Search Unity

Anyone know a good site for a portfolio for art?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eToxic, Jul 30, 2019.

1. eToxic

eToxic

Just trying to either make or use a website to have my art uploaded too... Thousands of Pixel art, Hud, Logos, Stream art.. Going to waste sitting on my desktop harddrive, plus if it ever crashed... Yikes! Please reply if you know one thank you <3

2. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

artstation is the primarily used + industry accepted site to use

3. Mauri

Mauri

ArtStation (commonly used), Behance, DeviantArt

4. eToxic

eToxic

Thanks guys <3

5. Tzan

Tzan

You can't have your art on just one drive!!!!!!!!!!
    Use a cloud service, Dropbox, Google, the Microsoft one, another hard drive, a usb stick, a usb external hard drive, do all of them, please.

Martin_H likes this.
  6. eToxic

eToxic

Yes, this is what I was thinking because if something goes wrong

7. Tzan

Tzan

I poked around on Artstation a bit and if your account is not used for a while they can delete it all.
    Not sure if they ever have done that.
    I didnt see any Gig limits.
    Its really a portfolio site not long term storage. So if you put stuff there, store it someplace else too. :)

Oh hey, post an image here!

8. eToxic

eToxic

Ok ill post an image! Actually ill post the image version and the video of it.

9. eToxic

eToxic

I dont know why it wont let me post the picture how do I do so? lol

10. kdgalla

kdgalla

Did you click the "Upload a File" button?

11. Owen-Reynolds

Owen-Reynolds

Yes. This is two completely different problems. Just basic cloud storage for the photoshop files with all of the layers, and so on. Maybe a thumb drive as well. No different from backing-up anything else. Then a portfolio site for the (watermarked, since people will steal them, unless they're images of 3D models) jpeg thumbnails.

12. kdgalla

kdgalla

Surely people will steal the images of 3D models too. For their own portfolios, maybe.

13. Owen-Reynolds

Owen-Reynolds

I feel like most images are stolen for store sings, bookmarks, T-shirts, self-published book covers ... end-users who could have legitimately paid you a small amount, but justify it as "everything on the internet is free". Images of low-poly models are no good for that. Seems like someone blatantly dishonest enough to steal art for a portfolio is probably also incompetent -- you may get business from someone who tried to hire them then found out the art was really yours. How good is Google images?

From what I remember, game modeler portfolios want to have very low-poly models with small textures. "See this average-looking image? It's 38 verts and a 128x128 texture!!" The clash-like Rival Kingdoms (I think made with Unity) is my favorite example. Most games like that used 2D pictures for troops, with preset drawings for the view from 8 different angles. Rival Kingdoms' dev pages showed the concept art and the 3D models. Super low-poly. They had spikes for legs, no feet, and "glove" hands. But with the animation (which means vertex support, which is another low-poly challenge) they looked really good. And anyone in the business knows you can't just click "Decimate" over and over to do that.

14. Martin_H

Martin_H

Did anyone here (or elsewhere) ever try doing an automated annual paid-service reverse image lookup of their entire art portfolio, to see all the places where it gets shown/used/stolen? Not sure I even wanna know myself to be honest.

Do you believe someone who can't tell a real portfolio from a fake one is able to reverse image search and track down the source? I doubt it.

Please forgive me if I'm being rude, but we've had some very astonishing people here in the past... I read that post of yours as "I'm an artist, where can I upload my vast archive of original artwork?", but after seeing you struggle with linking images on a forum I just have to ask... are these your own artworks, or just artworks that you've collected from the web and elsewhere? I'm having a hard time believing that anyone walks the bumpy road of becoming an artist long enough to create "thousands" of original pieces, without ever posting images online on a forum, or making any backups of their work. Especially when you're working digitally and creating for example pixelart?! I mean, it's not impossible, but it seems quite unusual to me.

15. Owen-Reynolds

Owen-Reynolds

I don't know about the OP, but skilled people often have tech gaps. I once worked for an excellent manager who needed me to explain what to look for in an independent 3D modeler -- low vs. high-poly, and how only a "rigged" model could be animated, and so on.

Likewise I've know talented physical artists who learn to use those computer sketch pads, and enough photoshop, but never really understand computers, or see a need to.

Martin_H likes this.
  16. eToxic

eToxic

Snake_Yellow.png Green_Snake.png Blue_Snake.png
    Nope they're mine, nice way to make people look weird though :)

Martin_H likes this.
  17. Ryiah

Ryiah

Unity's forums now have an extension that is preventing people with very low post counts from posting images. Once you've made more than a handful of posts (it appears to be around five or so) the restriction goes away.

Martin_H likes this.
  18. eToxic

eToxic

Yeah I wasn't allowed, so its okay always trolls everywhere on the internet hehe

Martin_H likes this.
  19. Martin_H

Martin_H

Nice! I'm glad to be wrong on this one and I do apologize!
    But like I said, you wouldn't believe some of the people we've seen pass through here, so by now not much would surprise me.

We have a small artwork wip thread if you want to share your work more regularly here:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/wip-small-works-art-thread.145172/

20. Mauri

Mauri

FYI: Imgur URLs like
    https://imgur.com/2RWbdoO
    won't work when you embed them via .

After uploading your image, there will be a three dot menu while hovering over the image itself. Clicking on it will reveal multiple options - including "Get share links". Click on that option and it will open up a dialog modal. What you then need is the code under "BBCode (Forums)".

Alternatively, just remember this url (and replace <urlcode> with e.g. 2RWbdoO :p):
    https://i.imgur.com/<urlcode>.png

Ryiah likes this.