Search Unity

Anyone running Unity on Raspberry Pi 4 yet?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BrienKing, Aug 12, 2019.

1. BrienKing

BrienKing

Just bought one and would like to see if I can get something running on it. If someone already is running Unity on a Raspberry Pi 4 could you share what you did?

Thanks!

sonofbryce and mstarr like this.
  2. Ryiah

Ryiah

I wasn't aware there was a new model available. I wonder how that managed to sneak past me. We had a thread a few years ago discussing the Raspberry Pi 3 and while we eventually got it to run Unity apps the reality is it quickly slowed to less than 30 FPS with only a few primitives and some scripts.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/current-raspberry-pi-3-b-and-unity-state.614236/#post-4124752

Unfortunately from the looks of it while they greatly improved the processor and memory capacity, the GPU has been left largely untouched and as a result I wouldn't expect an improvement in running Unity apps. If you want to play games on a single board computer my recommendation is one of the Udoo x86 boards as they're based on PC hardware.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/raspberry-pi-4-b,6193.html
    https://www.udoo.org/udoo-x86/

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  3. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

It would however make a great custom controller. Although you could do that with an arduino nano which would limit the form factor of the controller a lot less!

But yeah for game jams this sort of thing is great. For example you could make a game controlled by the knobs on a retro radio :)

4. BrienKing

BrienKing

A little more pricey than a Pi, but not too bad if the 4GB version is usable. Are you running one of these boards? What OS are you running? GPIO connector? The pics look like it, but I need to dig further into the docs.

5. Ryiah

Ryiah

No. I haven't had a need for a system small enough to require a single board computer. A Mini-ITX build is my smallest.

6. yensung

yensung

Maybe use webgl will work.

7. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

WebGL doesn't bypass the fact the GPU has the performance of a low end graphics card from the late 1990's.

rectdev, MadeFromPolygons and Ryiah like this.
  8. Ryiah

Ryiah

If anything performance will be worse due to a complete lack of threading in WebGL. Good luck getting anything remotely resembling acceptable performance out of a single core of an ARM CPU. WebGL is a crutch more than it is a solution.

https://gamedev.stackexchange.com/q...-asset-bundles-are-load-in-main/169987#169987

9. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Yeah I still stand by my original comment that the only real use for this is for things like custom hardware such as controllers etc. Your never going to run a unity app on this unless your trying to develop an old school retro app using similar memory conservation + procedural techniques employed by games in early 1990s and before, but at that point why not get something like a PICO or something as cool as that.

Still I guess if you did that with a arduino or raspberry pi you could make a pretty cool custom built arcade machine or something

10. VirtualPierogi

VirtualPierogi

Look at the progress of box86 emulator wrapper for linux binaries, they managed to get to work some of the mono games, sometimes hitting the 60 fps (for example Jazzpunk is running smoothly), also the creator says that there is much room for improvement because of some driver quirks.

11. neoshaman

neoshaman

it's working with some unity 3d game too, box86 is amazing

12. maxjdickson

maxjdickson

I don't know if this helps but if you install windows, then unity it should work below is a video for installing windows

13. neoshaman

neoshaman

It's not the same windows though, it's arm windows, unity is x86

Joe-Censored likes this.
  14. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

You can also see that at 8:32 that there are no GPU drivers (the GPU doesn't show up in the task manager), which means all the rendering will be done on the CPU. Good luck getting more than 2 frames per second with it :).

15. VirtualPierogi

VirtualPierogi

But still, there is small incentive in creating an armLinux unity build target, raspberry is among other things educational platform, so including raspberry pi (and other sbcs) would look good. Also Linux arm is a popular platform for ai applications.

grobonom and kmcclary like this.
  16. neoshaman

neoshaman

The problem is that broadcom is a bit coy about his driver, and it's been an issue for rpi user since forever, so much there was an initiative to reverse engineer the gpu to write driver for, but the RPI4 us a new iteration of teh chip, so the effort must restart for that one. If broadcome don't comply, I don't expect unity to follow, @Tautvydas-Zilys will probably confirmed or not.

17. grobonom

grobonom

I wish this can be done :)
    Mebe we can dream of U3D targetting at linux on ARM ?

Happy unitying !

18. masterrey

masterrey

19. MDADigital

MDADigital

And I think that Unity is slow on my AMD 5950x :p

20. yoonitee

yoonitee

If Unity doesn't work on the Raspberry Pi 400, well then maybe there is a gap in the market for a Raspberry PI based game engine???

21. sxa

sxa

There are multiple game engines targetting the Pi.

22. vuacachua2020

vuacachua2020

I can't download it because it is not support for Unity.