Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone using the new UnityAds?

Discussion in 'Unity Ads & User Acquisition' started by ForgottenCheese, Sep 5, 2014.

1. ForgottenCheese

ForgottenCheese

I didn't know where to post this, so I'm putting it here. Also I've used the search function but I get a bunch of posts about other ad networks.

I've been tinkering around with it, it seems pretty cool. But the documentation is really in need of some work. For example in various locations, it says I should put my Ads on test mode to see an unlimited amount. But then it doesn't tell you how to put in test mode. I checked the Admin panel, not there. I think it might be a function, but I'm not sure. From the Inspector I can see it's working in some fashion. I found out about it from the Unite video and it was the perfect time too because my mobile game is pretty much done.

Should I just skip it and use another ad network?

2. ForgottenCheese

ForgottenCheese

No one at all?

Aiursrage2k and MadJohny like this.
  3. zDemonhunter99

zDemonhunter99

It looks like it, lol.

4. HeikkiTunkelo

HeikkiTunkelo

Unity Technologies

Hi ForgottenCheese.

The TEST-mode support (which has been available on the native iOS/Android SDK's) was missing in the asset store version.

We'll push an update that includes the test-mode that is visible also on C# code to asset store on 9th.

Any other stuff that you've had problems with the documentation?

Cheers,
    Heikki

5. ForgottenCheese

ForgottenCheese

Oh sweet, thanks. I thought I was going crazy for a second.

As for the documentation, the line:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine.Advertisements;
    should be added to the "Getting Started" page. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that tripped me up for about 20 minutes. As for the rest, I haven't been really able to test the system much without test mode.

Also, I'd appreciate it if there was a "best practices page" or something like that. Is it necessary to pause the the Unity Engine if the current scene is static? Should I always precache ads? Since this system is new I don't really now how I should be utilizing it.

Final note, I love that the developers are so active on the Unity forums, that is just amazing. So thank you :D

HeikkiTunkelo and Aurore like this.
  6. HeikkiTunkelo

HeikkiTunkelo

Unity Technologies

Thanks,

added the "using..." line to the Getting started guide.

I think the best practices document is a great idea, not only from the technical integration but on how you can make your ads perform best inside your game (=not annoying users too much, but still generating good money)

Cheers,
    Heikki

ForgottenCheese likes this.
  7. unity-nikkolai

unity-nikkolai

Using the Unity Asset Store version 1.0.2 of Unity Ads, there is a way to enable testMode by adding true as a second parameter when calling Advertisements.Initialize(). More details here in the Unity Ads Knowledge Base.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
    ForgottenCheese likes this.
  8. Athos-Krul

Athos-Krul

how much can you yearn with unity ads ?

9. Triggles

Triggles

Am I the only one having trouble with xCode? I got UnityAds working with Android (using the asset store package), but when I copy an iOS version to xCode, I get a missing header error (UnityAds.h). I posted on the forum and sent a support request but it's not been assigned.

It's a shame because UnityAds is great - for now I've moved over to AdMob but it's not as good...

10. hamstar

hamstar

I had the same issue Triggles. However, I'm still having trouble showing picture ads on Android so I'm trying to sort that out first!

I think the wrong files are copied over to the Libaries folder of the Xcode project in the build process. UnityAds.bundle.meta and UnityAds.framework.meta were copied, but UnityAds.bundle and UnityAds.framework were not.

I don't know why I'm having so much trouble with UnityAds. I assume it's working for most people? :( The website/dashboard doesn't even work properly for me.

11. Triggles

Triggles

Yes, some files aren't copied over. The only (very obscure) reference I could find about anything like this was in some guide for how to create plugins. It warns that subfolders will *not* be copied over to the built assets. That header is in a subfolder.

http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/PluginsForIOS.html

"Note: subfolders are currently not supported."

12. hamstar

hamstar

Adding the UnityAds.bundle and UnityAds.framework files to the Xcode project fixed the missing UnityAds.h error for me. However, I'm now getting the same message for Everyplay (Everyplay.h file not found).

It seems there's some kind of issue with the Postprocess scripts for UnityAds. Whatever UnityAds is doing in post process, it doesn't seem to be compatible with other PostProcessBuild scripts. The UnityAds Postprocess files are in Assets/Editor. It's hard to work out exactly what's going on because the Python scripts are compiled.

Triggles, are you using the Facebook or Everyplay SDK by any chance?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  13. Triggles

Triggles

Nope, the only other thing I'm using is Admob. The rest is all mine.

14. Triggles

Triggles

When I added the UnityAds.Framework file to xCode I got all sorts of other errors. Maybe I added the wrong one...

Regardless, it should just work.

15. hamstar

hamstar

Probably best to ignore that statement. I don't think it is affecting other post process stuff. The other issues I had were probably due to those SDKs not supporting building for iOS on Windows.

However, the issue Triggles and I are having occurs regardless of whether you build on Windows or Mac. So there's still a problem with UnityAds post process.

Yup, it should! I found I also needed the DeviceInfo framework. Finally no build errors! Here's a screenshot of where I added them, just in case you did something different.
    unityads.png

unity-nikkolai likes this.
  16. Triggles

Triggles

Interesting!

I've got admob working fine at the moment, so I might leave it until they fix it. Although with no official comment as yet it looks like they're not looking at it...

I might try it later in the week. Thanks!

17. unity-nikkolai

unity-nikkolai

Sorry, been lurking. Haven't had a chance to make a build yet. I'll try to get confirmation on this today. Thanks for digging into this guys, and for posting your research here!

18. Triggles

Triggles

No problem, shout if you need any more information

19. Triggles

Triggles

I got a reply to my support request. Apparently, yes, the iOS build process isn't supported on Windows at the moment, and you do have to copy those files across manually...

I recommended they add it to the documents.

20. Zimmel110

Zimmel110

hi. are there any issues with unityads at the moment ? i don`t get any ads in my 2 apps since this morning.

21. HeikkiTunkelo

HeikkiTunkelo

Unity Technologies

Nothing we could see on delivery.
    On wednesday we delivered about 65 Million ads and I cannot see any anomalies in the stats.

Cheers,
    Heikki

22. Meltdown

Meltdown

@HeikkiTunkelo Is this statement true?

This was posted on Reddit...
    http://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/2d1jn9/has_anybody_used_unity_ads/

"
    I haven't used them but I did chat with one of their reps. The Unity Ad system pays per finished video. Each finished video pays around .02 cents. However, you don't get any extra money if the user downloads the game being advertised. All of the video ads are game related and they have a 90-100% fill rate depending on country. You can also set how often the ad shows up. For example, you can set the ad to show ever 3 Game Overs instead of every Game Over. Overall it's a pretty good system.

The bad news is that the ads can be skipped. If the user skips the ad, you don't get paid. The user must watch the entire ad for you to get your money.

This is the main reason why I use Adcolony. Their service is like Unity ads but their videos cannot be skipped. This is a little more annoying to the players, but luckily,the videos only last about 15 seconds on average. Like Unity ads, Adcolony also let's me set how often the videos show up.
    "

So can Unity ads be skipped and the publisher gets nothing?

23. Meltdown

Meltdown

@HeikkiTunkelo And is only Android and iOS currently supported? Any plans for Windows Phone support?

24. unity-nikkolai

unity-nikkolai

There is an option to allow skipping. This is enabled by default for your standard video/picture zone, which is good because it gives users the option to skip. However, revenue is calculated by completed view, but not video starts.

You can disable this option if you don't want your users skipping videos. The rewarded zone is configured this way by default, since users typically opt into this anyway. Allowing them to skip it would just generate confusion, since you wouldn't reward them if the video was skipped.

As for revenue and monetization, you can find more information in this Q&A section.

Android and iOS are currently our only supported platforms, with the iTunes App Store and the Google Play store being our only supported store fronts for advertising. We do have plans to target Windows Phone as well, but have had to shelve development of the SDK for the time being in order to free up resources needed to better support our current platforms.

Hope that helps answer some of your questions.

Salazar and Meltdown like this.
  25. HeikkiTunkelo

HeikkiTunkelo

Unity Technologies

Short answer: Plans yes, timelines no.

Cheers,
    Heikki

26. henaxing

henaxing

27. goat

goat

Good job.

I'm building up an app over time too so I was think maybe to wait til it's done but then I have teach myself how to ad Unity Ads where I want in the app and how to upload to because I think it causes dist file to be split in two. I think I will go ahead & do Unity Ads now so I will be used to it rather than wait a year.