Search Unity

Anyone know a good place to find N64 style textures.

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Wolfgabe, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Wolfgabe

Wolfgabe

I am currently experimenting to see if I could potentially create an N64 styled platformer with Unity in terms of both of look and feel. I am currently trying to figure out a good place to find some N64 based textures so I can use them as a point of reference. Anyone know of a good place for such things?

2. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner

I haven't tried it, but this looks like what you are looking for: http://origami64.net/showthread.php?tid=784 It looks like a program that pulls the texture info out of roms that you can download from the internet as long as you also own the cartridge. Just don't pirate the rom, it's illegal to easily download roms from one of the many rom download sites.

3. kdgalla

kdgalla

Can't you just take any texture and resample so that it's absurdly low-res? You can even use Unity's import settings to do that.

4. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner

I agree with kdgalla, I’m pretty sure N64 developers often made their creations with high-res texture which they then compressed to make them fit. There are plenty of places in Mario where you can see a sign that’s gots blurry text. It’s highly likely that the texture was once readable at like 512x512 and the quality was lost when they came down to 128s.

Reducing the complexity of the lightmapper would also help give you that look. You could probably find some articles on how some N64 devs baked lighting, it was all pretty basic radiosity.

The strange lighting is what I think of when I think of N64 games. I’m not really even sure why, devs had already figured it how to do good lighting. Perhaps it was the shaders.

5. kdgalla

kdgalla

I'm pretty sure shaders weren't really a thing back then. I'm guessing the the 64 had fixed-function hardware but the color and vertex resolution were probably just barely enough to get some crude result.

6. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner

Yeah, I didn’t mean it like modern shaders. I still seem to remember that different types of vertex interpolation was still called shading. “Phong shading” was likely the algorithm.

7. Wolfgabe

Wolfgabe