Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else having game crashes on startup on some systems?

Discussion in '2019.1 Beta' started by nongbenzgames, Jan 31, 2019.

1. nongbenzgames

nongbenzgames

This is a tough one, because it doesn't happen on my system but just for 2 remote testers in Russia and Poland. While for me and others it works fine.

No logs produced and nothing of value in System event log. Just immediate crash since the 2019.1 alphas. 2018.3.3 and before work fine in the same systems.

Tried different graphics cards and settings to no avail. Just have the screenshot of the error below. Seems to be a UnityEngine issue but again I can't replicate on my system so hard to diagnose.

2. nongbenzgames

nongbenzgames

Some more info if it can be useful.

info.png info2.png

3. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I guess it helps if you attach the crash dumps. If an Unity player crashes, it saves a "crash.dmp" and "error.log" file in this folder:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. C:\Users\%UserName%\AppData\LocalLow\<CompanyName>\<ProductName>\Crashes
    Where <CompanyName> and <ProductName> would be what you specified in the Player Settings.

Please attach these files here.

nongbenzgames likes this.
  4. nongbenzgames

nongbenzgames

Thanks Peter. I asked them to check the crashes subfolder but nothing and no log too... I'll roll back to 2018 for now, shame because 2019 fixes some issues but introduces this incompatibility with some systems.

Thought it might've been some localization thing but I had them change regional settings to US and they're using 64 bit systems same as me but still no luck.

5. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

charlesb_rm likes this.
  6. nongbenzgames

nongbenzgames

7. nongbenzgames

nongbenzgames

Call stack on crash.
    Untitled.png

8. nickrapp

nickrapp

Unity Technologies

We have a fix for this exact issue in the queue. Most common cause is when we try to open the logfile for writing but cannot, due to it being locked by another process, read only, etc. So until we have a fix, you may be able to workaround the issue by explicitly specifying a different log file on the command line, or ensuring nothing is locking that file.

nongbenzgames likes this.
  9. nongbenzgames

nongbenzgames

Ok yes, that narrowed the problem. I found why it was affecting international users... If the default log path (%LOCALAPPDATA%) has any international characters (spaces too I think), it will CTD... Using the command line to force the log path to somewhere safe (no Unicode characters I guess) works. I think Steam allows launching with parameters so I'll try that.

Edit: Submitted bug report Case 1122909

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  10. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

I don't think it's related to Unicode characters. My %LOCALAPPDATA% has both spaces and unicode characters and I cannot reproduce this problem.

11. nongbenzgames

nongbenzgames

I shouldve said non-ascii characters. I haven't tested by changing my windows username but you can try by launching with something like..

DefaultGame.exe -logfile "%CD%\FolderДд\output_log.txt"

It crashes for me, confirmed by..

https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...he-logfile-path-contains-non-ascii-characters