Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone seen this? Legacy shader when directional light-mapped has too high intensity

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by seattlebluesky, Dec 24, 2014.

1. seattlebluesky

seattlebluesky

Very simple to demonstrate. Two planes. Two point lights in Baked mode. One plane has legacy shader with texture and normal map, the other is a standard shader with the same texture and normal map.

- No light-map and it looks ok. See 1st image.
    - Non-directional light-map is ok and looks similar to no light-map which I'd expect :)
    - Directional or Directional Specular light-maps have the light intensity blown out. See 2nd image.

No Lightmap

NotLightmapped.jpg

Directional Lightmap Lightmapped.jpg

2. Tomza

Tomza

I can confirm. When I built a scene, some materials were VERY bright but in the Editor I didn't see that. Strange! However, when I installed Unity 5.0 Beta 18, the materials looked the same in the Editor and in the build. I used a directional light on the scene.

3. seattlebluesky

seattlebluesky

Good info. Thanks.

Did the materials also looked the same between the Editor and Player when the Player was using baked light-maps? Do your materials have normal maps? This doesn't occur if the materials don't have normal maps, e.g. for bumped shaders.

4. Tomza

Tomza

Did the materials also looked the same between the Editor and Player when the Player was using baked light-maps?

-- They looked the same in the Editor and in the Player. Only when I built the scene, I saw that some material were so bright that I didn't see details.

Do your materials have normal maps?

No normal maps. I use standard shaders (new ones in Unity).

Now, all looks great. No difference between the Editor and Player and the build scene.

5. seattlebluesky

seattlebluesky

I suspect this only occurs when the materials have associated normal maps.

6. robert

robert

Hey, this is a known issue. Right now legacy shaders and user surface shaders won't play nicely with directional lightmaps. Fix coming soon!

seattlebluesky likes this.
  7. seattlebluesky

seattlebluesky

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to it.

8. RegularSlinky

RegularSlinky

How do you guys even have time to put together examples like this whenever you encounter a bug? I've encountered this and countless others. Right now the beta is completely unusable, and I've reverted back to 4.6 so that I can actually make games rather than help unity testers do their jobs.