Search Unity

Anyone found a way to make particles properly face the player without flipping?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Chimer0s, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Chimer0s

Chimer0s

So I'm trying to add some ambient fog to the dungeon I've got in my game and by far the best option I've found is to set the render alignment to facing. This effectively looks how you'd expect where clouds always look full and they don't rotate when you rotate your head, it's just a gradual shift to always face the player. Perfect...except that when you're facing backwards (- on the world Z axis) they flip upside down to face you. It's as though they're all using transform.LookAt without setting the up vector. Has anyone found a way around this? If I could just stop these damn things from rotating upside down when looking in that one direction, I'd be so thrilled with the effect. As of now it's unusable and every other option is actually worse. (Note, the player is walking through the fog so it needs to look correct from the sides, otherwise I'd have no problem using a vertical billboard or aligning to velocity/direction).

If I can't get this to work I'll have to resort to meshes, which are generally less performant, although I'd be happy to receive any advice on how to make them more performant as a viable alternative.

2. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Hey could you file a bug report about this please?

3. Chimer0s

Chimer0s

Will do.

richardkettlewell likes this.