Search Unity

1. Calling all beginners! Join the FPS Beginners Mods Challenge until December 13.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. It's Cyber Week at the Asset Store!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone checked out this game yet?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Darkjayson, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Darkjayson

Darkjayson

Watch this first http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YxBSYit49c8 and get past the first part with the shooting and the bugs to get to the good bits :) wow

Just saw this on rock paper shotgun and after getting the alpha demo from there torrent (the main site was nuked when notch linked there page) i was surprised to see it was made in unity when i got it.

This is the rock paper shotgun article so you can read more about it.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/05/31/starforge-has-blocks-building-much-much-more/

This is the most impressive thing I have seen been made in unity so far.

2. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Looks pretty cool

3. kamisama

kamisama

I threw my money at the screen.

4. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

LOL... awesome reaction

can almost imagine it

5. SteveJ

SteveJ

That looks EXTREMELY good. Definitely one of the worst rain effects I've ever seen though :)

6. Haledire

Haledire

Looks quite impressive. They really seam to love those spinning gadgets for the physics samples. I just hope they have a logical solution for trying to come down from space... Interesting as that is... that's a long time to wind up sitting there if you really wanna build a space station and happen to... slip.

I did note one odd thing that seemed to distract me slightly at the start - Does this sound familiar?

Terraria, Eye of Cthulu's "grunting" noise:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=U7wE0NReAVw#t=174s

StarForge, in the background:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=YxBSYit49c8#t=52s

Is that sound from some sort of sound pack or something? I suppose they might have just grabbed it out of Terraria for a placeholder (they did cite it as an inspiration anyway).

7. TehWut

TehWut

looks like minecraft but not as creative

;)

8. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

9. lmbarns

lmbarns

Nope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just downloaded and it's most definitely Unity.

The demo was just a plain world though, you'd think they'd at least add a gun and one of those spinny things or something..........

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  10. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

Minecraft was more creative :p

Seriously though, to see a game like this is refreshing

11. hizral

hizral

its using UNITY.

12. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Honestly not that impressed, I mean, it looks like quite a generic FPS, its got a generic terrain edditing system like in Farcry but in first person. If this is an indie product then bloody nora the graphics are great. but im not oo-raa'ing about it.

13. Meltdown

Meltdown

Very nice. something different and a breath of fresh air.

14. _Petroz

_Petroz

That is a very impressive video. Really nice visual design, the 3D tileset is beautiful. The space stuff looked great too. What I saw of the 'gameplay' didn't really appeal to me, but overall it's a well made demo and quite an achievement. I'm taking this as a tech demo, and I assume the gameplay will come later. It's an impressive world and I look forward to seeing where they take it.

Forum link:
    http://www.forgeforums.com/

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  15. UNITY3D_TEAM

UNITY3D_TEAM

this game is free?

16. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Looks cool, gave me an idea that i think would make the editing more "Cool".

17. Darkjayson

Darkjayson

Been playing the demo, if you press 1 there is a gun you can use to fire 2 is build stuff and so on press esc then guide for the keys.

From what I have read this is an indi game, its an early alpha demo basically a showing of the tech i.e. tile based construction and ground modification.

For something only a few guys are doing its very impressive.

18. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Kudos to them. They have done fantastic work and it has gone completely viral!

Gigi.

PS - The marketing is terrible! They need to tell a story - I could help with that.

19. tatoforever

tatoforever

20. TehWut

TehWut

did I mention I hate X + Y games?

21. _Petroz

_Petroz

Just downloaded it. It's pretty cool. Needs a lot of polish and optimization but it has a good feel to it. A really amazing effort for just two guys. It feels like minecraft+halo with some tower defense, it will be really interesting to see what it's like when they add team multiplayer!

22. Mauri

Mauri

My first thought, when i saw the video, was UDK too. Looks pretty decent. And it's even free :0

23. ludiares

ludiares

This is freaking awesome.

24. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

This is the type of independent game everyone should be aiming to design. We have the technology to make these 'infinite' freedom and whole planet size maps. This is the kind of gameplay that captivates audiences and imagination, and I love that somebody seems to agree with me that we should be focusing on graphics as well. ;)

25. kingcharizard

kingcharizard

26. John Brock

John Brock

Looks like interesting gameplay but the flood lights bugged me. The light beam comes to a tiny point in the middle of the giant lens.

27. virror

virror

Looks very cool, but i agree the lightning and general effects looks crappy, but i guess they will improve on that later.

28. DavidBrandon

DavidBrandon

not bad.

i like it too...

29. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

To be real though, this is a good idea but has rather bad implementation(So far) :( I can see it being a success but it needs allot of work(It is there first playable version though) i feel that notch just skrewed them over now everyone will play it and say "Well that was bad" and never look at it again, say if notch tweeted it after it came out then maybe it would have helped them.