time of day.
      • The ability to change the color of the sun light as time passes.
    Enhancements
    • Footstep sounds can now be played in response to the type of terrain the character is on. Many different types of footstep sounds have been added including sand, gravel, grass, snow, rocks, wood, and stone. Footstep options have been improved and characters can now play their own footsteps, and footsteps based on the terrain simultaneously.
    • Audio clips played when casting an ability can now be looped.
    • The take damage animations that have been available in animation profiles are now implemented and will play when a character takes damage.
    • The doppler setting for the project has been set to 0 which should prevent sound effects from distorting as the camera is zoomed in and out.
    • Hit effects for unarmed attacks can now be defined at the Unit Profile level, giving the ability to for things like animals to have a bite attack as their default without needing to create a separate ability for it.
    • Spawnable items such as gathering nodes no longer require a prefab profile. The prefab can be attached directly to the gathering node so that things like trees and rocks can be previewed in the editor.
    • Starting pets (and valid pet types) can now be defined in any capability provider (such as character class, specialization, etc), meaning players can now have defined pets they can summon without first needing to capture them.
    • Audio clips can now be defined directly on dialog nodes without needing to make a separate Audio Profile.
    • A Chat Command that allows loading a scene is now available.
    Editor / Code
    • Error messages displayed at game startup for missing items in vendor items and crafting materials have been improved and will give the name of the scriptable object that has the error.
    Content
    • A clear sky skybox with no clouds has been added.
    • A cloth and leather UMA headband for male and female characters that can easily be recolored by the UMA Recipe Profile is now included.
    • Epic looking UMA shoulders and wrist splints for male and female characters have been added.
    • Hundreds of new audio clips have been added including many new punch, kick, hit, bash, and sword impacts.
    • Audio clips and Voice Profiles have been added for beasts, spiders, ogres, and mice.
    • For more consistent audio experience, audio files have been normalized to the following levels:
      • Footsteps: -15db peak to -12 db peak
      • Voices: -3db peak
      • Ambient Sounds: -9db peak
      • Background Music: -6db peak
      • Sound Effects: -6db peak
    Bug Fixes
    • If a status effect spawned multiple GameObjects of the same prefab, they will all be properly removed when the status effect is cancelled.
    • Multiple movement sound areas can now be properly tracked in case they overlap. Moving from one movement sound area to another will no longer result in the movement sounds from the second area not being played.
    • The default player name setting in the System Configuration Manager will now be properly used in the new game window.
    • The rigidbody interpolation setting on AI character has been fixed so they should no longer move slower at higher frame rates.
    Breaking Changes
    • The cast-on-equip ability on equipment has been changed to a status-effect-on-equip. This may require updating some scriptable objects if a project was using that feature.

44. michaelday008

michaelday008

Footstep Sounds Tutorial

This video demonstrates how to configure footstep sounds in AnyRPG. After watching this video you will understand how to configure animation events that trigger footstep sounds, use terrain layers to control footstep sounds, and create special triggers that change footstep sounds for different locations such as inside buildings or in the water.

45. michaelday008

michaelday008

Weather Effects Tutorial

This video demonstrates how to configure weather in AnyRPG. After watching this video you will understand how add weather to your scenes, modify weather sounds and fog settings, make use of the teleport particles feature, configure the length of time weather lasts for, and control the chance any weather will be active by using random weights.

46. michaelday008

michaelday008

Day / Night Cycle Tutorial

This video demonstrates how to configure a day / night cycle in AnyRPG. After watching this video you will understand how to set the speed of the in-game clock that controls the time of day, control the angle of the sun to make it appear you are in the north or south hemisphere, modify the color of light emitted by the sun over time, use the blended skybox to smoothly transition from a day sky to a night sky, use skybox rotation to make the sky move more realistically throughout the day or night, and add a physical sun to the scene that rises in the East and sets in the West.

47. michaelday008

michaelday008

Character Voices Tutorial

This video demonstrates how to configure character voices in AnyRPG. After watching this video you will understand how to install voice profiles with the Template Content Wizard, change which voice profile a character uses, create your own custom voice profiles using third party voice clips you've downloaded, and modify the voice profile your player character uses.

48. michaelday008

michaelday008

Quest System Tutorial

This video demonstrates how to use the questing system in AnyRPG. After watching this video you will understand how to add quest givers and quest turn-ins, how to make repeatable quests, how to add dialog introductions to quests, all the different types of quest objectives, how to make multi-step quests, how to make quest chains, the types of quest rewards available, how to make achievements, how to start quests from items in the inventory, and how to setup shared quest giver profiles so multiple NPCs can share the same quest list.

49. michaelday008

michaelday008

Dialogs Tutorial

This video demonstrates how to use dialogs in AnyRPG. After watching this video you will understand how to create dialogs, add dialogs to NPCs, make dialogs that are repeatable, automatically play dialogs in speech bubbles above a character's head, add voice clips to dialogs, make dialog chains, show dialogs before quests can be accepted, make characters walk around and talk while playing dialogs, and have groups of NPCs have conversations using dialogs.

50. michaelday008

michaelday008

Pets Tutorial

This video demonstrates how to configure and use pets in AnyRPG. After watching this video you will understand how to import pets from third party sources such as the Unity Asset Store, use the included wizards to setup the pets, use the capture pet abilities to capture pets in-game, assign pets a character can have when starting a game without needing to capture them, assign voice profiles that contains sounds such as growling to pets, modify the default attack ability to use biting sounds and blood effects, and change the default footstep setup to use wing flapping sounds.