Search Unity

Anyone got Modo201 FBX files working?

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by lurid, Jun 21, 2006.

1. lurid

lurid

Two major problems I have so far:

1. Faces come into Unity inside-out, so I have to manually flip before I export the FBX from Modo

2. UV textures are not correct (I'm guessing because of #1). The UV seams are not in the correct place, but I can see the details I've painted on the textures.

I made simple cube and sphere unit primitives with their default UVs generated by Modo, so I can't say for sure this would happen with custom-unwrapped/UV'd objects, but I'd expect so.

I noticed in the Luxology forums that some were commenting on Maya's bad handling of Modo FBX files, so its likely a Lux problem.

Has anyone had better luck? I'll post images tomorrow if anyone's curious, and I'll likely be popping in at Lux forums about this then too.

I think I'm almost back on this stuff full time, missed hanging out here ;)

Russ

2. Marble

Marble

I've had some problems getting FBXs into and out of Modo since forever. Unity seems to behave similarly to the other 3d progs to object to its way of handling the format (Cheetah 3D, Cinema 4D, to name those I've tested).

3. taumel

taumel

4. lurid

lurid

Thanks Taumel, I scanned that thread but missed Richard's post about the error.

Too bad, but oh well. Saving Modo->LW->Unity is not too bad.

5. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Anyone having trouble exporting, please send me the modo files that don't importer proper.

I wanted to get in touch with the luxology guys anyway.

I think there was a collada exporter for modo, you might want to check that route too. Does modo export .obj, .3ds or .dxf?

6. Richard_B

Richard_B

Yes - Modo's fbx is still broken - we will have to wait for 202 before it is fixed :( However, Modo does have obj (which seems to work fine - I just did a quick test). It also has a collada exporter but it is a script which you have to load yourself - you can download it from:

http://www.vertexmonkey.com/general_scripts_IO.php

Currently Modo Exports to:

LightWave .lws
    Loxology .lxo
    Web3D standard X3D
    FBX
    Photoshop. PSD
    Maya
    Collada (script)
    Dirext X (script)

I think that is about it.

Richard.